[1.3] KNIVES FROM HELL ! HUGE LIFE - MASSIVE REGENERATION - ENOURMOUS STRENGTH !

Vadler's answer
"
Vadler wrote:
By the way, this setup can work with any spell, I'm considering to play it with Glacial Cascade instead of EK once I get it going, since it scales of AoE very well, just as Righteous Fire. I actually have another project before that but oh well, it'll be done in time. So it's very flexible if you think EK isn't that great of a spell for party playing.
Freezing Pulse, etc... Anything that has a good scaling of spell damage (aka not Arc for example) will do the work just great !

By the way, for your mana : go for some mana/mana regen on gear and take a low lvl Clarity with Purity of Fire and Hatred if you want, it will do the work with some reduced mana costs. My ES RF Arcer Witch runs a lvl 3 Clarity along with Discipline, PoF and Vitality and has around 66 mana regen/s (and it goes up very fast with lvls of Clarity), which is enough to spam as I want ^^

That what I understand from replies : this setup works with a lot of spells !

You're testimony is intersting and gives me idea..

For my RP side, Ethereal knives is perfect, i love the effect of the skill !

I got some questions for you Sir (and thanks to you) so keep goin'

First question : the curse

I saw in a lot of post that the curse "Projectile Weakness" is a beast with EK, and I love the pierce concept.

I had an idea : double curses Vulnerability and Projectile Weakness thanks to a gear that doesn't require so much things (res cap/ life/ strength).

In order to do so, I need to proc curses a lot : it means no more HoT + Curse on hit, but an other way to curse monsters.

I think I'll go Ball lightning + Curse on hit : i got cast speed, and it is very efficient !

Ball Lightning + Curse on hit + Vulnerability + Projectile Weakness

There is an other good thing in this choice : one aura slot ! It should be EXTREMELY good for Vitality or Hatred to get an other DPS buff. I could even go Hatred for maps and Vitality for bosses.

What do you think of this option ?

Second question : full strength on gear ?

Should I go full strength on gear with

Doon Cuebayari

Black Sun Crest

Astramentis

Alberon's Warpath

Doryani's Belt : physical variant

Meginord's Vise

It seems a lot..and I'm pretty lost in this case : which part of the "unique gear" is more important than an other ?

I like to be sure, even before start this character.
Last edited by Justice_ on Feb 11, 2015, 12:36:48 PM
BUMP !

And a third question

About the single target DPS, what should I change in the gems / auras ?

I know that EK isn't that good as a single target skill but how can I improve it then ?
First question :
You can sure go for a double curse but considering the number of uniques this builds has to use to synergize around high strength, it will be even harder to cap resistances with a Doedre's Damning lying around in the stuff. However you can experiment of course, only practice will show you what you really like and what is really effective for you.

Second question :
It's really a choice ; I think going full strength with the addition of another unique increasing strength by a percentage could be really good, since it will allow you to get a MASSIVE health pool even without a Belly or a Kaom's.
See Mors' Iron Will Freezing Pulse guide for that (a bit outdated but still interesting) : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/611675

In the end, it's still all about testing and seeing what you like and what you don't like. Astramentis is pretty much necessary for this builds though (and it's the most expensive unique also).

Third question :
Not sure about EK's DPS, you could check out other guides about it but mostly it is scaled through some physical damage (but we have MASSIVE spell damage and the ~60% MORE spell damage from RF) and then Hatred + Added Fire and some other things. The DPS should be good though, I think, we get soooo much damage from Iron Will, Doon Cuebiyari and Righteous Fire that it won't be that much of a problem I would say.
"
Vadler wrote:
First question :
You can sure go for a double curse but considering the number of uniques this builds has to use to synergize around high strength, it will be even harder to cap resistances with a Doedre's Damning lying around in the stuff. However you can experiment of course, only practice will show you what you really like and what is really effective for you.

Second question :
It's really a choice ; I think going full strength with the addition of another unique increasing strength by a percentage could be really good, since it will allow you to get a MASSIVE health pool even without a Belly or a Kaom's.
See Mors' Iron Will Freezing Pulse guide for that (a bit outdated but still interesting) : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/611675

In the end, it's still all about testing and seeing what you like and what you don't like. Astramentis is pretty much necessary for this builds though (and it's the most expensive unique also).

Third question :
Not sure about EK's DPS, you could check out other guides about it but mostly it is scaled through some physical damage (but we have MASSIVE spell damage and the ~60% MORE spell damage from RF) and then Hatred + Added Fire and some other things. The DPS should be good though, I think, we get soooo much damage from Iron Will, Doon Cuebiyari and Righteous Fire that it won't be that much of a problem I would say.

First, I want to say a huge thanks to you !

Sentimental time

I played GW during 7 years and I loved built builds, original and funny ones.

When GW began to be.."too old" I wanted to play in PoE, which is absolutely awesome for building too !

But PoE's community is a little bit also "old" and don't like kind of "new casual player that don't want to do that DUMB dual flame totem's build for beginners..

Your answers push me to try out this build, i'll have a new PC in few days and I will finally level up my lvl 5x Maraudeur !

1st&2nd answer : I think that they're is three ways to do this build

=> The "post" way : Clarity, no Blood Magic, high life/regen

=> The Hatred way : Blood Magic on EK, no Clarity and HoI + Hatred

=> The dual curse way : that could be done with the post way..but how about the elem res cap ?

Finally, I came out with a question : how many rares do I need, with an "ok budget" to get res cap with +33% elemental res and +8% fire res ?

3rd answer : Ok ! Perfect !
Capping res will be quite easy if you go for a rare chest, you can easily get more than 40% all resists if you have one with the 12% all res implicit mod and it's quite cheap as well
However, if you are quite new to PoE and don't have that much money, you should probably start out with a Righteous Fire + Iron Will build but not focus solely on strength right away because Astramentis is quite expensive (4 ex is actually quite a lot for a tight budget)
It will still be very viable though, I assure you !
"
Vadler wrote:
Capping res will be quite easy if you go for a rare chest, you can easily get more than 40% all resists if you have one with the 12% all res implicit mod and it's quite cheap as well
However, if you are quite new to PoE and don't have that much money, you should probably start out with a Righteous Fire + Iron Will build but not focus solely on strength right away because Astramentis is quite expensive (4 ex is actually quite a lot for a tight budget)
It will still be very viable though, I assure you !

The only body armor's unique that fits with my build is the Belly of the beast : some elemental res (15%) and 40% increased maximum life and 150-200% increased armour.

It will bring to a "10K life character" with an enormous armour (thanks to passive / Black Sun Crest / Belly of the Beast).

I know that armour isn't important in this game, but having 60-70% reduced damage mitigation couldn't be bad, couple with a huge pool of life.

Yet, I think I'll go for a rare chest with a lot of strength, res and life.

A 6L Belly of the Beast with the best roll ever (200% increase armor, 40% increase life, 15% elem res) would be a good thing if I was rich enough aha.

Although, I think that a level 70 rare body armor with a lot of str/life/res would be much more better for a "very end game gear".

About my ex, I already have 1 ex and around 30 chaos. I know it isn't that much, but I got a lot of uniques and a community to help me.
Astramentis is the most expensive peace of my gear, but I can found one around 3 ex (with near +100 attributes).

Last edited by Justice_ on Feb 15, 2015, 7:41:33 AM
When people say "Armor is shit", what they really mean is that if you do the maths, as soon as you get into the late game, the % ESTIMATED physical damage reduction doesn't mean anything, because the hits are way too large.
Check out the formula on the wiki.

For example, let's say you have 15k armor, which is really huge.
If you take a 3000 physical damage in one hit (happens all the time in endgame maps), you will reduce :
(14,000)/(14,000+12*3,000) = ~0.294
So you negate 29,4% of the damage. That's around 882 physical damage. With an extremely high armor. That's why everyone thinks that armor doesn't do much lategame.

Talking about Belly of the Beast, seeing how much %life you get on the tree, the difference between a rare chest with high HP and a Belly isn't that big. With around 160% max life on my Marauder, the difference between those two is around a few hundred HPs. You'll get more than 200% life on your tree !
Spoiler

And as you can see, the rare chest has a ton of elemental resistances ; I bought it for 3 or 4 chaos unlinked I think.

As for the cost of your build, I'd say you should save up a bit more money, doing some dailies and maps and trading alts for jewellers with Elreon and then jewellers for fusings with Vorici and finally selling those fusings for exalts. But if you have people that are willing to help you and lend you some money, it will probably go just fine ^^
"
Vadler wrote:
When people say "Armor is shit", what they really mean is that if you do the maths, as soon as you get into the late game, the % ESTIMATED physical damage reduction doesn't mean anything, because the hits are way too large.
Check out the formula on the wiki.

For example, let's say you have 15k armor, which is really huge.
If you take a 3000 physical damage in one hit (happens all the time in endgame maps), you will reduce :
(14,000)/(14,000+12*3,000) = ~0.294
So you negate 29,4% of the damage. That's around 882 physical damage. With an extremely high armor. That's why everyone thinks that armor doesn't do much lategame.

Talking about Belly of the Beast, seeing how much %life you get on the tree, the difference between a rare chest with high HP and a Belly isn't that big. With around 160% max life on my Marauder, the difference between those two is around a few hundred HPs. You'll get more than 200% life on your tree !
Spoiler

And as you can see, the rare chest has a ton of elemental resistances ; I bought it for 3 or 4 chaos unlinked I think.

As for the cost of your build, I'd say you should save up a bit more money, doing some dailies and maps and trading alts for jewellers with Elreon and then jewellers for fusings with Vorici and finally selling those fusings for exalts. But if you have people that are willing to help you and lend you some money, it will probably go just fine ^^

Thanks a lot !

Ok, Belly isn't that good ! I prefer res cap with a rare chest (and rings/amulet) that %maximum life.

I got an other idea...I SWEAR IT'S THE LAST ONE !

Hatred/HoI variant

This character could have a lot of mana regen and maximum mana pretty easly (scion/templar area).

Clarity could be cut if I have enough mana and just a "mana leech" mod on gear (ring/amulet it's pretty easy).

Moreover, Hatred and HoI are a huge buff to this build.

=> Hatred : 36% of physical damage added as cold damage

=> HoI : one of the best way to "fastclear" mobs with shatter mecanic !

The problem is : "how to freeze mobs if you don't crit ?"

Answer : chance to freeze ! Easy to get 10% chance to freeze.

Passive would be : https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAQ8hPBHwOp1VboGjyBLOiAPAfwGaCm-FzGjiQVScv7Dg8LUz_r2zYvf4Ktz7Grk3j_o81kjrhplfyRTGeU6UMXxynKPqCx_noQYdTUkWdmuDr7pSg2mJodAhnkzq9Jxg8kNYhw_llV-GE2QHcvop4DalutfJlTb02R36-pwUteu907YTvYSHi6ifVJ-3E9v5UDc0rUBzOPQ_Pfq2N2WEZLoIH8kHSIVcNKS7xrF8_Gj58uFBH7w4UIMRY9khYYz38JNiFbdWBwJoJqtn81fjEuOpidcvtPJo71aZgS7FC8xFxhcAaCfbUfAYOV5Q=

=> Pros : You got more : mana regen (205%) and maximum mana (53%) / cast speed / spell damage / chance to freeze / life regen / elemental damage / 25% increased Damage against Frozen enemies

=> Cons : no more "endurance charge mechanic", less maximum life (20%)

Gems & links

Same 6L for EK : I don't like BM

Auras : Purity of Fire + Hatred + HoI + Reduced mana

Moving skills : Lightning wrap + Reduced duration + Faster casting

RF links : RF + Increase Area of effect + Increase burning damage + Empower/Enhance

Curse : Ball lightning + Curse on hit + Vulnerability + Projectile weakness

Tanky set up : CWDT + Immortal coil + Enduring cry

The main idea is to get a double curse set up couple with Auras that freeze mobs and shatter them quickly !

Against bosses, I can still curse the enemy (no more HoT - curse on hit) and change HoI -> Vitality.

The freeze mechs is really good with this build : they won't reach me and I could freeze bosses !

The "Projectile weakness" is fantastic to kill packs of mobs with EK by piercing them (60% chance). How to get +1 curse ? As I said, this build isn't gear dependent (without Doon and Rise of the Phoenix) so I could run Windscream or Corrupted Amulet (I saw a mana leech/+1 curse/ Cold and lightning res for 1 ex in PoeTrade).

What about the mana dude ? : if I start this build from Templar area, I can get 205% mana regen and 53% maximum mana. Couple with a mana leech, how can't it be mana sustainable ?
Last edited by Justice_ on Feb 15, 2015, 12:13:25 PM
Hey, also consider getting a quality Herald of Ash, which will add fire damage to your EK (and also boost RF damage slightly). I'm not too partial on getting Celestial Punishment (because burning via RF doesn't count as Ignite) even though you're getting it for the chance to freeze. For single target you could try Flame Surge + Echo + Conc Effect in the Doon (if you're holding lightning warp in there and don't want to recolour, swap out one of those gems for Fire Penetration/Life Leech) or good old Incinerate/Fireball to benefit from some of those projectile damage nodes.
I played a similar build this league and Clarity lv 10 + blood magic + reduced mana with the Unrelenting passives and Righteous decree was more than enough to sustain the mana cost.

I don't think mana leech on rings work on spells. Correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info