SC people that tried HC for the first time.

"
Phrazz wrote:
I used to play HC in D2 and D3, and enjoyed it a lot more than SC. In PoE, on the other hand, I refuse to play a game mode designed around being able to log out fast enough.

Some people think that HC automatically brings more tension, more planning and more tactics to the table. And by all means, on some level it does - but there are hundreds of players playing like this on soft core, reaching far beyond level 80 without dying (or logging out), as there are in HC.

Wow, I just totally went SC vs HV mode right of the bat.

Either you have a weak memory or you never played D2 because you could logout instantly there too.
Reminds me how bad I am at this game. I like it!
"
vvooee wrote:
Im trying to like the HC setting every time there is a new league.

Characters on HC so far

Searing bond templar in invasion got to fellshrine on merciless but i got bored to it and deleted the character

Poison arrow without trap ranger to merciless ledge in bloodlines and died to non maxed fireresistance goatman with molten shell one shot (i know my own fault)

Second poison arrow with the same spec got to merciless submerged and died to openin a box in too tight corridor and coundt run away. (had like 5 sec time stuck in the monster pack, but im not used to logging off so didnt even think about that option at the point)

Dual shockwave totem templar got to merciless city of sarn but i got bored to it and deleted it.

Played (incinerate) templar on the current 1month HC but incinerate didnt seem to work while leveling so switched to searing bond to level faster and got bored on cruel fellshrine and deleted the toon.

Normal HC has seen few of my character before the leagues even started but those didnt even make it to cruel before boredom.

To sum this up.

In HC i feel like i need to play REALLY REALLY safe and tanky which leads me to totems most of the time which leads to faster leveling but seems to also lead to boredom and deletion of the character. This leads me to the next problem which is that most of the skills i do like to play with doesnt work as well as i would like while leveling or they arent tanky enough to level with or need tons more links than the stupid searing bond which lets you snooze through the normal/cruel/merciless without much thinking or investment to anything exept life.

I have nothing against HC but i would prefer a way to play each and every build from the lvl 1 to begin with so i woulndt need to use something superior to my real skill to level with. In SC i can just play with the skill i want to play from the level i can start to use it and if needed brute force my way through the game, but in HC thats not the case at least for me.

If i were to play melee in HC it still would lead to the fact that its safer and easier to level with totems so i would go with them.

Most spells i have used so far could be used to level with, but the fact that most of them are inferioir to totems (if the spell is without 20quality with quality they could surpass totems) which leads me againt to level with totems.

I really hate archer type of playing and the only bow skill i like is poison arrow, but it starts to suffer in damage in cruel untill you get the +2bow in merciless and it felt likeit could use some dmg adjustment on mid levels of the gem. (nothing too major but like gem levels 10-15 could use like 20 more dot dmg each)

Trappers are great and all but after i have played like 20 different kinda trappers it feels like you are forced to go with firetrap and burnprolif which im also kinda bored off after playing like 10 characters with burn prolif.

Sorry for the rant and all.

Level as cyclone its super easy even in hardcore
I dont see any any key!
I play both leagues exactly the same. Find no difference between standard leagues and [Removed by Support]leagues as I play to not die in either.
I have always played both but for some reason this ladder was rough on me. The new mods in combo with the wrong things are insta rip if your not hot keyed to alt f4.

First death cruel act 2 trapper rogue in th he same room as the chaos leaper frog guy.

Second death chaos bond leapers in a room we it igna.

After that figured I would take a break from hc until act4
Last edited by 0mens on Apr 16, 2015, 10:14:09 AM
Pros of HC:

• You can play with defensive skillsetups without feeling gimped (Decoy Totem, Coldsnap trap, Smokemine)
  • You learn how imoportant manually dodging can be and learn the value of armor (and why IR was considered a must be4 CWDT)

Cons of HC:
  • Constant skipping of "possible RIPpy" parts of the game, never touching them unless you are okey with rerolling your character.(Graveyard Merveil, 72 Map bosses in general, overleveling to stay safe)
  • Slower progression if you don't play the safe meta builds.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.
Last edited by Vincendra on Apr 16, 2015, 10:46:45 AM
"
Vincendra wrote:
Pros of HC:

• You can play with defensive skillsetups without feeling gimped (Decoy Totem, Coldsnap trap, Smokemine)
  • You learn how imoportant manually dodging can be and learn the value of armor (and why IR was considered a must be4 CWDT)

Cons of HC:
  • Constant skipping of "possible RIPpy" parts of the game, never touching them unless you are okey with rerolling your character.(Graveyard Merveil, 72 Map bosses in general, overleveling to stay safe)
  • Slower progression if you don't play the safe meta builds.

I feel like thats a fair assessment, but for pros I would include additional excitement from the knowledge that you could die at any moment and a healthier economy due to death being a constant item sink.

Personally I cant play softcore as having an immortal character bores me to tears
I dont see any any key!
I tried HC for the first time in 1month challenge and i got to admit i enjoyed it too much but its not something i wanna keep doing because the feeling of dying and losing all progress always keeps me nervious so for my own health care i better stay away from it.

I finished all the hc challenges, it was a good and enjoyable experience but that kind of game is not for me.
"
otinanai2 wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
I used to play HC in D2 and D3, and enjoyed it a lot more than SC. In PoE, on the other hand, I refuse to play a game mode designed around being able to log out fast enough.

Some people think that HC automatically brings more tension, more planning and more tactics to the table. And by all means, on some level it does - but there are hundreds of players playing like this on soft core, reaching far beyond level 80 without dying (or logging out), as there are in HC.

Wow, I just totally went SC vs HV mode right of the bat.

Either you have a weak memory or you never played D2 because you could logout instantly there too.

Did I write anywhere that we couldn't log out in D2?

D2 wasn't BUILT AROUND the ability to log out or alt+F4. PoE is. And it's sad.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I played HC for the first time with the one month, and I didn't enjoy it overall. I died with my first two characters (lvl 50 Incinerate Witch leveling with Lightning Tendrils - got trapped in a corner with a bunch of crazy mod enemies - my fault, ~lvl 40 Ground Slam Marauder - died to sudden desync - out of my control), and the third time was the charm (Arc Witch), even if she was squishier than I would have liked.

+Got a cool armour set, completed a personal goal, unlocked a bunch of achievements
+Felt like I could rack up Chaos quickly at high levels in that economy

-It's more stressful than invigorating
-I hate permadeath and losing progress when you sink so much time into a character
-Too many factors out of my control, especially desync, that can lead back to square one
-Leveling characters is slower than in SC, and slow ≠ fun here
-Felt like I had to skip a lot of the fun content (map mods, enemies, stongboxes, party play)

I only did the league for the armour set. I hope to never set foot in HC again, but I can't say that I won't because flashy items get my attention. Oh look, a penny!

"
I play both leagues exactly the same. Find no difference between standard leagues and [Removed by Support]leagues as I play to not die in either.

I have a lot of high level characters in Standard, so I get this (you don't get high level characters by dying), but there's this impending sense of doom in a HC race that you don't get in SC. I'm not a fan of that feeling; I get enough of it in my regular life!
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Apr 16, 2015, 6:14:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info