I really love this game, but there is one huge hurdle...

I just recently returned to the game and I find myself yet again loving the hell out of this game. It is so rare we see a game company bring a new game into well established genre and really evolve the experience and I say that having played all of the Diablo games, D3 the most recent, to death and back.

The reason I'm making this post isn't to preach to the choir though, rather, it is implore GGG to find some way to lessen the pain (not change) in the process of building a character.

I don't remember the exact moment I stopped playing, but I do remember it was when I had all of my points refunded on my characters and one of my character builds was no longer possible. I didn't stop playing because I wasn't having fun, it was simply a matter of not having the time to put into researching the right build. I have attempted to return to POE numerous times, only to feel further out of touch with what the current meta was, thus making the task of finding the right builds daunting.

Here's a bit of the thought process:
- I select one of my characters to be my "main" or first character I will be playing again. If I can get one spec'ed (I currently only have my Ranger spec'ed now) I can't have fun playing the game and catch up on the meta for the other characters
- Read Class Forum: Holy shit, there are a lot of builds. Which one will be fun/viable? Note: If I screw up or pick the wrong build, I have to either worry about farming regrets with a jacked up build or will have to find a spec for a character that wasn't my first choice
- Still in Class Forums: Unless I'm keeping up with the community (which people who aren't playing the game likely won't be doing) I don't know who is worth listening to and those guides are LOOOOOONG, even if some of them are extremely well done. That vast majority of the people won't want to put a ton of work in to just hop in game and play (and if like me, once playing will start learning what they need to )
- Still in Class Forums: Technology is great, and every can share so it's all quantity > quality. While some community members have been kind enough to compile specs/builds, knowing which one to choose or who to listen to, even for someone very seasoned in gaming communities) is another hurdle

The bottom line is that I'm back because a friend, who is playing and knows my play style, took the time to direct me to the right build. Once again I love the game and am starting to get familiar with all of the updates. I also instantly dropped $40 on some new stash tabs. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has gone through this. There has to be a better way...

Fully knowing that GGG is in a much better position than I am to know what could be done to help here, I'd definitely like to suggest considering the following:

- Easiest thing to do is officially (community wise) identify your favorite builds of the week/month for each class that would be great for someone returning or starting fresh. Your endorsement of a build would, trust/credibility wise, sit 2nd only to a friend's and help fast track people into the game. If you don't have time to do it, I'm sure you could find a volunteer council of build ass kickers in the community that could select them for you.
- Some other options: Offer a once a month (or post patch) $5 no-regret reset (I even made that rhyme) in case we screw up or pick a build we're not happy with. That gives us a little flexibility to try something out without the threat of a heavy penalty (hours of farming/trading to get the orbs to reset the skills).

That being said, anyone like to suggest a witch build (I do miss my IR spork goddess)?

Peace, love & 6 links!

Zelnikka (my currently only spec'ed character :P)

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info