[1.3/HC] Whaitiri's Detonator of the Dead - solo/selffound-viable DD Scion

Hi everyone, welcome to my Detonate Dead guide!

This is the build i'm currently enjoying in Bloodlines (Edit: RIP @ screenfreeze), and it's an alternative for people that like the brokenness of burn prolif, but want a more active gameplay or are simply bored of Flameblast.

It is optimized for solo-play in HC-leagues, but can be played in parties and/or SC aswell.

Pros
- HC-viable, 5k+ Life easily
- very active gameplay
- cheap, no uniques needed
- can be played completely selffound
- works with a 4L
- strong solo, not useless in parties either
- can run all map-mods
- reflect-friendly
- you can corpse-explode the corpse of the boss before she can

Cons
- somewhat slower than Flameblast
- burn prolif is straight up broken
- vulnerable to high physical burst damage
- requires your full attention while playing

--------------------------------------------------------

1. Passive Tree

2. Bandit Rewards

Kill All/Help Oak*
Kill All
Help Oak

*Skip a 5% Life Node if you help Oak

3. Gems

Detonate Dead - Ele Prolif - Conc Effect - Fire Pen - Chance to Ignite/Inc Burn Dmg
Desecrate - Faster Casting - Spell Echo
Arc - Curse on Hit - Warlord's Mark - Flammability
Reduced Mana - Purity of Fire - Clarity - Haste
CwDt (Lv9) - Endu Cry (Lv10) - Immo Call (Lv9) - Inc Duration
CwDt (Lv4) - Enfeeble (Lv7) - Frost Wall

Detailed Gem Breakdown

Main Skill: Our source of damage, DD ignites the enemy which then proliferates burn to ideally clear the whole screen. In a 6L, add Inc AoE for packs and Spell Echo for bosses as switch.
Use Chance to Ignite until you have most Ignite nodes in the tree and a 20% Inc Burn Dmg.

Utility Skill: Detonate Dead needs corpses to explode, Desecrate is a good way to get said corpses. It creates three corpses and has a limit of three uses with a 5s cooldown.
Spell Echo doubles the corpses per use without taking up an additional use, which is helpful for tougher single targets.

Curses: Flammability helps with burning things down, Warlord's Mark gives us helpful leech and Endurance Charges. Arc + Curse on Hit is a good way to apply two curses at once.
Level Arc to gain more chains for better curse spread, and a realistic chance to shock some enemies.

Auras: Purity of Fire helps with sustaining reflect better, Clarity to freely spam our skills.
To run Haste you'll need EB and most mana nodes, for some helpful cast and movement speed.

Survivability: Basic CwDt-chain to sustain physical burst damage. Keep it at the shown levels, Increased Duration can be leveled to 20.

Utility 2: Enfeeble + a low level CwDt to automatically keep stuff enfeebled. Frost Wall is a good way to block dangerous enemies away for long enough to kill them with Desecrate + DD.
Level Frost Wall past the CwDt level limit, so that you can selfcast it when needed.

4. Equipment

Mainly focus on getting Life and Resistances, i also recommend Armour base items to gain some basic physical mitigation.

About 300 ES is needed to run all three auras with EB and no Reduced Reservation nodes,
63 Dexterity is needed if you wanna level Haste to 20.

This build scales well with certain uniques, but none of them are needed to run the build.

Detailed Gear Breakdown

Weapon: A sceptre with fire damage% and cast speed and ideally, 20% elemental damage implicit is all you need. Detonate Dead does not scale with spell damage, so don't waste your currency on that.
Uniques: Doon Cuebiyari is a great, affordable sceptre for burn builds and beats a perfect rare once you reach above 320 strength, which is easy with this build.
Doryani's Catalyst would be the best choice for burning, but it's quite expensive in temp HC leagues.

Offhand: Either use a second sceptre for more DPS, or a shield with life and resistances.
Uniques: Saffell's Frame helps tanking reflect and gives overall good elemental mitigation.
Its roll doesn't matter, as neither of the variables affect this build.

Chest: I recommend an Armour + ES hybrid base for easier chroming.
Uniques: Carcass Jack is a good allrounder for this build and my recommendation.
At a bigger budget, you could also use Kaom's Heart and put DD in a Rime Gaze.

Helmet: Nothing fancy, life + resistances.
Uniques: Rime Gaze is a cheap way to get a 5L DD setup, or if you want to use Kaom's Heart.

Gloves: Again, look out for life + resistances. You can use a corrupted pair with Elemental Weakness on Hit for triple curse, but that requires a +1 Curse item + Whispers of Doom,
or two +1 Curse items.
Uniques: None that i can think of.

Boots: 20%+ movement speed with life and resistances is all you need here.
Uniques: Windscream are a solid choice, giving +1 Curse and some damage.

Belt: You knew it already - life + resistances. AoE corruption would top things off.
Uniques: A fire Doryani's Invitation works in SC, but i'd recommend a rare belt in HC.

Rings: What you need is, surprise, life and resistances. Any mana-related roll, fire damage % or cast speed and you got a great ring for this build.
Uniques: Doedre's Damning for +1 Curse and some resistances.

Amulet: The same stats as rings, preferably on a dexterity base. +1 Curse corruption would be great, if you can find one with solid stats.
Uniques: Rashkaldor's Patience is basically BiS for this build, all stats help us greatly.

Flasks: A Seething Divine for quick heal, a Catalysed Eternal to counter DoT's. A Granite Flask helps sustaining incoming physical damage, Ruby Flask for reflect and Quicksilver Flask to physically dodge stuff better. I recommend atleast one Staunching, one Heat and one Warding.
Uniques: Taste of Hate is great to sustain physical bursts.

5. Leveling

I hate to say it but you have to level with Flameblast until Merciless, when DD starts to be good.
Equip a +1 Fire Gems sceptre with another sceptre in offhand, 1-2 Mokou's Embrace and an Elreon amulet and you're good to go.

Passive Tree Progression:
(Note: This is assuming you have a +1 Curse item)

20pts - 40pts - 60pts - 80pts - 100pts

6. Gameplay

Warning: This is not a one-button-win build!

For the majority of content it's enough to cast Desecrate then blow up stuff with Detonate Dead.
Try to lure single enemies into proliferation radius, so you don't have to waste your limited Desecrate stock. Incase of single Avians/Gulls, wait until they stop down to consume a corpse, then blow it up right in their face.

In maps with heavy physical hitters or generally high life targets, it's also recommendable to apply curses between Desecrate and DD. This will burn down enemies faster and grant you physical mitigation through Endurance Charges, incase some enemies ninja you.
Together with your Granite Flask, this will keep you alive versus physical damage.

You can use Frost Wall to avoid some ranged enemies, or to block enemies behind doors or in narrow passages until you casted Desecrate + DD to kill them.

Reflect is no problem, for smaller packs you mostly don't even need your flask. If you aren't confident to blow up the reflect pack, try to aim at a single enemy at the edge and let proliferation do the rest.

This build can run all mapmods, but a few will require some special attention:
Mapmods
Elemental Reflect: Like mentioned above, ignite smaller packs and let proliferation do the job if you are paranoid, else just use your flask.

+x Fire Resistance: I recommend to curse each pack for faster burns.

Immune to Curses: Needless to say, don't waste your time applying curses here.

Elemental Equilibrium: Cast your Arc before and after using DD, this will trigger EE towards lightning damage.

-max Resistances: Watch out for reflect and use Frost Wall a bit more often to avoid damage.

Blood Magic: You'll lose all auras here. Apply curses on all packs to leech back your skill cost.

50% Regen: Apply curses and you're good.

No Regen: Disable Clarity and apply curses. Try to lure curse immune enemies into proliferation.

Bloodline Mods
For all unlisted ones applies: keep range and kill them.

Bearers of the Guardian: The guardian is quite weak. Pop your Granite Flask, curse him and he ain't a problem.

Corrupted Bloodline: Pop your Staunching Flask, then blow up the pack.

Flame/Frost/Storm Bearers: Try not to stand in the trap thingy radius while they explode.

Heralds of the Obelisk: These are quite annoying. Try to blow up the whole pack at once, else keep distance to the totems.

Legacy of Vigor/Zeal//Shared Boon: No threat unless on dischargers. If you're lucky to get that combination, run until they discharged all charges then kill.

Living Blood: Prepare Desecrate before he spawns, curse him then blow him up. Goes down pretty quick usually.

Mark of the Cannibal/Necrovigil: Just blow up corpses so the pack doesn't gain advantage from this mod.

Otherworldly: This is what you should have positive chaos resistance for. In most cases blockable with Frost Wall, until their buff runs out. Incase of devourers, speed off with your Quicksilver Flask and hope for the best, or skip the map.

Phylacteral Link: I never thought there could be something more annoying than avians/gulls, but here it is. Keep cursing them then blow up one by one.

Voidspawn of Abaxoth:
Bameth: Quite easy, his zombies help proliferating. Avoid his DD and Desecrate and he's no threat.
Ephij: Keep range and check where he's warping at. Cast Desecrate at that point then blow him up.
Tzteosh: Can't be ignited, so you have to kill him with pure detonation damage or lure him into proliferating burn. His damage shouldn't be much of a problem with our amount of fire res.
Haast: His Glacial Cascade can be quite dangerous. Frost Wall + keeping range helps.
Na'em: He got lots of physical burst damage, on both Leap Slam and his red projectiles. But he also spawns lots of skeletons to proliferate from. Usually not worth the risk, but it's your choice.
Abaxoth: I didn't face him yet, but basically the same applies as with Na'em. His elemental damage should be tankable.

7. Videos

Gorge - Beyond, EE, +Life & 3 other mods

Thanks for reading my guide. Post questions and concerns in comments.
twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Mar 4, 2015, 2:26:51 PM
Bump for detailed guide, well written :)
WomanOfExcessiveCrits - 97 Scion Spectral Throw CoC
ManOfManyCrits - 95 Shadow Life Based Phys Crit ST
WomanOfSubstantialCrits - 95 Scion Explosive Arrow MF
WomanOfSuperflousCrits - 90 Scion Lowlife Spectral Throw
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1100222
really nice build, i didnt notice until now that DD now has flat dmg+% dmg
will be my new char for next season, lets see what changes are incoming ^^
Why would anyone do this when they can just flameblast? Is Doon a good legendary? This build probably can't even do Atziri.

Spoiler
jk. It looks like an interesting build. Especially the part where Doon gets some love.
Last edited by karsey on Feb 25, 2015, 4:06:51 AM
I like it overall,what about  The Supreme Truth, Crystal Sceptre?When EB - why not Arctic armor?Also no sovereignity or innerforce?
Last edited by Desperation on Feb 25, 2015, 6:43:49 AM
Haha thanks guys!

"
Desperation wrote:
I like it overall,what about  The Supreme Truth, Crystal Sceptre?When EB - why not Arctic armor?Also no sovereignity or innerforce?

Supreme Truth is totally fine. I kinda dislike the fact that it has no cast speed, but else it's a perfectly viable solution.

I tested around a bit between several combinations of mana nodes, reduced reservation nodes and EB, and the current solution was the most point efficient while having enough unreserved mana - and even more important - mana regen to spam our skills.

Inner Force is a route you can go, together with Devotion it should give another 1% max Fire Res, but i personally chose more life nodes for HC as it helps against all kinds of damage.

AA unfortunately doesn't work at a high enough level to be worth it, since we don't invest into much mana regen. But if you find space on your gear, you could run a low level 20% AA for the ms.
twitch.tv/enki91
One last question.I had detonator witch on Ambush league and i use Rise of the Phoenix for shield.Fits fine for this build of yours,i saw u recomend saffels instead.
"
Desperation wrote:
One last question.I had detonator witch on Ambush league and i use Rise of the Phoenix for shield.Fits fine for this build of yours,i saw u recomend saffels instead.

RotP would put us at 100% fire res with flask, saffels at 97%. So far i didn't feel the additional 4% fire res is needed, but the 4% max lightning/cold from saffels help a bunch in sustaining heavy hitters like haast.
twitch.tv/enki91
Agree,u have the point as well,ty for fast answer :)
Added a quick video.
twitch.tv/enki91

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info