Trap Templar with detonate dead - the epitome of overpower?

So I've been playing a double totem ice spear witch lately and the standard build for this is with 2 curses and 3 traps (bear trap, fire trap, conversion trap).

My bear trap isn't even close to fully leveled (dat dex requirement) and it's only linked with one other gem (increased critical damage). Keep in mind that I'm not using many crit chance modifiers because ice spear's second form already has a ton of crit chance, but I did focus a bit on crit damage. My fire trap is in a lone socket; it has zero links to it. I never really paid attention but after farming Gneiss for a bit I was like 'hey why not farm Oak? I can just run around my totems all day and it'd be np'. So I went to Oak and laid down 3 bear traps at his feet and talked to him. He got oneshot by my traps. So I thought this was a bug and checked my trap damage:

And noticed that it was absolutely retarded. I have no +%fire/elemental damage mods either (and once again, fire trap isn't linked to anything at all).

So why not make a build around trapping + detonate dead? I was the top 1 for 3 weeks in d2 ladder with a 3 level lead when the ladder reset quite a few years ago with a trap assassin. Death Sentry was horribly overpowered but surprisingly nobody really seemed to use it. So why not try to mimic this build in PoE?

Basically you do this:

skill
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fOf3zwF73yDOGBtFE0Es4FvnjxN2Ix2toZ9U3rm52rUfIKbtQRFRzLRuJOnCNrdFVDYJDbFHwKcLYdlr7dJGyycVa6X9JeVUlM9X0Srj6YtH20ZO-Hi96crwfOio3_GflknqQ_E3Mc7fFqmuMoRlp2j_Ks22PFs7FWXhSqNj0aBSbI4Zk_BxYhC8h0OSOOE3GIzeB7wcNVwUl3ynWPljqSxjDblGbQ4-_Xz6ha_h9vrY5matvcRL8BR

which gives you:

250% crit
100% crit damage
60% crit for spells
40% crit damage for spells

106% max energy shield
64.4% energy shield (int bonus)
40% increased radius of aoe skills
20% increased damage from aoe
56% increased ele damage
110% increased fire damage

114 dexterity (with a good onyx amulet you can max out bear trap, detonate dead is part int part dex so requires practically no stats)
82 strength

You then artificially get yourself to 'low life' by running auras linked with blood magic and reduced mana, i.e. like so:

And then you equip 2 redbeaks, which amplify everything:

I've already been playing around with this idea on my double totem witch just to get a feel for it and to see if it's practical (plus I have been playing with traps already due to the original build) and the results are absolutely phenomenal. I can't use a detonate dead totem though but I know that detonate dead gets amplified by the %fire damage (which I have 0 from) and then amplified by the double redbeaks.

This build would be especially devastating in party play if you have someone who has decoy totem or can just tank mobs in general. You could place a detonate dead totem and then just trap away and everything on the screen is immediately dead. There are so many nice support gems for fire damage oriented skills, too.
Beyond league.
I'm going to remember that bear trap on the bandits trick :p

<trap/summoner.
The only problem I see is that you're going with a redbeak build (low life) and don't have any chaos resist. I imagine you'd get killed pretty fast by ranged chaos mobs endgame - right through all your ES.

Interesting build though, props.
Gear dependant so they wont nerf it also as noted before chaos damage late game will most likely eat you away.
just asking..why the need for the sword?
IGN: Deorama
Because of the terrible extradamage at low life which you get by running auras with blood magic.
I wanted to try playing dual totem with traps on Templar for fun. I'm not sure how to build one.
I'm planning to use fire totem and those three trap while equipping energy shield and 1hnd mace/wand. I will use infernal blow just to finish it off (boom explosion!).

anddd I sold you that sword lol
BoomExplosion - Templar (BOOM!)
_Sistar_ - Duelist (currently rerolling him)
FakeShooter - Ranger (meh LA, iceshot rangerrr)
FakeMaster - Shadow (might start when I get everything)
Last edited by Laststranger on Feb 11, 2013, 8:12:47 AM
I am also thinking of making a trap templar but my idea is EB with Clarity, Purity, Dicipline and Hatred. Then Searing Touch unique staff for fire traps. Bear traps would get Added Fire damage, increased critical and critical damage and hatred aura to boost damage. Fire traps increased critical, iron will and culling strike. I would use Arc totem with chain and those 2 shock passives to shock enemies and Equilibrium so shock gives -50% resistance to fire and cold (so both fire traps and bear traps do more damage). With Elemental Weakness all 3 elements could do decent damage. I can also have Temporal Chains for more safety and just better fire traps :)

Last edited by Torin on Feb 11, 2013, 12:31:01 PM
The 6k dps on fire trap is with that passive skill tree?

Because if not, i think you could do fine without the redbeaks...
"
MuCephei wrote:
The 6k dps on fire trap is with that passive skill tree?

Because if not, i think you could do fine without the redbeaks...

I get 30k damage with a 0% quality bear trap, without any +physical damage% and with only 1 link.
Beyond league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info