Arcers - How do you guys deal with single target?

Hey guys,

I have a lvl 86 'winter' arc witch (the build thread) running around in torment league.

She does really well farming things and clearing mobs as well as decent cc thanks to the freezing mechanic.

What I have problem with is, however, single targets. Those necromancers with high lightning resists, bosses, etc totally soak up a minute of my time zapping them until I wither them out.

How do you guys handle such situation? I want to be able to run Atziri in the near future but this obstacle might prevent me from ever doing so.

Here's my gear in case those need any improvements either:

Current Gears

I appreciate any comments or advice!
Thank you,
I use vaal lightning storm, conc effect, lightning penetraion. It helps initially but isn't sustainable the whole boss fight obviously.

If you have enough general elemental damage increase:
Ice Spear
Increased Critical Damage
Added Cold
Faster Casting or Penetration

... or in a weapon swap:

+2|3 Cold weapon
Ice Spear
Increased Critical Damage
Faster Casting or Penetration

... or if you're feeling brave

+2|3 Lightning weapon
Spark
Added Lightning Damage
Echo

You could also have a +5 skill searing bond ring to stack w/ the spear or spark...

Or offhand it paired with the spark/spear dagger, +2|3 fire weapon, searing bond, increased burning, empower or similar.

Getting kinda pricy and complicated (e.g. ring swap or not having lightning warp on your offhand swap) at that point though.
If only there was a gem that lowered enemies' light resistance making you do more then twice the damage to all those really resistant mobs and bosses...

...like Lightning Penetration!

BAM! Solved! Now shower me with money and girls, pls.

Also: You have no crit multi on gear, which is a mistake, and combined with the lack of ICD gem it is no wonder your damage is low. Not sure how necessary the Atziri's Foible is for your mana regen, but I would suggest getting the mana regen elsewhere (on a ring, or getting higher ES gear) and for your amulet instead focus on crit chance, crit multi and spell damage. Futhermore, Doryani's Catalyst is a good starting weapon but if you really lack in damage, there are better options like rare wands with spell dmg, cast speed, spell crit and crit multi.

Mainly it is the lack of Light Pen that is holding you down, though. Not really sure why you would use Added Lightning instead, when Light Pen is vastly superior in every possible situation.
"
Cabesi wrote:
If only there was a gem that lowered enemies' light resistance making you do more then twice the damage to all those really resistant mobs and bosses...

Also: You have no crit multi on gear, which is a mistake, and combined with the lack of ICD gem it is no wonder your damage is low. Not sure how necessary the Atziri's Foible is for your mana regen, but I would suggest getting the mana regen elsewhere (on a ring, or getting higher ES gear) and for your amulet instead focus on crit chance, crit multi and spell damage. Futhermore, Doryani's Catalyst is a good starting weapon but if you really lack in damage, there are better options like rare wands with spell dmg, cast speed, spell crit and crit multi.

Mainly it is the lack of Light Pen that is holding you down, though. Not really sure why you would use Added Lightning instead, when Light Pen is vastly superior in every possible situation.

Ah... oops, It's currently showing my low level map farming gem. I usually do replace Item Rarity gem with a Lightning Penetration gem. It does boost my damage significantly, but I don't use it very often cuz the mana cost multiplier overlaps my mana regeneration and makes me chug mana pots. I bought the Foible to hopefully counter this, but it turned out to be an ineffective band-aid.

And for the rest of the gear, here's where things get kinda complicated:
- I honestly dont think I can find a better wand than the catalysts without selling my kidneys. 2~3 exalts per weapon is probably as high as I can go.
- I want to move away from foible as well, and get better rings and amulets but I'm not sure where to start. With voidbringers, the mana cost of arc is insane and I'll have to depend on mana pots to sustain my attacks...

My gear currently feels like a giant jenga tower. If I remove or attempt to replace one of them, everything falls apart. It's quite frustrating really.

Do you have voidbringers? How do you sustain your mana with lightning pen. + other support gems?
"
Grandarex wrote:
"
Cabesi wrote:

Ah... oops, It's currently showing my low level map farming gem. I usually do replace Item Rarity gem with a Lightning Penetration gem. It does boost my damage significantly, but I don't use it very often cuz the mana cost multiplier overlaps my mana regeneration and makes me chug mana pots. I bought the Foible to hopefully counter this, but it turned out to be an ineffective band-aid.

And for the rest of the gear, here's where things get kinda complicated:
- I honestly dont think I can find a better wand than the catalysts without selling my kidneys. 2~3 exalts per weapon is probably as high as I can go.
- I want to move away from foible as well, and get better rings and amulets but I'm not sure where to start. With voidbringers, the mana cost of arc is insane and I'll have to depend on mana pots to sustain my attacks...

My gear currently feels like a giant jenga tower. If I remove or attempt to replace one of them, everything falls apart. It's quite frustrating really.

Do you have voidbringers? How do you sustain your mana with lightning pen. + other support gems?

Ah, well, I don't know why you would use Voidbringers instead of Maligaro's on a life build. They give you almost exactly the same damage. Of course you get more inconsistency, which is a bit annoying, but seeing all the trouble you get into just because of the mana cost I would think it should be a good trade off. I am not sure what your tree is but I bet you are missing a lot of dex as well, Maligaro's help with that too.

So yeah, if I were you, I would:

1. Switch to Maligaro's
2. Get dps+life amulet
3. Use Light Pen instead of Added Light

Should solve all your problems :-).
"
Cabesi wrote:
Ah, well, I don't know why you would use Voidbringers instead of Maligaro's on a life build. They give you almost exactly the same damage. Of course you get more inconsistency, which is a bit annoying, but seeing all the trouble you get into just because of the mana cost I would think it should be a good trade off. I am not sure what your tree is but I bet you are missing a lot of dex as well, Maligaro's help with that too.

So yeah, if I were you, I would:

1. Switch to Maligaro's
2. Get dps+life amulet
3. Use Light Pen instead of Added Light

Should solve all your problems :-).

Haha, that sounds doable. I'm actually working my way towards the mali glove reward in the race season. (albeit very slowly)

Maybe I'll end up putting it to good use.

Thank you for the advice!

Also, quick question: How much crit chance and multiplier am I shooting for with arc? I'd like to have a goal in mind when looking for gears to buy..
Last edited by Grandarex on Feb 24, 2015, 10:38:59 PM
"
Grandarex wrote:

Thank you for the advice!

No problem.

"
Grandarex wrote:

Also, quick question: How much crit chance and multiplier am I shooting for with arc? I'd like to have a goal in mind when looking for gears to buy..

Who knows. Just get the most you can until you start hurting yourself on reflect too much.
thats basically the tradeoff you are going to make using 3d.
i personally dislike giving away 50% more damage for freezing,
because with herald of ice + my cwdt setup (lvl 20/20 cold snap ele
prolif cold pen) i'm freezing more than enough.

except doing what the other guys wrote already, there's not too much to
add except get good gear and maybe a 21 arc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info