Self Immolation? (Scold's Bridle+Cloak of Flame+Mokou's Embrace)

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Norky wrote:
Cloak of Flame's mitigation is pretty reasonable with Arctic Armour given that it 'double dips' both fire and physical reduction.
Doesn't apply here. We need to take at least 1 Fire damage from Scold's for this combo to work, which means we can't level Arctic Armour effectively.

You can use arctic armor to avoid having to use elreon jewelry: you keep arctic armor at a level which allows the minimum fire damage through based on your mana cost. This means the higher you make your mana cost the higher you can level your arctic armor and thus the more damage it will mitigate.

Interesting thought: will scold's effect work on a spell with a Blood Magic gem? That could be a good way of increasing your "mana cost" to very high levels (while leaving you all your mana regen to counter the Arctic Armor drain.) In this way, you could have one skill you use to trigger the Scold's effect (Let's say Lighting Warp, for its naturally high mana cost and the fact that you probably want to have it in your build anyway, if only for the utility) on which you slap Blood Magic to max out the mana cost. You use the lightning warp to deal yourself enough fire damage to bypass Arctic Armor (and to get quickly into/out of close range with an enemy) then you switch to your actual attack skill, let's say incinerate. Your arctic armor will TOTALLY mitigate the scold's damage from incinerate, but that's okay, you're already incinerated from casting your lightning warp.

Thoughts?
If anybody's still interested, I did some math (which I hope is correct) to determine exactly how much a spell would have to cost in order to deal yourself 1 point of fire damage based on level 20 Arctic Armour, 26% increased buff effect, and 75% fire resistance.

The answer appears to be 203, assuming my math is correct (if it isn't please let me know)

I did the math in this spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z29ze-xojEcnYDa6LO6Vj3XF1U06zmNAhKQYENM3psQ/edit?usp=sharing

Of course this also deals you a large amount of physical damage as well, though exactly how much will vary based on your armor, physical resistances, and so forth. It may be necessary to involve Immortal Call to mitigate this.
203 * 4 = 812 Physical Damage
812 * 0.2 = 162.4 Fire Damage
162.4 * 0.25 = 40.6 after Resist
40.6 - 202 = -161.4 after Arctic Armour

That's... not quite gonna cut it.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
203 * 4 = 812 Physical Damage
812 * 0.2 = 162.4 Fire Damage
162.4 * 0.25 = 40.6 after Resist
40.6 - 202 = -161.4 after Arctic Armour

That's... not quite gonna cut it.

Shoot, forgot to run the number through the 20% phys to fire, so my math was way off.

EDIT: So with the math corrected, looks like I've got a final mana score of 1015, which is problematic for a number of reasons.

Of course I suppose I could drop Arctic Armour before I cast my self-ignition spell, then bring it right back up again. Or Hell, I could just put my Arctic Armor on my Cast When Damage Taken chain, so it turns itself back on automatically. Of course Arctic Armor linked to CWDT can't be DISABLED either. I could put it on a weapon swap... hell, I could probably put my self-ignition spell on a weapon swap, why not, right? I really doubt ignition effects are subject to their anti-snapshot code.

I wonder if my increased burn duration modifiers will effect the ignition I apply to myself? Could my weapon swap feature weapons with increased burn duration modifiers? Is there such a weapon? Or shield? (EDIT 2: Nevermind, all the burn duration effects specify "enemies", so it looks like I'm stuck with 4 seconds)
Last edited by Damon_Tor on Feb 28, 2015, 6:55:06 PM
Posted this idea a while back (around when scolds got introduced):

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1148211

Maybe it gives you more ideas about some combos.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mannoth wrote:
Posted this idea a while back (around when scolds got introduced):

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1148211

Maybe it gives you more ideas about some combos.

Thanks for the link, some good ideas in there. I'm leveling a VMS now so it's ready once the league ends and I can get my Scold's into the real world. I play standard, with excursions into the outer realms only to obtain any league-only unique I feel like I can't live without. I don't much enjoy not having access to my accumulated wealth. That's why I'm spending so much time theory crafting this and not getting out there and actually testing/playing it.
Quick question about self igniting - Does your chance to ignite from gear/passives impact your chance to self immolate via Scold's + CoF or is it just the 25% from Mokou's?
"
I think someone can come up with a more direct way of igniting themselves.

But Grade A theorycrafting, OP. Nice one.

hint hint

IGN: @AmbushedByDongers
Shop and mirror service: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/984191
lvl 95 Physical Crit Bow Gear: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1073300
"
rockdog2161 wrote:
Quick question about self igniting - Does your chance to ignite from gear/passives impact your chance to self immolate via Scold's + CoF or is it just the 25% from Mokou's?

Just mokou's
I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
"
"
rockdog2161 wrote:

Just mokou's

Thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info