The forums aren't fun anymore

"
Tmfm wrote:
"
Hodari wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
When people stop posting entirely and each sub-forum is getting like 1 post a day, all that will be left is "Was it worth it?"

Honestly, I'd rather see 1 or 2 GOOD posts a day than 100 posts of the kind of crap these forums were getting before.

yup.

I'd like to state the implications of this scenario:

- You can't come to the Official Game Forums for help or to find useful information.
- You can't come to the forums for entertainment.
- Individual forums lose their purpose. If Bug Reports doesn't get bug reports, then it's useless. Forum traffic overall most likely heavily influences individual subreddit forum traffic.

If you genuinely are happy with those implications, then that's cool. But you're basically just saying you would prefer a dead, useless, empty forum. And I disagree with, and would not want, that.

There were flaws with the past forums state, I don't think I've ever said otherwise. And yeah, I did like the past forum state. But I don't think the current state is an improvement over the past forum state. I think there were and are significantly better options available.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on May 24, 2015, 12:06:46 PM
"
Madbrownkid wrote:
i like reading all the stupid trolling crap and seeing ppl get mad, i dont play while i eat but i sure as hell love killing time with a hamburger reading a post about religion and diablo 3. I dont see whats wrong, you dont have to read it... this game has always been good on player freedom, mods letting you curse and stuff online.... i love it, now this games turning into north korea.... they are selling out....

It is nigh impossible to find games that aren't complete carebear shitfests any longer. Eve, HoN are the only two I can think of.
"
DestroTheGod wrote:

- You can't come to the Official Game Forums for help or to find useful information.
- Individual forums lose their purpose. If Bug Reports doesn't get bug reports, then it's useless. Forum traffic overall most likely heavily influences individual subreddit forum traffic.

If you genuinely are happy with those implications, then that's cool. But you're basically just saying you would prefer a dead, useless, empty forum. And I disagree with, and would not want, that.

There were flaws with the past forums state, I don't think I've ever said otherwise. And yeah, I did like the past forum state. But I don't think the current state is an improvement over the past forum state. I think there were and are significantly better options available.

The current state of the forum will not stay that way. Reasons why the forum is dead right now:

- It's between leagues
- 2.0 is yet to come
- It's summertime
- The forum/guidelines overhaul
- The beta forum
- Charan and Moonyu have gone awol, and there are some probations
- The effect from all of the above leading people to abandon the forum for a while because it's dead

But all of that except one changes with the release of 2.0.
Last edited by Jojas on May 24, 2015, 12:21:40 PM
"
Jojas wrote:
The current state of the forum will not stay that way. Reasons why the forum is dead right now:

- It's between leagues
- 2.0 is yet to come
- It's summertime
- The beta forum
- The effect from all of the above leading people to abandon the forum for a while because it's dead

You can't guarantee that this forum will 'not' stay this way, even post 2.0. Neither of us can predict that the future. While it might seem entirely unrealistic to you that it wouldn't gain it's steam back, it isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I do agree that it will pick up after 2.0. But the important factor is duration. For how long will the forums remain active before losing its steam? I'd say 2 weeks max and being generous.

That list is pretty bad.

- You're 2nd list element is pretty much the same as your first one; league timings. I think this and the guidelines one are the only valid points.
- Summer has happened in the past and PoE forums didn't die like this before.
- I'm glad you agree that the forum is dead at least in part because of the forum/guidelines overhaul.
- Beta forum is pretty inactive compared to past forum activity. Go check for yourself. I can't make this stuff up. But if you call that active, then well, I don't know man we just have to agree to disagree. Historically the posting content there seems very low to me though.
- Charan is probated and obv Moonyu left. If I were still more active on these forums to keep up with what has been going on lately I would have probably left sooner.

--

If I was told two months ago by somebody that the forums would be the way they are right now I'd call that person crazy. I'm not even trying to be a drama queen about this. I'm trying to be as honest, unbiased, factual, and concise about this situation as possible. If you check my post history you can see I've only posted in these 'moderation' threads and nowhere else lately. It's not intentional, I just check the forums and there is nowhere else to post. And remember, I'm a forum regular with a perfectly clean moderation record. I am NOT one of the trolls/flamers/ragers, etc. people are so happy to be rid of. I think I'm a model citizen (hehe) if I do say so myself. I'm only posting in these threads lately because I am (or at least was) passionate about these forums. But that has at least died off for now until 2.0.

Anyway, I've blown enough time here today posting. A lot more than I intended. There are a lot of differing opinions on all of these topics. Hopefully Support figures this shit out lest these forums permanently suffer.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on May 24, 2015, 12:57:23 PM

Leagues shouldn't be an excuse a good game shouldn't need leagues to begin with.

Do you expect 2.0 to come right away? It will be months and months and at some point the devs have to decide to make put CB on a Live server and add a few areas and do marketing for full A4 as A4x. GGG works far less effective they expect themselves to be.
Remember how many times OB has been delayed.
It's not 1 act every 2 years it's 0,6 acts every 2 years.

Summertime hasn't much do with it there are simply newer move interesting games.

And Charan? That irony....

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1250612/page/16#p10528374

The forum is expected to become less and less active.

"
DestroTheGod wrote:
"
Jojas wrote:

- It's between leagues
- 2.0 is yet to come
- It's summertime
- The beta forum

You can't guarantee that this forum will 'not' stay this way, even post 2.0. Neither of us can predict that the future. While it might seem entirely unrealistic to you that it wouldn't gain it's steam back, it isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I do agree that it will pick up after 2.0. But the important factor is duration. For how long will the forums remain active before losing its steam? I'd say 2 weeks max and being generous.

That list is pretty bad.

- You're 2nd list element is pretty much the same as your first one; league timings. I think this and the guidelines one are the only valid points.
- Summer has happened in the past and PoE forums didn't die like this before.
- I'm glad you agree that the forum is dead at least in part because of the forum/guidelines overhaul.
- Beta forum is pretty inactive compared to past forum activity. Go check for yourself. I can't make this stuff up. But if you call that active, then well, I don't know man we just have to agree to disagree. Historically the posting content there seems very low to me though.
- Charan is probated and obv Moonyu left. If I were still more active on these forums to keep up with what has been going on lately I would have probably left sooner.

--

If I was told two months ago by somebody that the forums would be the way they are right now I'd call that person crazy. I'm not even trying to be a drama queen about this. I'm trying to be as honest, unbiased, factual, and concise about this situation as possible. If you check my post history you can see I've only posted in these 'moderation' threads and nowhere else lately. It's not intentional, I just check the forums and there is nowhere else to post. And remember, I'm a forum regular with a perfectly clean moderation record. I am NOT one of the trolls/flamers/ragers, etc. people are so happy to be rid of. I think I'm a model citizen (hehe) if I do say so myself. I'm only posting in these threads lately because I am (or at least was) passionate about these forums. But that has at least died off for now until 2.0.

Anyway, I've blown enough time here today posting. A lot more than I intended. There are a lot of differing opinions on all of these topics. Hopefully Support figures this shit out lest these forums permanently suffer.

Of course I don't really know anything. It's all just a guess. But the points I mentioned combine, and all of them lead to less forum activity, and once that is an issue it can lead to a downward spiral.

I agree that the first two points could be made into one, but then again not. Just imagine there were an interesting 2-months or 3-months league during the beta of 2.0. I'm sure there would be quite a few people talking about its conditions and/or PoE in general. But since GGG did a whooppsie on that, there is basically nothing to talk about.

Summer might have not been a big issue in the past, but in this case more people than usual might have re-organized their priorities.

The lame duck that is the beta forum surprised me as well, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

Both Charan and MoonYu are on holidays. I'm quite sure Charan asked to get probated because I remember him doing so in the past, when he doesn't want to feel tempted to visit the forum. That's just speculation of course. I don't think that either of them are forum magnets whose presence decides about its state, but I think their absence contributes, as all the other factors, to what the forum is now.

Anyway, I think it's wrong to blame it all on the WIP forum layout and the new guidelines. It's a very important part for sure, but not even close to all of it.
Most problem i have/had is the manipulation of post or their deletion from mods. This should only be the ultimo ratio but it´s used in common fashion and is considered the "standard" in these forums. When someone is punished this way the community learns nothing out of it why that happened in the first place just this single person alone. There is no educational effect.

When someone is muted/banned for breaking the guideline please consider to let the text exist with a explanation under the text why the person is punished so everybody can see why. Exceptions prove the rule like racist insults and this very hard stuff.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
Too bad I dont have a beta key nor money to buy a 30$ pack...

I would love to try the beta.

You did hit the button to register for the random selection, right? It could still happen. =^[.]^=

Its funny. I want so bad to play it and others have it and sell it on other forums. It is stupid!
"
DestroTheGod wrote:

How exactly does removing malicious or spam like posts prevent people from finding help or useful information? Bug reports shouldn't be impacted at all. I mean, it isn't like any of the bug reports that are useful would be filtered out. I'd argue that getting rid of malicious or spam like posts would make it easier for people to use the forums to find information.

It does remove a certain element of entertainment. I will grant that. It may be true that it would discourage some folks from posting on the forums. That being said, it might encourage others to post if they were a bit more confident they wouldn't be flammed or have their posts spammed with useless responses. Y'know, the people who would be coming here looking for useful information. I don't think it should become totally joyless around here, but it should be REASONABLY welcoming for new folks who just want to get their voice out there.

First time posters should feel welcome to post positive feedback without being call a 'white knight' of a 'fan boi'. Conversely, negative feedback should be just as welcome. It probably would result in fewer useful negative feedback posts if the OP knew the only responses he would get were ' get gud ', or ' you are such a noob '. Is it such a bad thing if these sorts of responses were no longer expected responses?
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
Madbrownkid wrote:
i like reading all the stupid trolling crap and seeing ppl get mad, i dont play while i eat but i sure as hell love killing time with a hamburger reading a post about religion and diablo 3. I dont see whats wrong, you dont have to read it... this game has always been good on player freedom, mods letting you curse and stuff online.... i love it, now this games turning into north korea.... they are selling out....

You, like the one talking about his "stressful life" forget something: this is a company's website. If you want fun, stress-relief and stuff: reddit, youtube, and so on.
If you love this company and know how small it is and sztuff: why act like we are on the forums of ubisoft, blizzard and all the other big time players? "Oh i had a bad day, let us make GGG's day also bad". Eat your hamburger. Enjoy. But don't forget, that every troll costs money. And your comparison is just bad. Ugly bad.

I really don't get it. This is not a fan-forum.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on May 24, 2015, 6:11:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info