2h ground slammer (1 month HardCore race 4/4)

Nice mini-guide. Feels good to go back to the classic slamjam marauder. Any thoughts on a single target skill? I've been leveling with molten strike and it seems good so far. I see there's no more space for gems in your gear though.

Also a tip for anyone still starting, geofri's baptism can carry you for quite a while.
IGN: Joffs / Brotato
Well for single target i'd say heavy strike if you ask me .. but that's just me because i never liked molten strike ( i can't stand it actually ).

And yes, geofri's baptism is awesome and can indeed serve you very well for quite some time ( sadly i wasn't able to get one when i needed it ... things are expensive in the beginning :P )
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Thanks for sharing this build, made it to lvl40 act 2cruel but then ripped to my net disconnecting for 10 seconds. :( Going to reroll this though because it was really fun leveling!

Hey man, thanks a lot for the guide it's working out great so far. Quick Q, I'm not doing it in HC, I'm doing the SC one now and mostly gonna play standard for a while after. Is it possible to do the build without acrobatics or is it just that good for it? Cheers.
Well if you are playing in SC you could try without acrobatics .. but it's just amazing ... it effectively doubles your survivability and traveling all the way to it is actually not a waste due to the awesome nodes in that part of the tree. Of course you are free to try without it but i can't guarantee that the end result will be good :)
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Thanks for the answer, was mostly wondering because I like bulking up with lots of armour. But it was more a thematic thing than an efficiency one.
Well that's the thing with 2-handed weapons and why most people deem them underpowered - they severely lack defensive mechanics. You can't get block ( aside from staves of course .. but even they have very low base block chance ) , and because you don't have a shield ( shield have huge armour + there are crazy shield defense nodes which multiply that amount greatly ) stacking armour is hard and ineffective.

So i was thinking .. what reliable defensive mechanic i could use with 2h maces ... and of course acrobatics and phase acrobatics is the obvious choice. Some might argue that it's not that reliable due to it's random nature ( 40% chance to take 0% damage from an attack and 60% chance to take 100% damage from the said attack ) but the thing is that acrobatics just like block ( and unlike the primary defenses - armour and evasion ) has always the same chance to prevent the incoming damage. It does not care about the hit chance of your enemies and it does not care how big is the hit .. it's 40% ... all day every day. On top of that with Resolute technique you can't evade your own reflected attacks but you can dodge them! And needless to say phase acrobatics is awesome .. and the only thing that do what it does is the spell block chance .. which of course is not an option when it comes to 2h maces.

So in the end acrobatics + phase acrobatics + some evasion ( mainly gained due to Grace ) + big enough life pool + life regeneration + life leech + endurance charges = a character with extremely high survivability

And this build gives you all of these things while the DPS is still acceptable and above level 80 you can focus entirely on offensive nodes to greatly improve your damage output.

With the new expansion i plan on remaking this build. The tree will still look pretty much the same + the jewel passives of course and probably some more endurance charge nodes... because i'm planing to use the new vigilante strike ( that was the name right ? i'm too lazy to go and check it out ) as the main ( and probably only ) attack ... sadly it will no longer be a ground slam build .. but it'll still be a 2h - mace marauder build with RT, acro and phase acro .. i suspect that the dps will be more, the aoe less but the suvrivability would be even greater ( due to the fortify buff ) :)

P.S. Hopefully i'll get into the closed beta to try this early on :P
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 12, 2015, 10:10:56 AM
This is one of my first HC characters. I played an ele ST scion for a bit, but havent touched HC much. Liking the build, it's fun to play something melee when everyone is saying how bad melee is.

I went with CWDT - EC - IC since Im a pussy. Is the build really fine with just End charges on stun with vengence? Maybe Im not proccing it much since I was 1-2 shooting crap all the way to now (well I still am).

Any thoughts on what my next upgrade should be? I only have ~15c. 5L chest? end game mace?

/e some stats:
3.3k hp
5207 evasion
76/72/75/-49 resists
2.8k list dps
Last edited by michaelthe on Apr 12, 2015, 2:13:09 PM
I'm using CWDT + Enduring cry as well as endurance charge on stun + vengeance.

Buy a 5L chest ( white ones are pretty cheap )
also put quality on your mace ASAP :)
If possible get The magnate for nice dps boost
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 12, 2015, 2:28:30 PM
After the 3º rip, i made this build to try reach my achiev for hc race!

current 3/4 challenges lv70 alrdy!

this gear is pretty much self found, outside the mace that i got for 20c. i have to change almost everything for a hp and armour boost, but no money for this yet.

im loving the build so far, using heavy strike life leech for bosses, sitting on 4100hp ground slam 10k deeps, heavy strike unlinked 9k deeps!

i had some problems while leveling because some mobs hits so hard, since im not playing with macros anymore, i passed for some 'OMG' phases during leveling, i think i will be playing this build in act4 because i lovep laying melee, but with some changes on the tree for more defensives helps.

thanks for the guide!

edit: i never used magnate before, always using meginords, but WTF the 50% increased Flask Charges gained from this belt is SO AMAZING, i just keep spamming my pots and they never end, i have to buy a granite now for meeps and will be fine untill 80.
This world is an illusion, exile!
Totems for life!
Last edited by Mawwk on Apr 13, 2015, 10:39:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info