The Guide to Loot Filters

Aight, just tested lab items, and they seem safe (class can be stated at position 2+ in a multiclass conditional line without unexpected behaviour).

On a side note, i discovered an extension to the bug that affects quest items.
Again, probably no big deal for most filter writers, so, for the curious only :
If you specify a BaseType line alone (with no Class line along with it), the quest item will use default text & sound.
But this time, the position of the item in the BaseType line doesn't change anything, it always fails.
For example :

Show
Class Quest
BaseType "Tower Key"
blablabla
> result : blablabla settings used

but

Show
BaseType "Tower Key"
blablabla
> result : default settings used + end of parsing for that item
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
What's the fastest way to get the list of in game color defaults?
I use to have that list of colors from the content.ggpk but now I can't find it in there anymore... :(
www.lunaz.com/poe-fashion
www.lunaz.com/poe-filter
www.lunaz.com/poe-hidouts
Work In Progress
"
lunaz wrote:
What's the fastest way to get the list of in game color defaults?
I use to have that list of colors from the content.ggpk but now I can't find it in there anymore... :(

You can find the list of colors at this wiki entry (ty dav) -
Item Filter Guide
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Last edited by Hellcat5 on Jul 2, 2016, 10:23:04 PM
As a developer, I've had quite a blast reading this.

---------------------

Oh and also about the lab items (man I probably should check this thread more often, but I don't usually lurk in the forum much):

It appears that the lab items had a rarity (likely normal, which is also why they were corruptable). They also had a new item type (as people figured out). This lead to your typical....
"
Hide
Rarity Normal

...command to malfunction. Using more specific normal/rare hide all conditions (that includes all equip-able types) will cause filters to become more robust and should be a best practice for filter designing I think.

Also I'm trying to figure out what exactly caused the recent visual bugs in several filters (text displacement/disappearing). I can't reproduce the results whatever I do, but it seems like it only happens to items with either modified size or background transparency. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I wonder if it's caused by a memory allocation bug introduced in 2.3
Please don't PM me ingame with filter/guide questions, post them on the forum, after reading the FAQ.
Last edited by NeverSink on Jul 4, 2016, 9:12:17 PM
What's the prophecy item color? I don't see it listed on the wiki (just the bloodline +stash tab)
or is it the same?
www.lunaz.com/poe-fashion
www.lunaz.com/poe-filter
www.lunaz.com/poe-hidouts
Work In Progress
For the next person who has the Black Text bug, please screenshot, and answer the following:

* What is the itemlevel of the item
* What class of item
* What Rarity
* What basetype
* Sockets/links
* What filter (and which version) are you using, and did you modify it in any way (that includes opening it just to look, and maybe hitting save?)
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on Jul 5, 2016, 5:25:40 AM
"
NeverSink wrote:
As a developer, I've had quite a blast reading this.

I'm glad you had a laugh. ;)

"
NeverSink wrote:
---------------------

Oh and also about the lab items (man I probably should check this thread more often, but I don't usually lurk in the forum much):

It appears that the lab items had a rarity (likely normal, which is also why they were corruptable). They also had a new item type (as people figured out). This lead to your typical....
"
Hide
Rarity Normal

...command to malfunction. Using more specific normal/rare hide all conditions (that includes all equip-able types) will cause filters to become more robust and should be a best practice for filter designing I think.

Do you mean more restrictive scope or more blanketing scope? from what you said, "[...] more specific [...] hide all conditions [...]" it's not clear because hide all conditions are, by definition, more blanketing and not restrictive.

I would say best practices would encompass using the inherited implicit definitions more so than potentially troublesome explicit faulty filter code definitions, and being very careful about precedence. I would also say it's best to avoid unnecessary overly complex filter writing. (oh how I do love to write overly complex comments in posts though lol) I ran into a lot of overly complex coding when I did platform conversions. I ended up re-writing the core code into simplified forms while translating code into different languages so that some companies could run the apps from either linux or microsoft. Example: converting a game that started in Unity3D into UDK, or converting an apache based php web app to .net C# to run on iis, etc. Why did I say all this? simple. so you don't discredit what I'm trying to give you to help improve the situation. We should come up with an actual "best practices" for filter creation. But, that doesn't limit people from doing whatever they want because this is all free work, creative license applies.

"
NeverSink wrote:
Also I'm trying to figure out what exactly caused the recent visual bugs in several filters (text displacement/disappearing). I can't reproduce the results whatever I do, but it seems like it only happens to items with either modified size or background transparency. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I wonder if it's caused by a memory allocation bug introduced in 2.3

I'm curious what other filters have had this issue? I've not had these issues (no one reported issues on my filter threads) Could it be because of the non standard font sizes used? I offered to help test that theory. I went into more detail about this on your filter page since I've been reading people's troubles there.

I can say as GGG upgrades the framework for path of exile to more current technology, older systems and graphics cards might have issues since the drivers might not be updated enough to handle the newer technology advancements.

In RE: memory allocation bug, I've not seen evidence of text rendering trouble on my system due to mem allocation bug. Do you have a note somewhere about this? Has GGG officially stated they have mem alloc trouble? (please give link if available) I've not found myself in need to focus on monitoring the game client process that closely for such.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Last edited by Hellcat5 on Jul 7, 2016, 1:12:51 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Socket Groups include all items that at least partially match, or only exact matches? For example, if I put "RGB", will that encompass all items with at least 1 red, 1 green and 1 blue slot? Or will that only include items which specifically have 3 slots, 1 of each colour?

Thanks!
"
Can anyone tell me if the Socket Groups include all items that at least partially match, or only exact matches? For example, if I put "RGB", will that encompass all items with at least 1 red, 1 green and 1 blue slot? Or will that only include items which specifically have 3 slots, 1 of each colour?

Thanks!

Hey there.
I will use your own words as answer : at least
For example, SocketGroup RGB would concern all items having at least 1 red, 1 green, and 1 blue linked together, directly or indirectly (hear "on the same linked sockets group").
So, an item with [B-G-G-R R-B] would match.
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
Last edited by xhul on Jul 10, 2016, 10:40:26 PM
"
xhul wrote:
Hey there.
I will use your own words as answer : at least
For example, SocketGroup RGB would concern all items having at least 1 red, 1 green, and 1 blue linked together, directly or indirectly (hear "on the same linked sockets group").
So, an item with [B-G-G-R R-B] would match.

Sweet, thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info