Theorycraft: Vaal Pact + Ghost Reaver + CI, claw sponge

Planning how to start out the next league. Sounds like melee is getting some buffs, so i figured why not a shadow (only class I've not played).

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAotmw2P-TsJJR2Ra_7UGxs6Z_tUgRL-tjmZq29ysKKgvz6nDVcFKJ021s44Q2Pfb8wJynNNvnRwZfarTFFf1vV0X0ZK-KOBGWAQm42d1If8aio7jKO3wPxCy_wcVWYxXXhq4tH5UgwfMdT6crNbkRUG0Zz-nQ0C4IglO5fIwL7LBcitsa53S-OhB7Iuro1rt8IQNl8dAJapWSgJoXb57KSsM6m7V3B4cTnKSsR1FMfVsqTUrIPyepbrXybqoqODIJcmxsRmeAqAdttMB2FI4XPoMJ646T_MEA9UsOSA==

Key stats.

- > 130% increased evasion
- > 120% increased energy shield
- ~100% increased attack speed
- ~285% increased crit chance
- ~75% increased crit multi
- ~300% increased damage
- 8% life leech on tree and Vaal Pact + Ghost Reaver
- 30% resist all and CI

Attacks

Dual Claw (12% leech and ~6-7% base crit)
5-link = Reave + Increased Melee + Increased Melee on Full Life + Multistrike + Life Leech
auras = Discipline + Hatred (and Grace if can get the right items)

Possibly working faster attacks in there if it somehow proves more efficient than raw damage or i get a 6 link, though I think my passives (with multistrike) have attack speed covered. It also sounds like there might be a must have melee defensive support (-25% damage taken) in the next patch. So if its too squish I'd work that in instead of increased melee or something.

Viable or waste of time? (little worried about CI on a fresh league)
What isn't optimal about this?
What do you think the weaknesses would be?
Last edited by Lendari on Mar 31, 2015, 10:11:05 PM
Some points about the build:

-Reave alternates weapons, so dual claw is kind of pointless. I would recommend either using a shield or using dual strike instead.

-Es% is on the low side, I would suggest closer to 180% (not counting int), although ofcourse this depends on your gear.

-Leech gem is extremely redundant. You already have leech in tree, from claw implicit, and free bloodrage.

Couple points about CI in general if you are not familiar with it:

-Socket colours. You either need to spend 800 chromes or use a hybrid chest piece. Usually not a huge issue, but you are not using a shield either so it will be harder to get adequate es.

-How are you planning to deal with stun and freeze?

You get 50% stun avoidance from picking up CI, but this is not adequate for most builds, and not for melee (unless you use cyclone I guess).

Duration of stuns and freezes are based off of what your life pool would be without CI.

-In general, yes CI is fresh league viable, especially with master crafting. You will be levelling as a life-based character, so worst case scenario you can tough it out got some extra levels until you can afford the right gear/es pieces become more available in the market.

Good luck, and see you in act4!
My builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629242

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info