Help on how physical damage is multiplied

Been playing for years but never was a melee character

Lets say:

Bino's kitchen knive which has a very high physical roll "60-140" Vs. a dagger that has a %increased physical damage with a small physical damage roll "10-30."

Both daggers have the same attack speed, crit chance, ect...same dps just different in terms of the physical roll.

Since Bino's has a higher physical damage "60-140," will a %10 increased phsyical damage passive increase the dps more then other dagger?

I ask this because next league im going to use Crown of Eye's and if Bino's is multiplied as how I think it is, it will get a huge gain in terms of the increased spell damage, rather then a near perfect crafted dagger.
Last edited by PillersOfGod on Apr 13, 2015, 11:36:25 PM
all that matters in terms of damage per hit is the numbers at the top of the item where it says physical damage 85-245 or whatever the binos has. the average of this multiplied by the attacks per second also shown at the top gives it the dps. If 2 daggers have exactly the same physical dps then they are essentially the same damage wise.

Example if one has

1.4aps and 85-240 phys

and the other has

1.4 aps and 85-240 phys

it doesnt matter if one has the mods 10-20 physical damage + 100% increased physical damage and the other had 25-45 physical damage + 40% increased physical damage. Those stats are local to the weapon and just icnrease the phys damage at the top. The damage at the top is them multiplied by your 'increased' physical damage from the tree, gems and other bits of gear and then the resulting number is multiplied by the 'more' physical damage from the melee physical damage gem if you are using that.

flat elemental damage, flat physical damage, % physical damage, attack speed and critical strike chance on a weapon are local stats, meaning they are just buffing the local stats at the top of the weapon. These stats will go blue to show they have been midified by a local affix or quality on the item.
ok looking at what uve said about crown of eyes, no it wont work that way, the % increased from spell damage wont be additive with the % increases on a rare dagger, doesnt matter if it got there from flat, % or a mix of the two, it will just take the resulting physical damage at the top of the dagger and multiply that with no regard for what local stats went in to making those numbers.
Hey, sorry for the bump, but I've a related question: Does the Melee Physical Damage gem affect global flat phys mods on other pieces of gear, i.e. Abyssus? What exactly does the gem affect? I know global flat phys mods gets affected by your skill tree, i.e. "Increased physical damage."
My summoner guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1765329
My shop thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1748967
"
Kaz2ndChance wrote:
Hey, sorry for the bump, but I've a related question: Does the Melee Physical Damage gem affect global flat phys mods on other pieces of gear, i.e. Abyssus? What exactly does the gem affect? I know global flat phys mods gets affected by your skill tree, i.e. "Increased physical damage."

Yes, it's a more multiplier, it multiplies literally every source of physical damage that goes into your melee attack to be dealt as melee damage. So, it won't affect the projectile damage of lightning strike, but it'll affect the initial hit.
Last edited by codetaku on May 3, 2015, 12:30:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info