Exactly why does hardcore exist?

Before you flame me: I completely understand the appeal and demand for a permadeath league.

The thing that contradicts this for me, however, is that you will see like 90%+ of HC players alt f4 in the face of certain death.

All I can see HC offering at that point is...the feeling of being "better" than softcore players and a consistently new economy.

And no i'm not an established player with 27 million exalts and 48 sets of mirrored gear, simply questioning.
To give players the choice of how they want to engage and interact with the game. Utilising existing systems within that framework is fully up to the player. Alt-F4 is not a 100% gauranteed way to avoid death, either, so they are still bound by the consequences of their actions and mistakes (for the most part).

This thread is going to get really really depressing.

As a side note - its not HC players versus SC players, there is only a very VERY small part of either community that gives a shit about how and what the other plays.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Mar 26, 2015, 7:39:02 PM
Not this again...
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't this debate rolling already?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1225823

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Someone hurt your feelings?

No seriously great bait ☺
"
kussekurt wrote:
Someone hurt your feelings?

No seriously great bait ☺

Your name offends me. Really. Skjerp deg!:D
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
BIGGER DIK
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
To serve as a constant reminder that melees are second-class citizens in Wraeclast.

Also to allow players who hide behind low-risk cowardice to feel better about themselves.
"
austinrelis wrote:
90%+ of HC players alt f4 in the face of certain death.
Citation needed.

I estimate it's more like 9%, big picture. But probably gets close to your 90% if you're only looking at the top 100 of a ladder.

Are we only looking at the top 100 of a ladder?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 26, 2015, 8:36:09 PM
There's a massive difference between the way HC players and SC players play. Whenever I party on bosses, the SC players I'm with seem fine dying multiple times and eventually taking down some of the act bosses with just brute force. It's not enjoyable to play with people who are constantly dying and just running back, and I do like to party when I play, especially when I'm going through Act 3. Most of the SC players vastly overestimate how much alt+f4 is used in the HC leagues. Even though disconnection is instant, people just play a lot slower, their builds aren't complete glass cannons, and the gear is worse thanks to the item sinks. I find the game much more enjoyable when the people I'm partying with aren't dying and coming back over and over (never happens in HC even though it's possible. The people who have to alt+f4 that much just don't play that league since it's not a perfect remedy).

So yeah, I play HC leagues almost exclusively, and I alt+F4, but the death penalty affects a lot more things which, in my opinion, make the game more fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info