Would it be too late for GGG to introduce paid expansion for Act 4

Why not gate content accessibility by RNG? Some days you'll be able to log into Act4, some not.

E:
Serious answer to OP - such action would decimate the playerbase. Even enthusiasts who contribute monetarily and would like the game to grow, would be turned away.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Feb 28, 2015, 8:26:07 AM
Im poor, I dont like this idea lol
I dont see any any key!
"
It still bothers me that GGG haven't been a bit more ruthless though. Aside for the paid name change thing I mentioned before (100% cosmetic), they could do things like voluntary subscriptions for forum bling, pets, discounts on other mtxes...it's perfectly ethical to reward good and loyal customers provided it doesn't give them any unfair advantages, which none of this would.

They could also charge for the ability to have more than one pet out at at a time.

Another paid feature that would be awesome is the ability to turn any item into a permanent mtx skin. This would not be cheap, but it would be a step up from the 'transfer' mtx, which is designed to be disposable and inexpensive. I presume there'd be some way of returning the item to 'item' status. I'm sure they could figure it out. They're smart cookies.

Lastly, and this list is hardly exhaustive, they could charge a small fee for us to rename our hideouts on Standard (not sure how it'd work on temp leagues). I'd much rather call my little corner 'The First Zoo of Wræclast' than just another 'Lush Hideout'.

The fact that GGG have not done any of these (name changes are even a free service) speaks to their ethical rigidity...or maybe they're less interested in 'just making money' than some people might seem to think.

I'd love a subscription system for this game. I was actually thinking about it the other day - Maybe two in-game items a month exclusively given for that month (They'd be permanent, but one-time-only), or something. Just small things, nothing big. Or a monthly allotment of points, or something.

As for the sudden pricing to play Path of Exile.. no. Would I pay for it? Yes. Would I continue to give them money as I have been lately now that I have steady cash flow to depend on? No. This game, to me, is an anomaly. It's a high production indie title that's completely free to play while being someone's first attempt at a game - and that, to me, is amazing.

Slapping a price onto it this late in the game would be a crappy move, in my opinion, however.
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
Easy to say, that it's good idea, if you live in rich country or your parents pay for everything.

Also, read the first paragraph here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

Why can't you just buy more cosmetics if you feel like supporting GGG with your money?
Last edited by osesek on Feb 28, 2015, 11:22:59 AM
Too late? No.

Too stupid? Yep.
"
k1rage wrote:
Im poor, I dont like this idea lol

Dont worry, the OP will pay for us all.^^
"
free_at_last wrote:

I didn´t wrote i disagree to f2p in the way GGG does it.
I just wouldn´t define it as "ethical". Because it´s a business. Nothing more.

But i really don´t need a discussion about ethical standards. It would lead to nothing.

You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make it right. I think you are just forgetting about context of the word within all F2P games. Ethical, used in this sense is MTX that do not give you better weapon, armor or move speed upgrades than someone who doesn't pay. Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO could also be considered to have ethical F2P models because all the MTX are cosmetic only and don't upgrade the weapons to make a paying player stronger than a non-paying player. Both in TF2 and POE the only MTX that could be considered to give any advantage would be extra stash space.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Feb 28, 2015, 12:53:00 PM
"
XigTek wrote:

I'd love a subscription system for this game. I was actually thinking about it the other day - Maybe two in-game items a month exclusively given for that month (They'd be permanent, but one-time-only), or something. Just small things, nothing big. Or a monthly allotment of points, or something.

As long as I understood your meaning correctly, your idea of a subscription model is really good in my opinion. GGG could make a few MTX, one-time only, with a set price, say $15-20, and have a timeline when new one-time only MTX will come out. It could be monthly, every other month, quarterly, or twice a month like you said, whatever GGG thought was good. Anyone who wanted the one-time only MTXs could pay the $15-20 and that would be sort of like a subscription fee every month or every other month. I think this idea is much better than my original idea of going to standard pay2play model. There would be a very large incentive to buy the MTXs because they are one-tome only and rare. But also, if you didn't want to buy them, or couldn't afford them for a time, then no harm, you just lose out on those one-time MTX.

The only real problem I see from this idea is a certain subset of whiny players complaining all the time to GGG about bringing back certain MTX they missed out on, which totally defeats the purpose of one-time only.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Feb 28, 2015, 1:08:15 PM
I dont quite get the point? Is GGG in some financial trouble? Last i heard they were doing rather well. (and i think i am not alone when i say that i spent more money on poe than buying a full game would cost)
"
Cataca wrote:
I dont quite get the point? Is GGG in some financial trouble? Last i heard they were doing rather well. (and i think i am not alone when i say that i spent more money on poe than buying a full game would cost)

Nope. GGG are fine...don't know why the OP was thinking that charging people for act 4 would be a good idea, theink they would loose far more than they gain...then you need to take into account the hassel that support would be put through becuase people "purchased" the game and assume rights for things.

Or maybe he thinks that by having a fee that it would clear out the scum(hacks/bots/RMT/spam etc)....which it dosen't as demonstrated by ESO most recently.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info