What would you do: A cartographer's strongbox hypothetical.

So, you're in a lvl 75 Necropolis map (~70% more items), and you stumble across a Cartographer's Strongbox. It's already rare when you find it, so you identify it and find it has a few irrelevant suffixes and two prefixes: 'contains a unique item' and 'contained items have 20% quality'.

What do you do? Do you open it as-is, and hope that despite the lack of additional items/mirror/quantity affixes it still gives you a decent amount of maps (knowing they'll all be 20q, too)? Do you chaos it? Do you scour it and trans/alt/aug it? Do you try something else?

As you might suspect, I had this happen just a little while ago, and I had to stop and think about it for a little while before I did anything. While I'd expect the unique to be worthless anyway, I still found it hard to pass up the chance at something big, and being guaranteed 20% on everything just made it even harder to pass. Ultimately I decided to open it as-is, figuring the league was ending soon and I'm not really planning to play standard.

But I wanna know, what would you guys do?
I've been suckered into opening Cartographers boxes before with the unique mod. It is hard to resist the 'lottery' aspect of it.

However, practically speaking, you should really probably reroll it for +2 levels. However, I might still go for the unique if I had a stockpile of 75s already which by the end of a league, you surely will.

However, if it was in a 78? I'd always go for as many maps as I could get it to explode into. I don't care if its going to drop ten uniques. I'd rather have the maps.

Also, what unique did you get? This is what I got last time I fell for that trap.

"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Mar 16, 2015, 2:17:18 AM
"
Shppy wrote:
So, you're in a lvl 75 Necropolis map (~70% more items), and you stumble across a Cartographer's Strongbox. It's already rare when you find it, so you identify it and find it has a few irrelevant suffixes and two prefixes: 'contains a unique item' and 'contained items have 20% quality'.

What do you do? Do you open it as-is, and hope that despite the lack of additional items/mirror/quantity affixes it still gives you a decent amount of maps (knowing they'll all be 20q, too)? Do you chaos it? Do you scour it and trans/alt/aug it? Do you try something else?

As you might suspect, I had this happen just a little while ago, and I had to stop and think about it for a little while before I did anything. While I'd expect the unique to be worthless anyway, I still found it hard to pass up the chance at something big, and being guaranteed 20% on everything just made it even harder to pass. Ultimately I decided to open it as-is, figuring the league was ending soon and I'm not really planning to play standard.

But I wanna know, what would you guys do?

I'll chaos roll it and corrupt.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
Well if I'm in a party hosted by someone else, I'll yolo open it before they can craft it quit the party and wipe the whole map clean with my insane gear and clear speed and wreck the host's party.
I'd fall to my knees and pray to RNGesus for all 78 maps....
Only after Midnite do the Pagans Play
League is 3 minutes away from ending, and you're not gonna play Standard. So, why would you even care about the unique item anyway?

Roll for +levels.
id prob zone out, drop 30c on rolling it, try to buy a vaal in global for a brodeal price, get muted and zone back to map with no vaal, pop box and enjoy my 6 lv 70-72 maps
IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin
"

Also, what unique did you get? This is what I got last time I fell for that trap.

Idk if this item has a 3D art, but if/when it does = good skin-transfer item.
In a 75 zone I'd reroll for quantity & extra items and vaal it. In a 76+ zone I wouldn't vaal it. Go for +2 level if you lack 76+ maps.

unique item on cartobox = noobtrap
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Contains a unique item is complete garbage just like unique item you find in game. + level 3-5 is 100x more valuable than the 5 alt Redbeak and uniques like it that will drop.
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info