Divination Cards and Path to Exile

Think a moment about the game and the systems in it which are legitimately manipulable by the player.

If you could choose one thing which you could replace in the game and exchange it for an alternate form of power, what would it be and why?

My two cents:
Spoiler
The strongest mechanism in the game that plays a part in every character's life is chance. If you could control chance, or at the very the least a chance to have another choice, that would be an incredibly powerful tool to progress your character and grow its strength. We see this in the currency system, in the crafting system and even to some degree via the skill tree.

What if you could have a chance 'to exile' a passive point -- given some restriction as to what it is -- for the chance to socket it instead? Yes, some sockets are already predetermined for you, but what if once in a blue moon you can find the chance to make a different choice and change the skill tree, more or less, as you wished? That I think would be a great use for any new mechanic like the divination cards soon to be tested in the beta.

Last edited by lavaKudzu on Apr 24, 2015, 10:26:12 PM
*Path of Exile

It's spelled out for you right above this >.<

OT: I would want to add some more damage types, such as the classic wind and earth.
Sure, the lab can be hard, but it's pretty easy if you're properly geared, and not terrible at the game.
"
Rowanbladex wrote:
*Path of Exile

OT: I would want to add some more damage types, such as the classic wind and earth.

I was referencing a rumored 'clue' from a few days ago regarding the Magic the Gathering card 'Path to Exile'. It was on reddit - but now there is a new post with trivia; I'm looking for more information now.

As for more damage types, what would you think would be their elemental effects? (IE Lightning has shock, Cold has Freezing/Chilled, Fire has Ignite)
Last edited by lavaKudzu on Apr 24, 2015, 11:05:14 PM
With Earth, I think it's pretty clear that it could be a root of somekind. As for wind/air, not sure. A knock is the most obvious option, but we already have other options for that, so not sure.

The problem is adding new damage types like this would require a huge re-balance of virtually the entire game. We might possibly see something like this by Act 5 or 6
Sure, the lab can be hard, but it's pretty easy if you're properly geared, and not terrible at the game.
"
lavaKudzu wrote:
"
Rowanbladex wrote:
*Path of Exile

I was referencing a rumored 'clue' from a few days ago regarding the Magic the Gathering card 'Path to Exile'. [SNIIIPPP]

Hold the fucking phone there sonny and stop your presses.

What you read was a rather cute pun by Qual, not some subtle design leak. See also "Hi, Twitch and Reddit!"

You are reading way too deep into what was a contextually funny joke.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Apr 24, 2015, 11:41:30 PM
"
lavaKudzu wrote:

what would you think would be their elemental effects? (IE Lightning has shock, Cold has Freezing/Chilled, Fire has Ignite)

wind -> knockback
earth -> stun ( i know everything has a chance to stun, but maybe MORE?)
psychic -> fear (ai has a chance to move randomly/attack in a random direction? with lockstep it shouldn't be too bad)
void -> blind

adding more elements to the game would be silly, but i think new gems with these modifiers would be pretty cool. since there are few nodes that effect them maybe a larger scaling, but lower base since leveling with them would be broken.
Ignorance usually lasts longer than a weekend.

But then again, a god doesn't freely share his knowledge with mortals ...
"
TikoXi wrote:
"
lavaKudzu wrote:
"
Rowanbladex wrote:
*Path of Exile

I was referencing a rumored 'clue' from a few days ago regarding the Magic the Gathering card 'Path to Exile'. [SNIIIPPP]

What you read was a rather cute pun by Qual, not some subtle design leak. See also "Hi, Twitch and Reddit!"

Yeah, he was simply stating the similarities between an established MTG card and the name of this game. Not sure why people are going off the deep end with theories.
"
TikoXi wrote:
"
lavaKudzu wrote:
"
Rowanbladex wrote:
*Path of Exile

Oh, alright!

...I didn't think it was a design leak - just some obscure insight meant for fun and possibly to enlighten us in some way ^^.

I am looking for more information about the recent trivia hosted by Chris. I'm only knowledgeable to a point about the game - enough to understand it well enough to play, but maybe I can connect some dots in the mean time >.>
"
xSunday wrote:
"
lavaKudzu wrote:

what would you think would be their elemental effects? (IE Lightning has shock, Cold has Freezing/Chilled, Fire has Ignite)

wind -> knockback
earth -> stun ( i know everything has a chance to stun, but maybe MORE?)
psychic -> fear (ai has a chance to move randomly/attack in a random direction? with lockstep it shouldn't be too bad)
void -> blind

adding more elements to the game would be silly, but i think new gems with these modifiers would be pretty cool. since there are few nodes that effect them maybe a larger scaling, but lower base since leveling with them would be broken.

Sounds interesting! Anything to make the game more intricate is probably a nice thing.

Perhaps earth could just lower enemy defenses or grant an -on chance buff to increase the player's mitigation of certain elemental sources and physical attacks.
Last edited by lavaKudzu on Apr 25, 2015, 12:15:51 AM
As of right now, we have too little information to base any assumptions off of. But it is nice to debate what it could possibly be, though, like the other thread, I hope you can summon a little boss bro to give you a helping hand
To Do List:
-Add Better Minion Supports
-Add More Permanent Minions
GoreFleshSummoner | Low Life Zombie n' Specter Summoner
Summoner Gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1633760

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info