Community Survey: Divination Card

I would love to see anything BUT divination cards giving stacks of orbs.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Ok, I thought of this one today, tell me what you think:

The Equalizer/Gamblers resort/whatever cool name that can capture the essence of this

3 cards stack

Either Common, Super common, or uncommon: the idea is either for every char to have at least one shot at it once they reach the act 4 trader in each difficulty OR merciless difficulty only, it should drop everywhere

Randomly gives any item in the game in any state, with equal chance for all. (true RNG, say if there were only 100 items in the game, a 100 sided die would be rolled here)

What does this mean?
This not only means that you are as likely to get a scroll fragment as you are a mirror, it also means that it can give you any item in the game, including everything, from legacy league uniques, map-only uniques (Atziri drops included), Other temp league uniques (so say if you are playing a softcore temp league, you can get a hardcore templeague exclusive item through this card), rhoa feather, fishing rod, jewels, gems, divination cards, etc (EVERYTHING, this would mean this card would have to be updated each time a new item is added to the game).

Any state
This is the part that makes this card possible, Ill give an example:

Just a white driftwood wand has loads of stats, lets take for example quality.
0-20 quality means 21 states

for each of those states add another state due to whether or not its corrupted making it
42 states

for each of those states there's the number of sockets, adding 3 possible states for each of those
making it 126 states

Then there's the number of links, making it 3 more possible states in this case would be 4 (unlinked, fully linked, top two slots linked, bottom 2 slots linked)
making it 504 states just for a single base white item

If the item was uncommon, rare or unique, another state would be added, the identified or not (corrupted means identified obviously, unless the item can exist corrupted unided as I believe maps can)
Additionally there's CAN be another layer of states (not sure if necessary though, by item level 1-100

With this number of layers the divination card would be balanced, and we'd have a gamblers favourite.

Flavour text would be something related, say:

I'm a equal opportunity lunatic
Do you feel lucky, punk? (these 2 might not be possible I know, but wanted to write them anyway :P)
I'm Feeling lucky
I like my odds
or whatever other thing you could come up with ofc, its your choice

EDIT: oh, and you are either not supposed to know what it gives you until you do the trade, or there should be no way to refresh what a vendor gives you for one stack, as to avoid abuse.
2ND EDIT: I realize I forgot the implicit on the driftwood wand, that would be another layer of states
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 27, 2015, 1:36:37 PM
How about a stack of cards that you trade with an item (can be a specific rarity or not) to add a specific affix to the item?

Ex. a stack of card that adds tier 1 physical dmg to any weapon that you trade with it.

It would eliminate some of the RNG of crafting if you farm long enough. Of course there should be conditions/restrictions but this is a general idea.
why dont you make some rare item like diamond ring with tier 2 hp + tier 1 light res + 20-30 dex or something like that
Stack of Chaos orbs (10) would, to me, sound most reasonable. Reasons:

- Chaos orbs are really useful, so this card could be worth a lot early on, and in general sought after
- This is a single stack, so it looks clean
- It could be somewhat rare, because obtaining 10 chaos orbs is somewhat hard early on, but not too rare, so it could be realistic to get

Making some crazy 300 fusing, 5 eternal etc. kind of card sets will have to make them EXTREMELY rare thus chances of ever completing one are so low, that most people won't even bother collecting those. There might be place for such card sets, sure, but if you want to make some card set that will make some serious impact on the game, I'd go with some less crazy set. :P

Also, I hate to say that, but urghhhhh, making crazy rare card sets will hurt solo play even more - collecting such sets will be only possible with trading. Given the probable amount of cards needed for such sets, it will be more of a pain trading those, than it is worth, for most people... but in turn, this might be a good thing... ARGH. I dunno. :D

If I were to submit my card set, I'd go with something more "common" and realistic to get, rather than crazy rare and expensive. Chaos stack, level 78 map, set of rare gems (like spell echo, multistrike etc.). Even recipes like 1000 Armorer Scraps would make sense, since it is not super powerful, yet some people would really like those. Stack of Blessed Orbs?

Or maybe a set of cards, that will give you (semi) random unique of given type (say, unique armor, weapon, or even more specific unique sword). I'm not a great fan of such RNG ideas behind Div Cards, but that is somewhat defined. :V

"
Disrupted wrote:
Spoiler

The Equalizer/Gamblers resort/whatever cool name that can capture the essence of this

3 cards stack

Either Common, Super common, or uncommon: the idea is either for every char to have at least one shot at it once they reach the act 4 trader in each difficulty OR merciless difficulty only, it should drop everywhere

Randomly gives any item in the game in any state, with equal chance for all. (true RNG, say if there were only 100 items in the game, a 100 sided die would be rolled here)

What does this mean?
This not only means that you are as likely to get a scroll fragment as you are a mirror, it also means that it can give you any item in the game, including everything, from legacy league uniques, map-only uniques (Atziri drops included), Other temp league uniques (so say if you are playing a softcore temp league, you can get a hardcore templeague exclusive item through this card), rhoa feather, fishing rod, jewels, gems, divination cards, etc (EVERYTHING, this would mean this card would have to be updated each time a new item is added to the game).

Any state

for each of those states add another state due to whether or not its corrupted making it
42 states

for each of those states there's the number of sockets, adding 3 possible states for each of those
making it 126 states

Then there's the number of links, making it 3 more possible states in this case would be 4 (unlinked, fully linked, top two slots linked, bottom 2 slots linked)

If the item was uncommon, rare or unique, another state would be added, the identified or not (corrupted means identified obviously, unless the item can exist corrupted unided as I believe maps can)
Additionally there's CAN be another layer of states (not sure if necessary though, by item level 1-100

With this number of layers the divination card would be balanced, and we'd have a gamblers favourite.

Do you feel lucky, punk? (these 2 might not be possible I know, but wanted to write them anyway :P)
I'm Feeling lucky
I like my odds

EDIT: oh, and you are either not supposed to know what it gives you until you do the trade, or there should be no way to refresh what a vendor gives you for one stack, as to avoid abuse.
2ND EDIT: I realize I forgot the implicit on the driftwood wand, that would be another layer of states

I'd say this is (no offense) pretty bad design.
Not only it is not really useful, but it would probably be REALLY hard to implement. We'd end up with a thing that is not useful and impactful on the game, but would take much work to implement.

I also believe that Divination Cards goal is to get rid of some of the RNG elements of the game, so you can farm for something more specific. This design is everything (literally, lol), but this goal. To everyone reading this, please try to keep in mind what is the goal behind Divination Cards. :V

"
Archelon224 wrote:
Spoiler
My suggestion is still currency related. What if the reward was one of EACH and EVERY currency item? I mean, a lot of people are telling HighGate Supporters to do something functional to make the game easier, to fill holes and facilitate crafting, but that's up to the supporter! If you want to fill those holes, buy the pack! And who's to say GGG will let all those QoL cards through? I say have fun and make an interesting card, not one that will be yet another crutch.

So! One of each meaning you get:
1 Wisdom
1 Portal
1 Whetstone
1 Armorer's
1 Chisel
1 Glass Bauble
1 GCP
1 Transmutation
1 Augmentation
1 Alteration
1 Chrome
1 Chance
1 Scour
1 Vaal
1 Jeweler's
1 Fusing
1 Alchemy
1 Chaos
1 Regret
1 Regal
1 Blessed
1 Divine
1 Exalt
1 Eternal
1 Mirror

Sorry if I forgot any.

Maybe leave out the mirror for rarity sake? or maybe just the quality items, or some other kind of grouping. I don't know, but I hope this helps in making your final decision.

"I spent 1k$... should I make something useful and impactful, meaning that it will be used and discussed by people? No! Lets make something completely useless and ignored by everyone! Why? Because!"
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on May 28, 2015, 7:46:29 AM
Disrupted...that's literally a Divination card for a random drop.
FYI: It's not a fantasy story, it's a cosmic horror story.
"
Loreweaver wrote:
Disrupted...that's literally a Divination card for a random drop.

His point was that each item would become equally likely rather than the skewed distribution of the random drops. Not that I think his idea has any merit whatsoever.
Whatever happens, the drop rate of the divination card should be higher than the droprate of the reward.

E.G. If there was a 10 divination card stack to turn in for an exalted orb, each card should have a 10x higher liklihood of dropping than a single exalted orb.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Perq wrote:

"
Disrupted wrote:
Spoiler

3 cards stack

What does this mean?

Any state

42 states

making it 126 states

I'm Feeling lucky
I like my odds

I'd say this is (no offense) pretty bad design.
Not only it is not really useful, but it would probably be REALLY hard to implement. We'd end up with a thing that is not useful and impactful on the game, but would take much work to implement.

I also believe that Divination Cards goal is to get rid of some of the RNG elements of the game, so you can farm for something more specific. This design is everything (literally, lol), but this goal. To everyone reading this, please try to keep in mind what is the goal behind Divination Cards. :V

I totally understand what you mean, this is a really weird card, and goes against the first rule of submission for cards, but its done so on purpose, hence the balancing done on it with item states.

It was also an odd one out meant to please the gambling faction. I know it would more likely than not be rejected, but If I had the money I would propose it. Its supposed to be the special one among divination cards (besides the eventual joker card which I hope someone does).
If it was accepted I wouldnt mind waiting a lot for it to be implemented, hell, Id even ask for them to work on my last, as to not delay others.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 28, 2015, 10:54:56 AM
I was thinking drop only gems, pre rolled flasks, maybe gcps but I would never ask someone to put their $1000 investment in to something so meh. On the other hand I can't think of something worth that investment that wouldn't come coupled with an abysmal drop rate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info