The forums aren't fun anymore

"
TheWretch wrote:
I agree with your sig but things like Hitler or 9/11 for example would be exceptions to that for me. If you had maybe say a relative that suffered in one of said tragedies and decided to cope with humor, that would be more socially acceptable. To make light of atrocities one has no personal link to in the name of humor is just in poor taste, I think.

Your logic is absolutely ridiculous.

Just because one isnt directly involved doesnt mean one does not understand that X thing is bad and a joke isnt equal to advocating it.
In fact, if we go that way, many relatives of said people who never got to meet said people cant talk either.
Hell, if people cant understand it, why even teach it in school? this would defeat the whole purpose of education about said tragedies.

and the more you talk about the subject, the more Im lead to believe you have no idea what dark humour is.
Oblivious
Hmm agree to disagree I guess? If your definition of dark humor is just low brow then yes, we see it differently. It doesn't take much wit to take potshots at easy targets.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
TheWretch wrote:
Hmm agree to disagree I guess? If your definition of dark humor is just low brow then yes, we see it differently. It doesn't take much wit to take potshots at easy targets.

I'd say it takes a very low wit to advocate for normalization of censorship.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 25, 2015, 11:42:38 PM
and men, it really sucks to talk about it here. because the limits of the freedom of expression in the forums make it so one cannot give examples and compare what is acceptable and what is not. This is why most of this conversation is about supposition rather than fact.

No need to test the waters, I know this for a fact due to having an old post in the past removed that just talked about the differences in meaning and usage of the "N word" with the "ER" and the "AH" ending. (and the previous picture mentioned ofc)
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 25, 2015, 11:47:20 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
The regulars are on probation all the time and I even miss the blatant shitposters, that's how bad it is. I'm actually working at work instead of lurking the forums. This sucks.

I remember when I used to post on these forums.
I loved the "Melee is balanced l2p" and "Desync can never be fixed" threads.
Then it got boring getting banned every 3 days.

[Post Edited by Support]
If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.
Last edited by Yeran_GGG on May 26, 2015, 4:32:04 AM
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:

I'm not for any kind of censorship all other things being equal, I don't want to give you the wrong impression and i'm afraid I may have.

I'm all for being able to talk about, laugh at or dump on absolutely anything. I'm just saying it's a matter of time and place. I personally don't think of a videogame forum as being an appropriate venue for those kinds of politically or emotionally charged jokes that can unwillingly lead to making other users who came here to talk about PoE feel uncomfortable.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on May 25, 2015, 11:52:04 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:

I'm not for any kind of censorship all other things being equal, I don't want to give you the wrong impression and i'm afraid I may have.

I'm all for being able to talk about, laugh at or dump on absolutely anything. I'm just saying it's a matter of time and place. I personally don't think of a videogame forum as being an appropriate venue for those kinds of politically or emotionally charged jokes that can unwillingly lead to making other users who came here to talk about PoE uncomfortable.

this is why I originally referred to off-topic.

Still, I, as someone with years of counseling others, absolutely detest the culture of outrage and taboo. Or rather, the groups that advocate such.
They do little more than guilt-tripping others, create further censorship, diminish discussion (and therefore progress) and far far worse, they make a person that had a horrible experience have the experience define them as a person, this coupled with the fact that they like to claim they are the only ones on the side of such victims, makes for both paranoia and wounds always open. They are anti-healing and destructive, and I think they dont even realize it. as they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Well, maybe I digress, maybe not. honestly, 5 Am, not thinking straight, just going to sleep.
Oblivious
"
Xavderion wrote:

I posted a Hitler gif the other day and got 24 hour probation for it. It was Hitler looking sad/distressed with the caption 'what has the world come to?'. 100% harmless shit but it got deleted and I got banned. I wouldn't even call it dark humor I guess for real dark humor I'd get a 30 day ban..

Personally I wouldn't have been offended by it, mainly because nothing really offends me, but having had members of my family executed in concentration camps, I can't see anything funny in Hitler references either and I can understand how other people might find this less 'harmless' and feel offended by it. So, IMHO that sort of stuff deserved to be removed.
"
Disrupted wrote:

Still, I, as someone with years of counseling others, absolutely detest the culture of outrage and taboo. Or rather, the groups that advocate such.
They do little more than guilt-tripping others, create further censorship, diminish discussion (and therefore progress) and far far worse, they make a person that had a horrible experience have the experience define them as a person, this coupled with the fact that they like to claim they are the only ones on the side of such victims, makes for both paranoia and wounds always open. They are anti-healing and destructive, and I think they dont even realize it. as they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"

All too true. In fact, the behavior of those who claim proprietary "championship" of others is often exploitative. It's certainly not empowering, in such instances. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
blubbber wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

I posted a Hitler gif the other day and got 24 hour probation for it. It was Hitler looking sad/distressed with the caption 'what has the world come to?'. 100% harmless shit but it got deleted and I got banned. I wouldn't even call it dark humor I guess for real dark humor I'd get a 30 day ban..

Personally I wouldn't have been offended by it, mainly because nothing really offends me, but having had members of my family executed in concentration camps, I can't see anything funny in Hitler references either and I can understand how other people might find this less 'harmless' and feel offended by it. So, IMHO that sort of stuff deserved to be removed.

The problem is that, for many people, Hitler was and shall always remain a great, historical evil, an example from which we must learn vigilance against the rise of some similar evil. For other people, however, he may end up being just that "funny man in the internet memes."

The risk of trivializing someone like Hitler, much like denying the Holocaust, is the concurrent risk of forgetting the past in proper context. I'm just glad it's not my job to provide an answer to the question of how to handle internet meme Hitler on this forum. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info