What do you think of Evasion now?

In 0.9.2 it was well known that Evasion was a little bit broken and you could be killed in one hit at higher levels.

So I'm just wondering, what do Dex classes think of the new Evasion mechanics in 0.9.3?

Is it now worthwhile to invest points into Evasion?

Do you still need to put points into Life or can you now rely on Evasion for your defensive needs?

What about gear, is it best to focus on high Evasion gear now, or is it still better to use a combo of Armour or Energy shield gear?

Very curious to see what people think.
"
Tiptoe wrote:
In 0.9.2 it was well known that Evasion was a little bit broken and you could be killed in one hit at higher levels.

So I'm just wondering, what do Dex classes think of the new Evasion mechanics in 0.9.3?

Is it now worthwhile to invest points into Evasion?

Do you still need to put points into Life or can you now rely on Evasion for your defensive needs?

What about gear, is it best to focus on high Evasion gear now, or is it still better to use a combo of Armour or Energy shield gear?

Very curious to see what people think.

I would imagine evasion alone will never be all you need for your defensive needs.

That said, there seems to be a higher enough evasion level (in my experience) that a careful ranged character that is mostly not getting hit by attacks can rely on evading an attack that happens to slip through and make it to their character, which is nice. If you are getting surrounded and whacked on, you won't really be able to avoid each and every attack, of course.

If you are trying to build defensively, a mix of stats is still best. Armor was also reworked, so that you'll find if you are surrounded by weak enemies you will take very little damage, but more damage will make it through your armor from a powerful attack. Evasion is somewhat the opposite: you will take high damage when surrounded by tons of enemies, but if you are going up against one powerful attack it will be avoided far more often than not.

Due to the nature of that, it even synergizes a bit better with energy shield than before: when less attacks make it through, you have a higher chance for your energy shield to recharge before you get hit again.

In general, this seems to have given better niches to the tankish characters, however. Energy shield still, unfortunately, rewards the same "stop and start" gameplay that mana in general rewards (won't go further on my opinion of that subject), but rangers now take damage less than before and marauders take less damage than before (note the subtle difference there, I'm so clever) and a hybrid tanky duelist will probably have the better overall situational mitigation.

I would argue it may be time to actually shift focus and take a hard look at energy shield now. I have a sneaking suspicion the evasion/energy shield combo that the sixth class armor will specialize in will work well enough for that class (for the same reason I posted that evasion synergizes well with energy shield previously), but I don't know that I feel that the armor/energy shield armor geared at templars is really all that effective in practice, which is why I assume tanky templars had to be granted gimmicks like block on staves and resists on str/int shields.
Last edited by Kraide on Nov 19, 2011, 2:13:58 AM
So it looks like evasion alone still isn't enough to keep a ranger alive at high levels.

You make an interesting point about evasion/energy shield gear being better than pure evasion gear.

But I'm still undecided, should I spend precious passive points into the evasion skills or just rely on my gear?

so the question is still there will high lvl full eva build get killed by a hit of monster(if hitted)?
my beta key thanks to Fansadox
I was relying on pure evasion
and life steal to keep me alive.

But lvl 54 now and it is not enough.
I can hardly stay alive.
So I will be going more defensive now.
"
nimidonam wrote:

I can hardly stay alive.

I was afraid of this :(. But how will you increase your defense? Will you start putting points into evasion? Or are you going to change your gear from pure evasion to something else?

"
nimidonam wrote:

I can hardly stay alive.

You should post your gear. This is good feedback and people should not be forced to really change away from pure evasion if their gear and tactics are sound.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Evasion won't save you as a ranger. If you're getting hit a bunch you're pretty much toast. The only reliable means of survivability I've found is to have stupidly high ias (frenzy stacks, frenzy stacks, and more frenzy stacks... oh and an ias gem), knockback flasks, and temporal chains. Just don't let anything get close to you.

And besides, investing heavily into evasion will make your damage fall even further behind those 7k dps witches (/sigh) and you just won't be able to kill stuff at any reasonable speed.
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
i'm on full evasion gear right now at lvl 50 with shit equipment and it works just fine. i really don't plan to spend any passives in defence befor lvl 65 atm. only thing i'm thinking about right now is to push my killing speed. a good offence is the best defence!
but i'm guessing a combination of pure dex and dex/str amour hybrid gear (high chance to evade + dmg reduction) should be the best solution. energy shield might be fine as well for PvM if u can collect a good amount of it. i think for PvP dmg reduction should be better. but it all depends on the new requirements for gear. maybe u'll get forced into pure dex if u want to avoid dmg penalties.
really wanna try eva tanker do you think it will work?
use ranger pump all for eva passive and dex + good gear + high blokc shield, i think can get eva up to 60%? +good shield can make block up to 40%? so it can probably block out all atk but will it work? any ideas?

also wondering how monster accuracy effect your evasion :D
my beta key thanks to Fansadox

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info