Same skill gems no longer combine effect if shared on multiple items.

I was very surprised upon noticing this somewhat major change from 0.92 ; I thought that the astronomical mana increase resulting from linking multiple support gems was sufficient to maintain game balance, so why this modification?

Can any official spokesperson comment on this?

Was pretty clearly marked and talked about in the patch notes
"
KrapnoV wrote:
I thought that the astronomical mana increase resulting from linking multiple support gems was sufficient to maintain game balance, so why this modification?

To have e.g. fireball ward and normal fireball at the same time from 2 different skillgems.
ingame: FeelLuckyPunk standard
"
Ugm wrote:
"
KrapnoV wrote:
I thought that the astronomical mana increase resulting from linking multiple support gems was sufficient to maintain game balance, so why this modification?

To have e.g. fireball ward and normal fireball at the same time from 2 different skillgems.
Yeah, this lets you have multiple versions of the same skill supported differently.
At the moment, this means you can do things like make a fireball witch, using no other active skills - you can have one with concentrate area of effect for single target, one with increased area and multiple projectiles as AoE, one with faster casts for spamming, an uber onw for bosses, etc.

This will be even more important in future when we implement some planned support gems which change how skills operate. If there's a 'trap' support gem that changes the skill into placing a trap that casts that skill at whichever enemy triggers the trap, then under the old system having a fireball trap would mean you couldn't also have a fireball you could just cast.
But Mark, why would a Witch want a single target fireball when she can just shotgun a single target with all 5 fireballs from the Mult-Projectile variant?

:3
"
konfeta wrote:
But Mark, why would a Witch want a single target fireball when she can just shotgun a single target with all 5 fireballs from the Mult-Projectile variant?

:3
Elemental damage reflect? Mana cost?
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Nov 22, 2011, 6:55:20 PM
Always skip. Irrelevant.
Then spam away!
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
The Curse of PoE!
how hard would it be to put a check box somewere, maybe a drop down list of all your socketed skills and you say yes or no to linking like skills.

this way you can down mana potions nonstop to support your fire ball linked from every item you have on or have many versions of the skill as you see fit.

you could even have more then one linked set of the same skill, fire ball 1 2 and 3. this would be more complicated then a simple yes or no to combine them but it would add a lot of depth to potential builds. looking at the skill tree and gem system, ggg doesnt shy away from complicated things.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info