Recommend Me a Good Anime (Samkiud's "to Watch" List)

FMA:B is nice, it also has big similarities with PoE's story imo. Also based on your love for Gantz I'd probably recommend Mirai Nikki and Claymore.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

A while ago i was impressed by an anime "Angel Beats!",
it might suit what you are looking for.

Even the unstoppable force can not break the unbreakable wall.
gekijouban kara no kyoukai the garden of sinners

Probably best anime u can find. It basically scores 10/10 in music/graphic/storyline/atmosphere/characters and w/e there can be. My #1 recomendation for everyone (even for anime-haters).

Evangelion (was recommended already) - if u really want to have a depression for few weeks. Still great stuff - real classics, take a note that its basically 26 series + "The End of Evangelion (which came out as separate thing).

Higarushi no naku koro ni and Umineko no naku koro ni - both are great stuff. U wont make a mistake if u watch these. Careful - they can blow ur mind aswell.

Hellsing - if u going for Hellsing thing - watch "Hellsing OVA". This stuff is hilarious in its quality and I would recomend it over TV series!

FMA:B - totally approve it and recommend!

Code Geass - totally approve. If u really like twists and epicness u will watch all 2 seasons 2 the end.

Paranoia Agent - mindblowing one. Good quality. Very original plot and storyline. I would say its more of a psychodelic at some moments. Definetely recommend! Still one of my favourites.

Boogiepop Fantom - this one was hard for me, never was able to watch it till end (no time also). But give it a try - its really mindblowing and original with good production quality.

One more: Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! Its very specific and quite unique in what it does. Give it a try!

I also can recommend some really good Cyberpunk themes. Feel free to pm if u interested in these ones.
Last edited by RetardedPaladin on Apr 2, 2015, 8:29:06 AM
"
Kara no kyoukai is still no Steins;gate, although Kajiura always does a great soundtrack. Sakamoto Maaya is as good as ever.

Few here are responding to Samkuid's request, and I can bet most of these recommendations wouldn't work for him.

Ah, I got one, Samkuid. Paranoia Agent, or indeed anything by the late, great Satoshi Kon. His genius for psychological intensity transcended anime. Paprika is basically the inspiration for Nolan's misfire Inception, and Millennium Actress is just one of the best movies I've ever seen, nevermind anime.

-Existential subjects, such as soul and fate. Not necessarily religious matter.
-Mind games and plot twists as in Death Note.

I think my list is quite close to these, maybe with some exceptions (Hellsing probably wont suit here, but its still awesome thing). And ye, Paranoia Agent is wonderful :D One of best stuff I ever watched. Ill probably watch Millenium Actress if u recommend it (looks like u know what u talking about), I just have so little time for things like this. Haven't watched anything new for like ages.

About Guntz - great stuff, but heavy as hell, mostly because of alot of "long dialogues during action scenes" stuff during ALL 26 series.

Elfen Leid imo is more of a fun-service. Its unfinished in its plot and character development aswell. Won't recommend it.

On a side note - try "Aoi Bungaku Series". Its a mix of different stuff, based on japanese novels from 19xx (4 or 5 stories if i'm not mistaken). Good stuff, made with quality.
Last edited by RetardedPaladin on Apr 2, 2015, 8:47:39 AM
"good anime" is an oxymoron

but if you must watch korean stick figures watch:
Fist of the North Star
Cyber City Oedo 808
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Let the games begin
Last edited by whineston on Apr 2, 2015, 11:19:35 AM
"
Stop posting and go watch Steins;Gate.

You won't believe me... I poked Attack on Titan just to take a look and determinate why people are so hyped... and I got hooked; funny thing if we consider action/drama is not what I'm looking for, but I feel attracted to the lore and atmosphere of that anime. I'll start watching Steins;Gate as soon as I finish this one. Then I'll look at what other people have suggested. Good stuff, by the way. Thank you all. I was wrong when I thought my options were limited.
Last edited by Samkiud on Apr 2, 2015, 11:11:41 AM
Oo I just remembered. Watch "Zankyou no terror" I think you'll love that one!

It's only got 1 season, but i was completely hooked after the first 2 episodes, everything about it is just so weirdly beautiful.

I really can't explain, but you should definitely give it a try for at least the first 2 episodes!

Ugh effort
Despite watching Paranoia Agents in English dubs back in the early days and a couple of years ago the subbed version, I still do not like the series. Something about this series ticks me off, but I still happen to rewatch once every few years just because it somehow draws me in again.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Apr 2, 2015, 8:01:54 PM
"

Can you pinpoint what ticks you off (without spoilers)?

Maybe the phrase "being ticked off" is a little bit too strong, but of course, I am really annoyed. I do not think that should be detrimental that the overall experience from the series. I really liked (I may be contradicting myself because in the previous post, I said I did not like the series) Paranoia Agent, otherwise I would not rewatch the series every time.

To answer your question, it has to do with the concept behind the "lil slugger."What was Satoshi trying to portray out of this character? I felt like the idea behind lil slugger was all over the place, and maybe there was hidden message or at least a purpose for the existent of this character. I just do not get it still. :(
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Apr 2, 2015, 10:42:41 PM
In case you haven't seen it:

- Evangelion 90's tv series
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Trigun
- Sakuracardcaptors / X-clamp
- Hellsing 2000's TV series
- Ghost in the shell 1st season
- Escaflowne movie
- Cowboy bebop
- FLCL
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Summer wars
- Steins;Gate (pretty good one but i really hate the anime cliche and draw style)
Spoiler
SO BAD

- maybe Attack on Titan but kinda heavily censored compared to the manga.

Last edited by dimraiden on Apr 3, 2015, 2:57:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info