Cyclone Mechanics Confusion

So cyclone is my favorite skill in the game by far. I've used it on many different characters, in different ways.

Everyone tells me something different about exactly how it works. Attack speed, what does it do to cyclone exactly?

I was told that I could drop ALL my attack speed, and instead just hold the cursor close, and perform tighter spins and this would cause the first initial hit of cyclone to keep repeating rapidly.

Then I look at other cyclone builds and see an emphasis on attack speed. As in , they'll use "faster attacks" in their links.

I am just really confused and about to respec my level 85 staff cycloner and would really appreciate someone who can explain this precisely. Thanks for reading.
According to this thread (which you may already have read), it is just as you say: holding the mouse pointer close can let you ignore attack speed, while pointing it far away will make your attacks depend on attack speed. Which is better though? I assume it depends on how much mana/life it costs you to use the skill, and how exactly you're getting that mana/life (leech/regen). Holding the mouse pointer close would activate the skill many, many times, and cost much more mana/life while letting you ignore attack speed. Pointing and clicking further away would let you cyclone through more targets with just a single use of the skill, but doing less damage because it would then depend on attack speed.

If you can afford the mana/life cost it seems better to hold the mouse pointer close. More damage, and the flexibility to break out of Cyclone whenever you feel like it. On the other hand, faster attack speed should give you the flexibility to use other attack skills more effectively, for situations when Cyclone might not be the best option.

Disclaimer: I have only dabbled a bit in Cyclone.
Ah thanks a lot for replying. Such weird (but cool) mechanics on cyclone. I'm just going to go for the flat damage then! Much appreciated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info