RAN 7 PLATEAU MAPS TODAY

"
tramshed wrote:
Someone made a point earlier which was mostly ignored but I feel is important. Its important to not start trying to run a higher tier of maps until you have enough of them to even out the rng. 5 maps is on the very low end of what I would call enough.

?

If I was running 74s and dropped a 76. You are saying don't run that 76 until I have at least 5 of them, keep running the 74s.

WTF?

The drops from running a 76 map are completely independent of whether I have another 4 76s in my stash.
The first 76 map could drop 0 maps, or drop 5 78s and spawn a carto, too. Whether it was my sole 76 or one of 5+.

If it dropped 0, I'm back to the 74s where you are saying I should have chosen to stay until 5+ 76s.

There is only benefit from running your highest map asap over waiting, other than if not having the chisels/currency to roll it.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Apr 25, 2015, 6:19:58 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:
Someone made a point earlier which was mostly ignored but I feel is important. Its important to not start trying to run a higher tier of maps until you have enough of them to even out the rng. 5 maps is on the very low end of what I would call enough.

?

If I was running 74s and dropped a 76. You are saying don't run that 76 until I have at least 5 of them, keep running the 74s.

WTF?

The drops from running a 76 map are completely independent of whether I have another 4 76s in my stash.
The first 76 map could drop 0 maps, or drop 5 78s and spawn a carto, too. Whether it was my sole 76 or one of 5+.

If it dropped 0, I'm back to the 74s where you are saying I should have chosen to stay until 5+ 76s.

There is only benefit from running your highest map asap over waiting, other than if not having the chisels/currency to roll it.

The point is to accumulate a base pool of maps in order to combat a bad RNG streak.

Your point is valid, that in the long run it is indeed irrelevant. However from a players perspective i assume it's a lot more "fun" to keep playing in the map level you desire.(which most likely will be the high end?)

So if you have one 76 map, the changes are indeed 50/50 that you will drop another one or climb up/drop down in the map pool.

If you however have roughly 10 76 maps the chances of dropping back down become a lot less simply by virtue of having a pool to fall back on when bad RNG kicks you in the nuts. So instead of having an erratic mapping experience 74 -> 76 -> 77 -> 73 -> 74 -> 74 -> 75 etc you will have a more stable progression curve.

Running your highest one is a gamble of luck/fun. It can pay off, giving a rush of excitement or it can backfire. For a steady racer going the stable progression route is most likely more fulfilling then getting knocked down in the map curve with spikes of success.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
now run 100 plateaus, post data and then we can talk
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
It makes sense to run the lower maps first whilst building up a pool of higher maps. The experience penalty gets worse as you level up so running the lower ones first whilst leveling is more efficient.

From a pool of 20 lvl74's, 10 lvl75's, 5 lvl76's, 2 lvl77's, 1 lvl78, you'd net more total experience if you ran the lower ones first vs doing the highest one available when the experience penalty is not too bad.

You never mentioned XP or XP penalty or player v map level, not once. You only mentioned 'to even out the rng'.

I completely agree with the point about XP, (but that would be not running them until you were x level rather than until you had y number) but not the rng and Boem didn't change my view.

Slice,

-Anus-
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Apr 25, 2015, 8:10:34 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
It makes sense to run the lower maps first whilst building up a pool of higher maps. The experience penalty gets worse as you level up so running the lower ones first whilst leveling is more efficient.

From a pool of 20 lvl74's, 10 lvl75's, 5 lvl76's, 2 lvl77's, 1 lvl78, you'd net more total experience if you ran the lower ones first vs doing the highest one available when the experience penalty is not too bad.

You never mentioned XP or XP penalty or player v map level, not once. You only mentioned 'to even out the rng'.

I completely agree with the point about XP, but not the rng and Boem didn't change my view.

Slice,

-Anus-

Lel it's impossible to change your view man.

You don't play competitive or race and my point hinges on that, player stress accumulated due to erratic mapping progression opposed to steady progression.

<.o

I agree with you btw, in the long run it's irrelevant, but a league is 3 months, so you only have to push RNG in your favor for 3 months, after that it can dwindle down again.

Assuming your play-style, where time is irrelevant since there is no "ending", yeah RNG doesn't even work or hold weight since it all evens out "eventually".

Peace,

-Boem-
Yeah, I see what you mean.

Competitive players in a temp league would totally not want to run the highest maps asap. I mean, why would they want earlier access to higher ilvl bases and XP when they could have put it off, knowing it isn't affecting their map drops long term but omitting 'player stress accumulated due to erratic mapping progression opposed to steady progression'.

dafooqisthisshit,

-Bum-
Casually casual.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
Yeah, I see what you mean.

Competitive players in a temp league would totally not want to run the highest maps asap. I mean, why would they want earlier access to higher ilvl bases and XP when they could have put it off, knowing it isn't affecting their map drops long term but omitting 'player stress accumulated due to erratic mapping progression opposed to steady progression'.

dafooqisthisshit,

-Bum-

I lolled, clearly you have your mind set on understanding the part of the game you don't participate in or even shun on purpose.

It's clearly an advantage to go up and drop down in a map pool when your competing for best xp/hour in total.

More so because a 3 months is a rather short period of time, so it's perfectly fine to prolong your access to 78 maps for those 3 months after which dropping down becomes irrelevant.

And people chain 78's on day 2/3 of a league btw. Without gambling to move up in tiers but with steady progression of base pools.

So yeah, they already have access to the best item-levels if done correctly on day 2.

Honestly, i don't care man, you can gamble it and just run whatever you want since your playing over multiple years. People in a league however and playing for the ladder usually don't want to drop and move up in an erratic fashion. They want to climb the ladder, not shuffle up and down.

Peace,

-Boem-
More people in higher level maps = more gated loot being flung about.
More people in higher level maps = more people @ lvl 100 quicker.
More people in higher level maps = less effort, more reward <- not how POE likes it.
Well to start off, Plateaus should only be rolled blue since they are not worth the chaos to roll them.

With regards to the mapping strategy, I don't do the highest maps possible in a new league except in the 75+ region to rush 77+ ilevel or in this one-month race, Shrines. It's simply cuz you don't need to waste those levels of maps when you get like 95% of the xp running the same level of map and you get the most efficient xp by staying at the lowest possible map level that gives you 80%+ xp and only moving up when you over-level.

With regards to what Boem is saying about building a map base, it would be more efficient with regards to the xp-penalty to again stay at the lowest map level until you are sure you are able to sustain the next level. The RNG is the same as Anuhart says, but if you push all the lower maps to the lower levels and save the higher maps for when you out-level you get more bang for your buck.

Peace,

-Anal Prolapse-
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
yeah,

-poop-
Casually casual.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info