Trading for Newbies

"
Billydanomad wrote:

4. If you see an item that is obviously way under priced, its likely a typo or some person is not very knowledgeable about the marketplace. Its unethical to try and get it for that price. I'm not saying not to try and get a discount but when you see an item you know is conservatively worth an exalted and its priced on poe.trade for 1 chaos its tantamount to stealing. Be honest because you will still get a good deal in most these kind of situations.

I could not stop giggling at the ''tantamount to stealing''

fucking quality thread boys. q u a l i t y
IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin
Let's say some inexperienced guy offers a GG rare ring for 10c.

You snap it off and resell it for 20 Exas.

What is the consequence?

You made an awesome deal and increase your wealth by 19.75 Exas. At the same time, the guy also *thinks* that he made a good deal because apparently, he was willing to sell you the ring for 10c. He feels that he is better off than before. His utility has increased. Most likely, he will never ever think about that transaction again.

What is the alternative? You try to educate the guy how much his ring is worth, and offer him a deal that seems fair to you (how much would that be?). Well, say you offer him 18 Exas.

The only thing that changed relative to the first scenario is that you gave him a direct transfer of your (potential) wealth. He is now (much) happier than before (or isn't he?), you are (much) less happy.

Why do you care so much about the utility of a guy that you don't know and that you will never encounter again? Why do you feel that you have to donate him 18 Exas? He would have been happy in the first place. Do you really put that little weight on your own well-being relative to a random guy who might not even appreciate your donation? Seems strange to me.
All of these offensively uncaring amoral (or outright immoral) responses to the original post are the second biggest reason I don't step one foot into the trading in this game. I'm not giving anyone like that anything of mine, even if it means simply vendoring what they'd have bought for more than the in-game shop.

Good job!
In so doing, you deprive yourself and others of mutually beneficial trades.

Seems way more immoral and unreasonable to me than to occasionally profit from an unknowing seller (who is at least happy to execute the trade -- otherwise he simply wouldn't do it).

After a (seemingly) unfair trade, at least both people are better off afterwards. If you don't trade at all although it would be mutually beneficial, you just create a welfare loss.

But of course, it's "a game" and "we should just focus on killing monsters" and "who cares about the economy" and blah blah.
AAANNNDDD - of course this thread went off topic with the very first reply. The title is "TRADING FOR NEWBIES". Do you think new players actually have much in the way of capital? They do not. Do you think new players have much of value to sell? They do not. Forget exalts -- new players are lucky to have a single chaos. Their level of buy/sell is orbs of alchemy.

New players are not flippers nor major traders. They don't have the inventory nor the capital to acquire it. They are just getting their feet wet.

The rules in the base note are accurate and useful for new players.
Last edited by PraetorDei on May 20, 2015, 12:24:05 PM
"
habkor wrote:
In so doing, you deprive yourself and others of mutually beneficial trades.

Seems way more immoral and unreasonable to me than to occasionally profit from an unknowing seller (who is at least happy to execute the trade -- otherwise he simply wouldn't do it).

What if its your friend? Does your moral outlook change?
"
PraetorDei wrote:
AAANNNDDD - of course this thread went off topic with the very first reply. The title is "TRADING FOR NEWBIES". Do you think new players actually have much in the way of capital? They do not.

So surely if players have skill from other games they can acquire items for less than they are worth?

Uhhh.. benefiting new players?
A friend is a person with whom I interact with regularly, care about their well-being, and also try to build or maintain trust and allow for reciprocity.

I can hardly say that about a random stranger playing an online game. His (her) only thought process might be "lol traeding sux 10c for everthing, wanna kil monsterz". Why should I dump currency into such a player?
"
habkor wrote:
A friend is a person with whom I interact with regularly, care about their well-being, and also try to build or maintain trust and allow for reciprocity.

I can hardly say that about a random stranger playing an online game. His (her) only thought process might be "lol traeding sux 10c for everthing, wanna kil monsterz". Why should I dump currency into such a player?

So no problem ripping off a stranger but a friend is off-limits...you do not care about integrity with strangers just your friends. I do not respect that outlook at all.
Last edited by Billydanomad on May 20, 2015, 12:44:40 PM
"
habkor wrote:

Why do you care so much about the utility of a guy that you don't know and that you will never encounter again?

I care about having my integrity comprised if I take advantage of ignorance and it's irrelevant to me that I wont ever see him or her again. What i find odd is you think it's relevant that you wont see them again. Integrity is generally defined as doing whats right when no one is looking. I think you've tried to argue that its okay because you will never encounter this person again so its okay to take advantage of them.

Last edited by Billydanomad on May 20, 2015, 12:55:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info