Change wording of "mana cost"

Given that we have blood magic, and soon (possibly) ES covering Mana, I think the text "mana cost" on skill gems and/or tool tips should be changed, perhaps to just "cost" or "skill cost". Perhaps "mana" could be changed dynamically on tool tips to "Life cost", in the case of BM, to reflect the casting resource being used, though "Energy Shield/Mana cost" would be a bit of a mouthful in the case of v2.0.0 EB builds.

It's confusing to new players for, e.g, Cyclone linked to Blood Magic support to still show a "mana" cost.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
BM says "The mana cost of any skill supported by this gem will be paid with life instead of mana."

Surely this is less confusing than saying "cost" and having nubs wonder what the heck it means. By the time they unlock BM (lvl 24), surely they'll understand the game well enough to grok its description.

Also, in your 2.0 EB example, saying "Energy Shield/Mana cost" is very ambiguous as to priority of paying the cost, as well as a mouthful. Something simple like "Mana cost" and EB saying "Mana costs are paid out of ES before mana" (or vice versa, or half and half, not sure how it works) would be much clearer.

Additionally, it would be confusing since things like Reduced Mana would have to be changed as well.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 20, 2015, 7:21:24 AM
"
tsftd wrote:
BM says "The mana cost of any skill supported by this gem will be paid with life instead of mana."

Surely this is less confusing than saying "cost" and having nubs wonder what the heck it means. By the time they unlock BM (lvl 24), surely they'll understand the game well enough to grok its description.

For skills that are cast from life (whether by BM support gem or BM keystone), it is confusing and downright inaccurate for the tooltip for that skill to read "mana cost".

"
tsftd wrote:
Also, in your 2.0 EB example, saying "Energy Shield/Mana cost" is very ambiguous as to priority of paying the cost, as well as a mouthful.

As I said, "perhaps". It's a suggestion, I'm not proposing exactly the changes I've described, simply suggesting that some or all (gems, skill tooltips) of the references to "mana cost" be changed to something more accurate.
it's not misleading. it's still a mana cost, you're just paying it with X other source. calling it something other than a mana cost is what would be misleading.

BM doesn't change the cost of the skill -- the skill still costs mana. you just pay that mana cost with life.

I don't know if you play MTG but here's an analogy in case you do. I have a red spell (cost RR). I have an artifact that says "Pay 1 colorless mana: Add 1 red mana to your mana pool." You are suggesting that that artifact should say "Sources that cost red mana now cost an equivalent amount of colorless mana" -- it just doesn't make sense.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info