Building for the Most Interesting Rare I've Ever Seen

I think I'd still go for a CoMK setup, you don't see that everyday, better than a subpar CoC in any case. Something like molten strike - firestorm, it would have awesome crowd control and still enough singe target dps with just molten to take out any solo boss.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Mar 4, 2015, 1:59:22 PM
I see some interesting ideas here. It's also notable that no one has suggested the set up that the previous owner claims to have used to surpass 100k dps. The item's stats may appear "obvious" as to which concepts to aim for, but actually working out the particulars gets rather involved.

I'll 'reveal' my build once I get to say level 72. Currently at level 64.
I feel like double cyclone, a pure crit staff melee cyclone 6 link that generates power charges and a second coc 6 link cyclone casting say a prolif cold snap/ice spear/ice nova or something of this sort with crown of eyes and spell damage, maybe eb witch to fuel it. So you grind mobs with attack cyclone but can keep swapping between them in little bursts and have a second that just freezes entire packs providing crazy safety.
that is a wicked staff.

somehow you need to combine spell damage and physical
damage. maybe damage conversion will work nicely, as
it is usually a "more" modifier.

you can use physical movement skills, cyclone, flicker,
leapslam.

a physical cocs that generates spells might work, but
crit chance will be a limiter.

compared to a caster, you have similar block to a fossil shield,
but lower spell damage when combined with a wand.

edit: I don't see more spell damage from this than wand/shield,
damage conversions wont work, heralds will benefit a bit?
elemental auras wont benefit will they? damnit... I keep seeing
restrictions. Maybe it's key value is being able to use
close range splash casting, followed by a life leech cyclone
to escape when overwhelmed.

thanks for posting such a cool item and the challenge op.
I can't see an easy use. (cocs would suffer from crit chance
and attack speed... but how much? cocs is prolly best anyway)

what did the previous owner have in mind? spill it! none of us
have a staff like this anyway :P
Last edited by AgnosiousD on Mar 5, 2015, 9:27:22 AM
Around level 90-91 you could pass 100k with charges with crit SS. Can't do it much earlier without being squishy. My char for it is pretty tanky and maxes around 93k (w/ 5L Era) at level 88. Have 3 nodes until all of the primary damage nodes are complete.

A build similar to Etup's Hegemony Era build (HC, throw on abyssus(or CoE) in SC) would be pretty sweet, you'd just need a method to sustain power charges.

IMO, COMK is your best option tho.
I'll probably try something silly like:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QKPpv6zRKtXK1WuvYIsnG0ZES2X9Aj0fINSU8BUzfqXlT1fakO86riTTLPr7jLRUDAo-prgRUfbXoLHRZ3AZhEP-egMfVNSrfEEs5_fTC2smBB_GF2iADwF73wUsDpYxp7wH5o7gh5VxoKbiELbC4Pb7DjBxScvKU_sGJBVhX2P-nC7Gjjw1cAaSVGVLmaeWfMHHvrS7UQRlhcvFm9KLryaDkhk5ySq42rVi0FyXfJjQ1XWNumnpclncNWApInTcFIqC_PqtUhtbA-rNj0Wv52qJpVirGyMYeJVS4w2aPI=

Crown of Eyes
Romira's Banquet
CoD + AA

AOE:
Sweep
Multistrike
Faster Attacks
Cast on Crit
Spell 1 (Ice Nova?)
Life Leech/Spell 2

ST:
Frenzy?
Multistrike
Faster Attacks
Cast on Crit
Spell 1 (Flame Surge?)
Life Leech/Spell 2

This build is probably really shitty though, just me being obsessed with EB/CoD/AA Lol.
Sweep is implicitly bad. I'd say Static Strike and Cyclone are far superior melee skills, no mater what. Also, banquet is best for Cold Snappers and mass-dischargers. CoD may not be all that bad, as you're in int/ES land for spells and shadow at least. Kaoms is probably still better, "modern" melee attacks made single target alternates irrelevant.
Last edited by PhysoniumI on Mar 5, 2015, 2:35:19 PM
Currently level 69 and as mentioned already I'm starting to realize that the build I'm wanting to do won't be fully realized until probably level 90! And the guy who sold it to me happened to be over level 90 as well. So that's maybe how he got 100k from it.

I see a lot of good ideas for offensive skill setups. And I'm probably going to incorporate a thing or two that's said here xD

But at the moment I'm focusing on defenses. And once I did switch to Crown of Eyes (!) it started trolling me, bros!! At least for my defensive setup. I planned on flask whoring with these instead of using immortal call:

Spoiler
(Ignore gem setup, I messed up all my colors and so I'm just leveling with this till I can get them correct or make a six link xD)

But Crown of Eye's leeches for a lot and causes my flasks to end prematurely, ruining the epic lightning/cold resists I'd had before putting it on. The only way I can think to stop myself from leeching is to dual wield with Infractum, or to slap a Diedbell or a Mindspiral on top of Crown of Eyes. Shame that there aren't any rings, gloves, boots to prevent you from leeching, are there?

This situation has caused me to have to do a ton of rethinking of a lot of things. As far as being interesting to use is concerned, the staff does not disappoint. This is getting complicated in a fun way.
You'd optimally use resistance flask, as they're 10% base max res , and can charge faster without the downfalls of unique flasks.
CoC freezepulse cyclone is what i whould have made of it :)
Set sail for epic fail

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info