Would it be too late for GGG to introduce paid expansion for Act 4

Lately, I really been thinking about what would happen if GGG made Act 4 a paid expansion, basically without a way to opt-out of paying for the expansion besides not playing anymore.

I began playing POE one year ago, I happened to be searching for an MMO and asked some people on reddit if GW2 was worth buying. Someone happened to mention that I should try out POE cause it was the best MMO out there. Of course the person referring me to POE didn't realize than POE isn't a MMO, but rather an ARPG, but that wasn't a problem because I also didn't understand the difference at that time.

After being referred to POE, I decided to check out some youtube videos of gameplay to determine if I should download the game where I found some old Kripp videos from when he played POE. He made the game look very fun with tons of depth which I was looking for. The intricate skill tree and the gems really caught my attention.

Once I began playing the game, I immediately fell in love with it. At the time I only played HC league and was deleting my characters after they died. I died so much, it took me well over 10 times to even figure out how to beat Merveil, but I was having so much fun, learning what I could. I still remember how happy and excited I was beating Merveil for the first time and going into a brand new area with new monsters and background. I didn't want to even stop playing, and stayed up all night quite a few times.

Eventually I began looking for a guild and found one. The guys I met in guild mentioned I should play in a SC league while I'm still learning the game and just have fun learning so I don't have to worry about losing my characters. That was some of the best advice I could've had at the time, because I imagine if I had just continued in HC leagues while dieing as often as I was, burnout would've occurred sooner or later. Even now, to this day I prefer SC leagues, but I play all leagues.

POE has been a game that I have played more than any other game, with over 2,000 hours according to Steam, and I've never gotten tired of it. I can always create a new goal or make a build I've never done and recreate my experience. I've also spent money on different MTX, arcane armor, tentacle wings, a few pets, and lots of stash tabs.

For me, if GGG said, as of Act 4, POE is no longer F2P, everyone will have to pay this price if they want to continue playing the game; I wouldn't even think twice, and would immediately pay for the game. I've put so much time and investment into the game and I genuinely have fun playing the game I would have no problem if GGG decided to no longer be F2P with POE. I believe there would be a lot of other players just like me as well who would quickly buy the game and continue to enjoy it.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Feb 27, 2015, 8:29:43 PM
I'd pay, but I'd be a bit upset at the change of stance.

There is a far greater opportunity for revenue generation through the implementation of paid leagues, or supporter only leagues etc. I feel.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Very bad idea. Paying for content will segment the community which is pretty much against the whole point of free to play.
"
Too late. Far too late.

We've given them SO many ideas and suggestions for more monetisation of PoE -- name changes, for example, should totally be monetised! -- and they're just sticking to mtxes and deals with distributors/publishers.

If Chris says 'free to play is awesome', and he does, then that's the end of that discussion.

Was it you that suggested a Sub-forum that only allowed participation if you purchased a token from the MTX store? I really liked that idea.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
they dont want to, its not a case of could they do it, they just wouldnt because they believe in free to play.
no but I'd pay for an offline version
"
Not me. I was against any sort of paid vs not-paid forum segregation for the longest time.

I'm a bitter old fuck compared to that, and reckon GGG should just split free from paid COMPLETELY. Wouldn't be breaking their 'free to play, 100% content' deal. Just means paid folk don't have to put up with freeloaders bitching about a game they did nothing to support, and free players don't have to put up with snotheads like me. ^_^

Should have a subsubforum for which you not only have to pay a certain amount to access, but also need to pass an intelligence test.

Then a subsubsubforum where you have to meet both a payment, intelligence and aesthetics criteria.

This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
For me, if GGG said, as of Act 4, POE is no longer F2P, everyone will have to pay this price if they want to continue playing the game; I wouldn't even think twice, and would immediately pay for the game. I've put so much time and investment into the game and I genuinely have fun playing the game I would have no problem if GGG decided to no longer be F2P with POE. I believe there would be a lot of other players just like me as well who would quickly buy the game and continue to enjoy it.

You'd pay because you've already played the game and had a good time. What about all the people who haven't played POE before and will give it a try when they hear about act 4? How many of them do you think would be driven away by a price tag?

The theory behind the F2P model is that people who like and are invested in the game are more willing to spend money than those who have never tried it. They monetize specific features aimed at dedicated fans rather than charging to play, which lowers the barrier of entry and encourages new players to give it a try. Charging money to play may seem like a good idea, but would likely cost them dearly in the long run as new blood opts for more accessible alternatives.

If you love the game and want to support it, you're free to do so by buying some MTX. It's in everyone's best interests to keep the game accessible to new players though, so don't try and force the same level of commitment on them.
You don't understand GGG's model if you're suggesting that.

They are free to play with ethical microtransactions that have have funded the game quite well. I've spent more on this game than most. Making it pay would hurt the trust they've built up with the people who agree with the ethical microtransaction system and prevent themselves from ever building that trust with new people.
"
FunkyFritter wrote:

You'd pay because you've already played the game and had a good time. What about all the people who haven't played POE before and will give it a try when they hear about act 4? How many of them do you think would be driven away by a price tag?

While true that I would pay cause I've already played and have enjoyed the game. I don't think a standard pay model would drive so many people away as long as the game continues to be good and with enough funding gets better. New players will buy the game if it is a good product.

IMO, giving the game a price at this Act 4 expansion wouldn't be terrible. Lots of anticipation already exists for the expansion, that wouldn't disappear just because everyone had to buy the game. If the expansion turns out to be totally amazing, lots of new players will be attracted, and many will be willing to pay due to good quality and hype.

It costs $30 for an armor set or some wings for the game, while an entire new act is free. That makes me feel bad in a way, that I'm somehow getting a better deal than I should be. I really love the game and would be willing to pay for it if I had to.

That said, if the game stays with the F2P model, it is highly likely I'll buy my first supporter pack instead of random MTXs, to support GGG in that way. I just feel that my support is so small, almost meaningless, cause I'm just one person trying to support in whatever way I can. But with a pay model, everyone would be giving money just to play the game, including MTX sales, so more money could be generated I believe.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Feb 27, 2015, 11:01:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info