Oh Look, Valve are dickheads, part Infinity

Now selling Skyrim mods. Pretty soon they wont host free mods I bet my life. I fucking hate them.
Valve isn't selling anything, Valve is allowing mod creators to sell their mods.

http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-allows-mod-makers-to-sell-their-creations-on-steam/
Last edited by j33bus on Apr 23, 2015, 3:03:15 PM
kidding right? Valve was unhappy they werent getting money from doing something so they made it where they can make money. they give a fuck about mod creators - they care about their 30%.

edit: read how excited people are about modders making money in that article's comments. Fuck Valve, the scumbags.
Last edited by FireWalkWithMe on Apr 23, 2015, 3:29:12 PM
Valve is really a useless company who made money and fame by copying popular trends.

They copied their whole steam thingy from Garena (AFAIK garena came out first or at least that is how i remember things from when i was young)

They copied their whole counterstrike thingy from the same named mod

They copied their whole dota 2 from the popular frozen throne mod

The only thing their lazy asse has ever done is half life and team fortress(?) as far as im concerned.

And yet their Steam is full of bugs, crashing games while playing (at least dota 2 from personal experience) etc.
Valve is one of the best video game entities in the history of mankind. Thank you Valve, for steam, allowing indie developers to put their products up on the front page right next to huge publishers like EA, based on merit rather on name recognition and money.

Thank you Valve for Summer time sales where I can buy $100 worth of game for $20.

Another money grab. Meanwhile their customer support is still utter shit.

Valve is taking 75% commission for every sale, by the way.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Apr 23, 2015, 6:51:04 PM
tf2 is sorta original, but tfc was was a 'copy' from quake fortress. though to be fair they almost always hire the original folks who made it (john cook, robin walker from tfc; minh le, jesse cliffe from cs; icefrog from dota; portal dev team; day of defeat dev team)

oh i guess l4d is original
Last edited by Juicebox360 on Apr 23, 2015, 7:48:48 PM
You can look at this a coupla ways...

Cash grab calculated to steal modders from the Nexus (which is, IMHO, the superior venue), or, an inevitable step toward incentivizing modders to stick with their products. Think about all the old, dead mods that really need an update. There are some flawed gems, out there, that could use a good dusting off. This could bring those authors back and get the needed overhauls done.

Hopefully, this will also mean that modders have more reason to develop their mods, to polish and support them. Of course, this raises some questions, such as, will every new mod version require payment? Will modders be able to set the lowest price (on the choose your own price slider) at $0? Will this discourage those who cannot create mods of competitive quality from even trying, as no one will want to pay even a little for their stuff?

It's complicated, and I do think Valve is taking a bit too much of a cut (though part of that cut goes to the original dame developers). No matter how you slice it, this is how things are gonna be, and modding has changed, forever. ='[.]'=

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOHiLAC8Tik
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Apr 24, 2015, 2:34:16 AM
lol it's a business what are you guys expecting
"
Jaille wrote:
lol it's a business what are you guys expecting

It's not because it's expected (or at least not surprising at all) that it doesn't suck and that people can't complain about it. Valve are pros at taking nice things from the video games industry (indie games funding, modding, etc.) and turn them into just $$ flows, which is obviously bad.

I would surely not solemnly say like a lot of people on Steam that the modding era is dead, but it surely smells bad.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Apr 24, 2015, 5:43:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info