Character Naming - Big Issue?

This is nerve wrecking. Three hours ... nothing. Google´d it, and other people seem to have this problem, too.

This pretty much sums it up; what I had to go through (from an article at technologytell.com):

"
Obviously, an appropriately sinister name would be required.

Deathwalker? Taken. Souleater? Taken. Soulharvester? Taken. Requiem? Taken. DarkRequiem! Taken. Ok, let’s try something cool sounding in Latin, because everyone knows everything sounds better in Latin: Sicarius? Taken. Animametentis? Taken. Alright, let’s get science-y! Entropy! Of course it’s taken. Entropicdecay? You guessed it, taken. This went on for some time. I must have tried about 150 different combinations of random, evil sounding words in both Latin and English. I even went so far as to start trying made-up languages, like Klingon and Minbari. Seriously, who already claimed the freaking Minbari names?

Almost 2 full hours after hitting the character creation screen, I still hadn’t come up with anything. I gave up and started just plopping random crap in there I didn’t even like. I seriously didn’t care anymore at this point, any collection of letters that formed a nominally appropriate sounding name would do. “A character with this name already exists”, again, and again, and again. Now I remember why I used to squat on names in World of Warcraft. Think of a cool phrase at work? First thing after getting home, make a new toon I have no intention of playing just to lay dibs on the name before some 10 year old in Monaco comes up with the same thing.

I was about to just give up and name my evil, psychopathic, exiled assassin MrFloppyEars, but I figured that’s already taken too. When it happened, it was a shock. The screen turned black, and I thought something broke. There was no way Path of Exile finally accepted something., that dream died ages ago. Then I found myself on the beach. Finally! Something worked! Two hours after deciding to make a new character, I was able to log into the world and start playing. The sense of relief was so visceral, I didn’t even want to play any more. I had achieved a feat far greater than actually completing the game.

Give me your thoughts.
Last edited by ӃiȠɠ on May 12, 2015, 10:25:59 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
While the system in general probably won't change anytime soon, GGG are apparently working on a (reasonably fair) way to free up names from unused accounts.
Also, if a name you want is e.g. a level 1 character on Standard league, you can email Support and ask them to contact the account holder for you to see if they would delete that char. Success rate is probably rather low, though since a lot of people use throw-away accounts for signing up and they are of course free to say no. And I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting "Thor", "Conan" and other popular names.
In any case, maybe this helps: List of Naming Resources.

Good luck :-)
I wonder why you cant make all your own characters the same name if you wish!
In D3 you can name your Characters all the same name if you so choose!
This would help out alot because then we only have to find one name that isnt taken and then simply allow us to also put some numbers in our name as well!

Doing both these things would basically fix the name issue! Or at the very least help it out alot!
Hell just allowing us to put numbers in our name would probably free up ALOT of name options right there!

There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 10, 2015, 5:49:31 PM
I love the System of another big company. They make it possible, that everyone could use the very same name if they wanted, as the names go Accountname@Charname
This way, everyplayer can have a char named "Boss" and everyone is happy.
Would love to see that system on every game...
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/akumanotsubasa
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/AkumaNoTsubasa
Please use http://pobb.in for your guides instead of pastebin!
Ahhhh I remember my first attempt at naming a character. Went through all the names I had used on D3...all taken. Then went through all the names from characters in games I had played and liked in the past....all taken.

Finally went with WHYCANTIUSETHENAMEIWANT all caps just as i was shouting it at the monitor....NOT taken somehow LOL, which I still really cant believe.

Then like 2 weeks later was playing it at a friends house and we got his girlfriend to try it out. After exhausting all the names she could think of she tried WHYCANTIUSETHENAMEIWANT.....was taken...by me LMFAO.

This is why you need to make truly unique names.

Some that I use include:

Natharias

Icastdarknessatthemagicmissile

Death_Inoculation - thanks to Chaos Inoculation

Uruk_Hulk (Uruk-hai and Hulk)

Critical_Proliferation (ele prolif but crits)

Crit_and_Awe (shock and awe)

Hoist_the_Auras (hoist the colors, pirates of the caribbean but with auras, back when running all auras was remotely possible)

Remember_the_Dead and Fight_for_the_Living (references from Hellgate: London, for any fans out there. These are "common" names like "Thor", but uncommon since the game they were common in was uncommon)

And a few others I'd rather not let out.
During CB you could still find some of the more obscure names from games or books unoccupied, that's when I reserved a few names like 'Ignissa' or 'Vordai'. Nowadays you have to make them up, I'm mostly using some character property and a root of some less used language. I was amazed that 'Fulminatius' for my lightning templar in Torment was still free and 'Algardo' that I picked yesterday for my blocker duelist in 1m was also a surprise.

Many players put a lot of stock into picking character names, I understand the database would need a significant rework to implement some other naming system but I don't think losing points as soon as the character screen is a good thing for the overall impression.

"
Natharias wrote:
Remember_the_Dead and Fight_for_the_Living (references from Hellgate: London, for any fans out there.

Yeah, one right here.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on May 10, 2015, 7:00:56 PM
"
Natharias wrote:
(...)

While I could imagine using Natharias for a long-term character, I definitely wouldn't be using the other names outside temporary characters. Sure, it's easy to find something with these kinds of names, but when you're looking for something that you could imagine be a real name, it's suddenly much harder.

I think that things like flower names (outside of the ones that are actually being used as real first names) tend to be more easily open.
I read all replies. Thank you for your concern. I very much hope GGG will fix this. Does anyone know if they have mentioned anything about this dilemma before?

A naming system were you can use w/e name you´d like is what this game need, as some of you mentioned. Either by being bound to an account or with an character ID.

This may seem strange to some, but I can´t play a character which name I'm not satisfied with. For this reason all "ridiculous names" I can´t use. They are way to distasteful...
"
ӃiȠɠ wrote:
I read all replies. Thank you for your concern. I very much hope GGG will fix this. Does anyone know if they have mentioned anything about this dilemma before?

Yes, there was a long thread active for a long time about naming troubles and freeing up the unused names. It had a few developer posts in it and the sentiment is mostly that the current system is fine, but who knows, it might change some day. That said, I don't know the exact structure of their database so it might be trickier to do than we think so it may never happen, devs aren't exactly forthcoming with info like that, trade secrets I suppose.

Like I said, I can sympathize with you, naming is a big part of character creation for me and it takes an increasingly long time.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info