2h ground slammer (1 month HardCore race 4/4)

Hey guys!
First of all some of you might know what my guides look like ... so this is definitely NOT a guide!
A couple of guys asked me to show them what i was playing in this race so here it is.

Many players say that melee is "ded" and that playing arc or incinerate or totems or ranged is the way to go especially in a HC race ... but being the softcore scrub that i am i've decided to play with my very first build in Path of Exile - the 2h Groundslam Marauder!
And 36 hours, 0 deaths, 0 chicken logouts later:
Spoiler

Passive skill tree:

Passive skill tree Progression:
Warrior's Blood > Diamond Skin ( later refunded ) > Heart of the Warrior > Butchery > Barbarism > Resolute Technique > Bone Breaker > Skull Cracking > Constitution > Sentinel > Reflexes > Acrobatics > Phase Acrobatics > Quickness > Blood Drinker > Coordination > Blood Siphon > Sanctity > Discipline and Training > Retribution > Amplify > Charisma > Path of the Warrior

When you reach Cruel Dominus you should've just specced Phase Acrobatics

Gear:
Spoiler
Spoiler

I've used ground slam all the way from the start. For quite some time i've used Ground slam + Life gained on hit + Melee physical damage + blood magic. Later when i've got Multistrike ( Vagan sold it to me ) i've swapped life gained on hit for the multistrike . And when i've got my 5L i've put faster attacks.

Now i just want to say a few words about your 2h mace. From the beginning up to late merciless pretty much every mace you can find will 1-2 shot most of the monsters. When you reach Lunaris Temple start looking for an end-game mace (Colossus Mallet , Piledriver Meatgrinder, Terror Maul ... i prefer faster maces but the Imperial Maul is also awesome! ). When you get a white one, add 20% quality to it , transmute it and proceed to use alteration orbs on it until you get high % physical damage mod on it ( if you can roll attack speed on top of that it would be awesome ). 100% + is the amount of flat physical increase that you want. When you get the desired mods use a regal orb on it ( buy one if you havn't found one yet , they are not that expensive and by the time you do this you'll have enough currency ) . Now you have a rare 2h mace and all you need to do is to add the highest available flat physical damage from the Vagan crafting bench. Congratulations you now have a suitable ~400 pDPS 2h mace which is more than enough to carry you to level 80 and beyond!

Generally from your gear you want life and enough res to cap your resistances. Movement speed on your boots, physical damage on your jewelery and belt are also important.

Defense
Spoiler

Offense
Spoiler

Bandits
In normal i've helped Kraytin for the resists, helping Oak for the Life is also pretty good decision. In cruel i've helped Kraytin again for the attack speed, again helping Oak for the physical damage is also pretty good decision.
In Merciless i've helped Oak for the endurance charge. I generate charges with endurance charge on stun + vengeance and by killing enemies cursed with warlord's mark. Killing all bandits is also ok.

Oh and you might notice that i'm not using Immortal call... and that's right i'm not ... because no matter what some people might tell you... Immortal Call is NOT "mandatory" for a melee build ( which already "sucks" as i've heard )!
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 2, 2015, 10:32:44 AM
Nice, I was curious about what you were running. It's kind of a shame to see Acrobatics in the picture, but it's exactly what I'd do in HC too.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
Oh and you might notice that i'm not using Immortal call... and that's right i'm not ... because no matter what some people might tell you... Immortal Call is NOT "mandatory" for a melee build ( which already "sucks" as i've heard )!

Yeah, IC is overkill, particularly with Acrobatics or high block chance. Enduring Cry is the important part that most builds need, which makes me really concerned about the potential change to that gem.

How did you complete the challenges so fast? Party play?
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Yup... acrobatics was in my opinion necessary for playing this build in Hardcore.

And no, no party play , i play only solo.
Though i did daily master mission chains for the master mission challenge... i was missing 3 mission when i did my first chain.
For the boss kill mission... Zana was kind when i've met her in a Waste Pool Map and she opened a Palace map .. so i've killed the Dominus there.
The encounter mission is extremely easy and by the time you kill Piety in Merciless for the first time you should've already completed this one.
As for the level 80 ... i just run maps for a couple of hours.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Mar 30, 2015, 2:36:01 PM
"
Bandits
In normal i've killed Kraytin for the resists, killing Oak for the Life is also pretty good decision. In creul i've killed Kraytin for the attack speed, again killing Oak for the physical damage is also pretty good decision.
In Merciless i've killed Oak for the endurance charge. I generate charges with endurance charge on stun + vengeance and by killing enemies cursed with warlord's mark. Killing all bandits is also ok.

You mean help right? Anyways, Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to follow this "guide" since i really like playing melee.
If you can't control it, STOP.
I guess "killing" was the only thing in my mind ^^ Thanks for noticing!
I can't believe you did this in 36 hours (I mean, I can, I just must be slow). I'm still working on my SC character, and I play way more than most people. Granted, I tried something new (non-crit Lightning Tendrils) and it really doesn't compare to Incinerate, Flame Totem/Flameblast, or other spells, plus I can't seem to get the final mission I need! Stuck at 17/18.

Anyway, I might give this a go in HC... although I'm worried I'll be wasting my time and won't complete the challenges. What kind of dps did you hit? I reached almost 11k with my SC Witch, and clear speeds still felt slow.

Level 80... You just ran maps for a couple of hours to get there? What am I doing wrong, haha? A couple of hours gets me maybe two levels (if that) with the types of maps I've been dropping, and I generally roll pack size.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Apr 2, 2015, 9:50:07 AM
Yup i ran maps to get to level 80. Basically i've been grinding Lunaris Temple up to level 75 then i've started clearing maps level 66-70 ... i never even bothered to roll them properly ... In any case hitting level 80 is extremely easy ( or maybe i'm just used to the 1-2h of level 77-78 maps grinding just to get 1% exp on my high level characters? ) and you don't even need to run ANY maps at all to do that.

The unique boss challenge i've completed thanks to Zana and a level 71 Palace map that she opened.

The encounter challenge is ... come on ... it's the easiest of them all ... by the time you hit level 75 you should've already completed that ( unless the RNG gods hate you )

The master missions ... what can i say ... /global 820 ...

The DPS is ~10k. Keep in mind that clearing speed with different spells/attacks yet with the same DPS can be very different!

Anyway i'll upload screens in a few minutes.

Edit : Screens uploaded
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 2, 2015, 10:37:16 AM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
The unique boss challenge i've completed thanks to Zana and a level 71 Palace map that she opened.

The encounter challenge is ... come on ... it's the easiest of them all ... by the time you hit level 75 you should've already completed that ( unless the RNG gods hate you )

The master missions ... what can i say ... /global 820 ...

Oh, I don't think the challenges are hard, I'm just worried about dying to something that's out of my control before I get to the point where I can complete even one of them! One attempt so far (and my first ever HC character); died at level 50. I felt like I was doing really well... until I was trapped in a corner with desync and a bunch of ridiculous enemies. I should have logged out. You live, you learn.
Last edited by Tempada on Apr 2, 2015, 11:07:50 AM
Well the risk of dying is always there. There are no immortal builds. ;)
Careful playstyle is what keeps you alive.
Hi, I followed your build and ripped on lvl 43 because I didn't have a bleeding removal flask. Fuck it, I rolled another char today, but I gotta ask you, at what lvl did you start using cwdt+immortal+rest of the gems in your gloves?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info