Player Specific Audio Prioritization

How much progress has been made on this feature where audio that is relevant to the person playing the game is prioritized over other sounds (To better make use of the limited 32 audio channels)?
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 24, 2015, 11:52:54 PM
We've done a bit on this, unfortunately not the extent of my original plans though.

So firstly we updated the range of priorities from low-medium-high to a scale from 1 - 20, this helps further differentiate what sounds you hear. Sounds happening out of your view range now have significantly decreased priority. (I think by 50%, I would have to ask a programmer). I think there was one more change we made something to do with sounds from party member player models, this work was done almost a year ago so it's hard to figure out what was done exactly without a programmer here.

The reason that we couldn't have the system implemented like you describe is that the game has no concept of ownership when it comes to effects. So most spells and attacks can't be assigned a different priority dependent on their source. I'm fairly sure there was a way we could have done It (again this is almost a year ago now) but It was deemed to have to many downsides.

The audio guy.
I'd have responded sooner but there really isn't much more for me to say on the topic other than maybe consider discussing it all with the other developers again after the expansion is released.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 1, 2015, 5:05:38 PM
Aha! Now that the expansion is practically ready/about to launch, you'll presumably soon have free time to relax, first, then work on this! >: )

(Or an option to increase audio channels to 64-256)
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jul 10, 2015, 12:46:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info