My thoughts on PoE- Diablo collision and few other ramblings...

Let me first bring up a very important question.

What do guys from GGG do to get the game known to large masses?

Aggressive marketing is ALMOST as important as the quality of the product.
If some discontented user on Diablo forums hasn't disclosed his displeasure with the game, and mentioned PoE, I probably wouldn't be here.
And I don't accept arguments such as 'Those who are interested in this kind of game, will know about it'.
Because it simply isn't true.

GGG should not disregard this aspect of the game.

And concerning stealing of the customers for the same release dates - of course there are those who are die-hard Diablo fans, and will play only Diablo, same goes for PoE and Torchlight..

There are those who will play Diablo and PoE, PoE and Torclight and so on...

Ultimately, there are few another types of players, who are the object of this post - those who don't have precise preference for any of the game - someone who let's say, comes home tired from work or school, and wants to relax playing some arpg, and getting the satisfying emotion of succesful looting..
These people will not invest time and money(because they don't have it at one given moment perhaps?) buying all the games - they will opt for ONE of them and invest time in it.

IF the games came out consecutively with 3 months period of waiting, that customer would play Diablo, and than, after saturation, refresh the experience playing PoE.

LEt's face it - Diablo, Torchlight and PoE are actually one game - you get rewarding feeling of accomplishment which stems from getting exceptional loot, you kill monsters, you point and click, get levels, then kill some more monsters...
It's all about that feeling of acomplishment - when you kill the boss you've been trying for hours, when you get another level, when you get that sword. And different spells, different classes... all that is the way of utilizing this emotion and making it dynamic, so the experience doesn't get to stale, and passive (negative) until the next reward.

Ironically, this negativity in the form of gameplay passivity and staleness(playing hours at a time on high level in order to reach next one) is what makes that rewarding feeling so addictive, and worthwhile.
Because, how can we appreciate the good emotion, if the distinctly different feeling hasn't preceded it? Our brains are constructed in such way that we take notice of differences (in this case of emotions, but also visually, tactically etc.) and this is the case here.

After killing monsters for 5 hours in Diablo, I have had enough. I want to drive cars in Colin McRae, play CoD or get in the real world and play some football.
In my opinion, these games should have at least 3 months space between themselves so one can experience one game, and than continue along the same path but with the different spells, graphics and storyline.

And now we come to the stories. Neither game has the ace here, because at this point of humanity, let's face it, we've seen it all.
For the thousandth time, we are the heroes (way of making the gamer feel strong and accomplished), we are always killing ultimate evil (which is consequntally so dumb as to fall pray to the clearly overpowered hero) threatining to destroy the world, evil is always coming in waves appropriate to the player level...

Let's face it - only Diablo had the real opportunity to embark on the verge of success with story, but if you followed Diablo news extensively, as I did, you started noticing that the logic behind it is lame (prime evils survive for the thousandth time, although clearly defeated for thousandth time etc etc.
Even so, Diablo will hold the most in this category - millions of players (me included) cannot wait to see him personally, and the twist behind the story.

As a side note, wouldn't it be cool to see the ending of the game in which the hero (us) meets tragic, almost Shakespearean demise, falls prey to its influence, and then, next expansion, fights on the side of that 'ultimate evil', against a hero?
PoE could pull this off, as it is online oriented, and one player can play evil, and other good campaign.

Just an idea. Just remembered it, and haven't put much thought in it, so don't flame me.

Please.

Pretty please.

Now, all this being said, I predict a bright future for all of these games, and look forward to playing both Diablo and PoE.

And also, if you managed to get to this part of the post, thank you for your time and attention.
Last edited by Tank_The_Shredder_Evans on Nov 20, 2011, 10:10:06 PM
"

And also, if you managed to get to this part of the post, thank you for your time and attention.

I have succeeded!
Nederlands? Voeg me toe: Tiems
My congragulations! ;)
"
What do guys from GGG do to get the game known to large masses?

Aggressive marketing is ALMOST as important as the quality of the product.
If some discontented user on Diablo forums hasn't disclosed his displeasure with the game, and mentioned PoE, I probably wouldn't be here.
And I don't accept arguments such as 'Those who are interested in this kind of game, will know about it'.
Because it simply isn't true.

GGG should not disregard this aspect of the game.

We're only going to spend money on advertising once the game is available for people to play publicly (otherwise it's just throwing away budget on signups that don't necessarily turn into playing members).

We do appreciate all the word-of-mouth advertising in the meantime!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
another reason i try to stay out of the forums.....
"we're out of beta! we're releasing on time!"

weird juxtaposition - was just reading this thread when "still alive" started playing on the radio

for those that have been hunched up in a cave for a few years, it's the end song of portal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAyqlX9toWk

oh and to add to the actual thread, i hope you throw some ad money at Penny Arcade; i learned about PoE when they mentioned it on their site.
I don't think these games are the same. They offer different experiences in the end, being PoE one of the most remarkable ones (based on the free-ness you get while creating your character, if they decide to keep it this way). And that story thing would be amazing. :D

_
While I do agree that they are the same game I believe that people will turn to a game they like depending on the gameplay style. Although the games are very similar many little things differentiate these games from each other. Then again, I can see how people can get bored after a while especially with this type of game.
"
CheeseBurger wrote:
I don't think these games are the same. They offer different experiences in the end, being PoE one of the most remarkable ones (based on the free-ness you get while creating your character, if they decide to keep it this way). And that story thing would be amazing. :D

Heh - I suppose you have tons of options for hte way your character is built, although I don't really like the way they set up the skills trees, I think they are not very streamlined, dmg skills spread out all over the witches nodes , hard to get to them, I understand it's so you don't have an overpowered character I guess but it doesn't really add to the options scenario, I want to do otns of damage - hence invest in my passive skills that do + elemental and + cold lets say. Ok, most of my points will now be spent in intelligence navigating the confusing passive skill tree to attempt to get my desired skills. I don't know, I think with their whole " lets beat Diablos amount of possible character combination " mantra was taken too far.
Also I wanted to edit - You overlook ALOT of skills in the passive trees, theres so many its so overwhelming and it's hard to get a snapshot of them all.

Anyways , I think it is much to early to tell which one of these games will be the most " remarkable" seeing as your only playing up until Act2 of Path of Exile, and about 30% of Act1 for Diablo3, much to early to tell for either game. I'm sure both will be great, I just really hope PoE redesigns the passives somehow, I really dislike how they are right now.
....._______
..../...........\
...|.............|_____...._........…
...|......o................V..VVVVV..\
...|.............________________/
....\_______/

Last edited by FailTree on Nov 21, 2011, 2:39:31 AM
For me atleast i se them as.

Diablo 3 i will play for Lore & Story telling.

PoE i will play because of the huge customization options on my spec/class etc.

TL 2 i am unsure if i will play it , i liked TL 1 for what it was to "me" . A nice little Dungeon story.

As for now , i think it will mostly be the players that spread the word of the game until release time and GGG starts the big work.

Yours

Democatai
http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info