[1.3] Spider Charmer or Crit Pierce Self Cast Sparker (Updated March 2015)

New Look March 2015
Spoiler

Old Look
Spoiler

Hello exiles. As a fan of spork totem in the past and spark in general, I decided to build a spark character this league just for fun. Spark has a big potential for damage but it has many flaws and bugs that really hurt its gameplay and experience. In the future, I believe Spark has the potential to burst down any boss in the game in seconds if GGG really fix the interaction of the gem with Vaal Glacier Hammer.

The name of the build is inspired from the Alternate Spider Spark and the Spider Pet

Updated dual scepter version
Spoiler

- Synergy with Dart Art cluster for fast leap slam and high efficient cast speed bonus.
- Option to use Dory's Catalyst.

Pros
Spoiler

- Spider! Who doesn't love spider crawling around and tear your enemies to big piles of shocked pieces.
- Fun.
- Insta leech makes you persistent to ele reflect.
- Knockback from projectile weakness keeps enemies at bay.
- Quite high resistence and armour with flasks.
- High shotgun damamge.

Cons
Spoiler

- Buggy! If you cast your spark and dont realized that you are blocked with a door or a rock, there will be no spider > no leech > ded
- You gonna hate anything flies, namely skulls, freaking frogs and goats, animated weapons. You name it.
- Squishy. If you forget to flask up, you are a bug.
- Use multiple skills. You have to curse ball, flask, lightning warp, cast spark, run, loot, etc.
- Corrupted Blood. You cast so fast that you are going to have 20 charge of CB on you in a blink. This is however mitigated by your leech but still can bite you back if you don't dispell it after.

The idea
Spoiler

This build use the idea that spark can hit an enemy multiple times and thus priorities duration, pierce chance projectile speed and cast speed to maximize the chance of spark projectile hits.

Spark is one of the skills that benefit a lot from cast speed since the cast time is only 0.6 second compared to 0.8 second of arc, tendril and many other skills. This means investing in cast speed is a bit more efficient on spark according to the Cast Speed calculation.

The build aim to get (100% pierce chance)>70% pierce chance by either support gem or quality projectile weakness gem. Projectile weakness also multiplies your damage, making it very strong choice for spark. Projectile speed is achieved through dual wands, tree and faster projectile gems. NO LONGER NEEDED

Due to Spark's high cast speed and tendency to hit a target multiple times, Life leech and Vaal Pact is opted to get a very high leech rate (you leech from all 3 projectiles instead of 1 if you dont have VP). Another option would be Atziri's Acuity.

The build has decent crit chance and hit rate, thus making surgeon flasks a potent choice. With a good surgeon life flask and ruby flask, you can achieve 93% fire res and run RF on difficult bosses and still be able to sustain the burn.

EB is opted to fuel mana hungry Spark and get rid of ES so RF wont burn you too much. This also enable the use of high lvl AA.

AA is used but walking is limited since mana regen is only enough to cast spark. Lightning Warp is not too bad with half the duration nodes and it can be improved by movement speed to be efficient.. Leap slam is used as a movement skill in this build.

The Tree
Spoiler

I ran the build as a shadow but then feel witch a better choice since you have option to have the 25% mana reg node.

Node that Buff Effect have a high effect on Heralds/Purity(1% more max res)/AA/RF so you will want that in the end.

My current tree with Atziri's Acuity (March 2015)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXlxXn8Gtzs4w2VUth4iaVFr8DHh9BBiO1SPPqKgtwUonTcNVd8g5IEZZjQ3_GBx6io5UuwfMPxPDVgh47fElRj_oUsNsLuMrr9UwtwwlE-xEPuZM7436vrJjbXvIdiiiNGXRVOlhQMGQJ4BJfKlXGTLPZX66zRX7djEGWDlwFQtD1avosnBEtEFh8g3YRzfq4k-vuMtEo-prgRUeCx0WdwGb56Ax9U1IEs0GHEH-iALc-xp7hc_4KmjvyRdi97TyCmzrhNZLVpuw4ple18icvTeNuqpBVX5gaOFltzzI=

Tree used before Acuity
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXlxXn8Gtzs4w2VUth4iaVFr8DHh9BBiO1SPPqKgtwUonTcNVd8g5IEZZjQ3_GBx6io5UuwfMPxPDVgh47fElRj_oUsNsLuMrr9UwtwwlE-xEPuZM7436vrJjbXvIdiiiNGXRVOlhQMGQJ4BJfKlXGTLPZX66zRX7djEGWDlwFQtD1avosnBEtfIPN-riT6-4y0Sj6muBFR4LHRZ3AZvnoDH1TUgSzQYcQf6IAtz7GnuFz_gqaO_JF2L3tPIKbOuE1ktWm7DimV7XyJy9N426qqW6QVV-YKjgaOFltzzI=

Gear Choice
Spoiler

My current gear
Spoiler

Helm: a helm with res, good life and decent ES for EB. I recently messing around with a Leo crafted helm with high chance to avoid stun to deal with Atziri's Spear. I have two helm that can be swap to achive different curse if I am not using Windscream to dual curse.

Chest: a high ES is my choice in this case since it provides more mana => more mana reg and we dont have that much mana left for COD anyway. Coil is unusable since it does not have ES to feed us mana. I will test Lightning Coil when I arrive in Standard and acquire a high ES gear to drop the chest I am using. However, coloring Lightning Coil to a perfect setup will be almost impossibru.

Ammulet: Spell damage, Life, Crit Damage, Cast speed and Res is the combination you want to have. My ammy is a good example.

Boots: I opted for a pair of Windscream for the ability to dual curse and its usefull mods. It have the color to house my CwDT setup. I am also experimenting with Kaom's Root to achieve immuninity to stun or a pair of rare boots. Using either rare boots/Kaom's Root will require me to have 2 curse on hit setup.

Gloves: I have tried with Voidbringer to have a +1 for heralds and AA but I cant sustain the mana multiplier. I changed to a pair of Maligaro's and find it comparable to Voidbringer if you have a good crit multiplier pairs. I ripped my 35% pairs and have to buy a crap one :'(. A corrupted cast speed pairs would be BiS for damamge.

Updated! March 2015 I lucked out and got a pairs of Acuity. I am experimenting 1% life leech and Acuity to drop Vaal Pact and still have instant life leech. It also free up a slot in my chest for Faster Casting, which improve my tooltip by almost 10k with RF up.

Ring1: I originally thought that each time spark hit an enemy and dont crit it will generate a powercharge thanks to Romira's Banquet but it is not the case. The number of PC it generates is still very high tho and it actually gives me more damage than a 7% cast speed ring so I decided to keep it.
Updated

Ring 2: cast speed, mana reg, life and res is what you are looking for.

Belt: I would want a stun recovery belt with life and tri res + movement speed in this case but it is hard to come by these day.
Updated March 2015!
Spoiler

Sceptre: Almost identical to wands but enable the use of leap slam and vaal glacier hammer.

Alternatives
Spoiler

Weapon: Cast speed ~ Spell Damage > Crit mult > Crit chance for spell. Ideally can have lightning leech but it is really hard to find a good weapon.

Flasks: This is a very important part of the build. You need a specific set of flasks to be able to out regen RF, dispel RF anytime at will and other stuffs. Hallowed life flasks is chosen for its recovery speed. Eternal Life Flask is a must to out regen RF burn and ofc Ruby + Granite. With my Granite Flask up, my armour shoot up from 376 to 10k and gives me 50% phys reduction.
Updated March 2015! Divination Distilate is used to get 100% fire res (and 101% lightning res with lvl 21 PoL) for uber fight.

Gem Choice
Spoiler

- Spark: Pierce is not needed since the pierce chance from tree + projectile weakness is enough to achieve 100% pierce. The green slot can still be substitute for a pierce gem in case of curse immune maps. Link should be BBBRG and another B if you have a 6l.
For a 5L:

For a 6L:

Updated March 2015! Using fully blue chest with Spark - PCoC - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - Crit damage - Lightning Penetration for Atziri runs. Life leech is achieved from gears alone.

- CwDT: I tried to run around without it and it sucks. You want a CwDT lvl 3 setup to be able to blink in your enemies face and shotgun them to death.

Updated March 2015! Using self cast EC - IC setup for uber trio fight for 10s IC (using +1 endcharge belt).

- CoH setup: Ball lightning is a superior choice to Arc since it curse multiple enemies and goes further.

Updated March 2015! Now using single curse but 2 different setup:
Ball lightning - GMP - CoH - Prjectiles Weakness : to deal with trash mobs
EK - Faster Projectiles - CoH - Assasins Mark : to deal with boss

- Leap Slam: Leap Slam - Faster Attack .Using Leap Slam making the build much more mobile and it gets benefits from dual weild attack speed bonus.

Alternative
Spoiler

- Lightning Warp: We only take 1 half of the duration nodes on the tree so LW is still a viable choice for faster movement. Note that movement speed also affect the speed of LW so you can have that on gears to improve LW speed.

- Aura: We run 4 auras but only 3 of them is linked with Red. mana in gloves since we dont have enough slots for everything. Purity of Lightning can be swapped with Purity of fire in case of Reflect maps.

Updated March 2015! Altering auras for fight:
* HoT-PoF-PoL-Clarity for Vaal fight
* HoT-PoF-HoI-Clarity for other fights

- Ultilities: RF, AA and herald of thunders (or HoI) is placed on a wand

Bandit choice
Spoiler

I chose Oak - Skill Point - Alira

Gameplay
Spoiler

You curse enemy with Ball Lightning and start releasing your spiders. Everything should explode and shatter in seconds, unless it is a goat or frog. In that case, back off and kite them or turn on RF to burn their asses.

Flasks should be kept in mind all the time and you should have a set of flask for specific bosses like Vaal, Dom and Merveil. Remember that when you dont have flask up, you are a bug and can be killed very quickly.

Stats
Spoiler

Updated March 2015! New videos with failed uber run coming soon!

This is recorded with my current gem setup which can be quite a bit higher. Different setup with rare shield + ring + rare boots can push HP over 5k

Updated March 2015!
62k self buffed tooltip = over 180k shotgun without shock and curse
Spoiler
http://i.imgur.com/PZTuNU3.jpg

Offense without charges
Spoiler

Outdated
Offense with 5 charge, RF and atziri's promise up
Spoiler

Updated March 2015!
Cut down a bit of health to 4k8 and fixing resist. 100% immunity can be achieved with Divination Distilate
Spoiler
Coming soon!

Defense w/o flasks
Spoiler

Outdated
Defense with flasks up
Spoiler

Bonus
Spoiler

Benchmark with

Fork, No charge
Spoiler

Fork With 5 charge, no flask, no RF
Spoiler

Faster projectiles with 5 charge, no RF, no flask
Spoiler

Variant Versions
Spoiler

I have tested Spark with Fork and find it inferior to Pierce in both single target and clear sleed.

I tried to build around with a shield like this
and voidbringer but ended up switching to dual wield wands for the projectile speed and damage. Crit it more consistent with shield and VB though.

Tested Spark frost wall and found out that it is very inconsistent (Video coming soon!). Despite the fact that it was apparently fix in 1.3:
"
It now bounces off Frost Walls, regardless of whether they are cast by players or monsters

In practice, sometime sparks will bounce off and most of the time it will pierce without any chance to pierce on Spark at all.

Videos

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING
QAs
Spoiler

Q: How do you use Divination Distilate reliably?
A: I have to swap to a lower Clarity gem so that when I cast Spark, my mana will not go up. I normally walk a few steps so my AA drain a certain amount of mana before casting to be sure.

Q: Did you try Warlord's Mark? The leech is awesome!
A: The leeching is nice with WM. However, it also grant Mana Leech, rendering Divination Distile unusable. If I would ever try with Saffell instead of dual wield, WM would be a good choice.

Q: Did you try CoD instead of high ES chest?

A: Tried cloak. Did not like it since I reserve almost all the mana anyway and I actually have more mana regen with my old hybrid chest (500es). Mana drain is really hard with spark and I can easily drain all my mana with faster casting or vaal haste up (240 mana reg atm).

Q: Why projectile weakness again?

A: a 20/20 Projectile weakness offer Pierce chance equal to a 20/20 Pierce gem without affecting pierce chance of Spark. It means that Spark can still pierce an enemy without going through Frost Wall, which opens opportunities for Vaal Glacier Hammer + Spark combo. Too bad that Spark is still buggy and the combo will not actually work all the time.

Q: How is clear speed with this build?

A: Clear speed with 75% pierce is acceptable but still feels a bit slow to me. Sparks really shine in indoor maps and boss fights.

Q: How is Dory's Catalyst compared to rare weapon?

A: It is a nice bonus to the damage thanks to the huge elemental damage mods. The elemental leech is extremely nice. However, you will lose around 50% crit mult, a bunch of crit chance and quite a bit of cast speed, which result in about 2k damamge loss with RF. I would say a weapon like mine will have a slight edge over Dory's Catalyst but it is also very very hard to find.

Q: How important is Atziri's Acuity?

A: It is a nice touch but it is not neccessary at all. I managed to get to lvl 94 and Uber atziri chamber without it. I have a bit more life and a significant cast speed boost since I do not have to use Life Leech gem. But that is about it. In fact, I think life leech with VP is much more stronger since you leech from every hit.

Q: Have you tried dual apeps or pledge? How do you about empower over say Crit multi?

A: I did not try with dual apeps or pledge. I personally think that a 6l pledge with Voll's Protector is the best setup but I tried to make it more accesible (this is the only build I did in Torment) so I chose dual wield weapon.

For dual apeps, I planned out a non crit builds and tried in Standard (I lose too much crit chance + crit mult to make a crit build using dual apeps). The result is not statisfying enought for me and I better off using something like Incinerate or Ball Lightning.

Empower do little to nothing compared to Crit Multi since this build focus a lot of crit. Even without Assasin's Mark, Crit Multi offer More damage multiplier with full powercharge up (~50% crit chance). If you have a BiS caster staff with +3 gem lvl then Empower might have an edge vs Crit Mult.

Debates on Spark
Spoiler

I have a Reddit discussion on Reddit about how pierced Spark really work.

IMO, Spark can be a really good skill if the hit mechanic is fixed so that spark can hit 1 target multiple times. Right now, I can cover the ground with Spark and some enemy do not even lose HP.

I can easily swap out Spark for Freezing Pulse and get slightly higher damage, safer clearing speed. The strengh of Spark is the ability to hit multiple times is being ignored since the only way to manipulate that (Frost Wall) is not behaving as expected with Spark.

To Do

Updated March 2015
- Attempt Uber Atziri for the 3rd time.
- Experiment with Kaom's Roots and Atziri's Acuity.
- Get Taste of Hate.
- Get better Sceptre.

Spoiler

- Get Warlord Mark, lvl up Purity of Lightning and attemp Atziri. Got lvl 21 PoL and lost it..
- Buy better wands.
- Level up

Updated
- Buy better sceptre (ideally with light leech) and belt.
- Buy Taste of Hate
- Better ES chest.
- Attempt Uber Atziri.

Achivement
Spoiler

- Attempted Uber 2 times:
* First time I stopped at Uber Trio and let a service guy clear the rest at 2 portal. Got Acuity!
* Second time I stopped at Uber Atziri split phase. My network was not good and I was not confident enough to finish it. Rip set.
- Get to lvl 94. The build is very tanky if you play it right. Flasks can get me over 10k armour, over 90 resistant and mad leeching. I can also swap for self cast IC setup to get 10s immunity to physical. However, it is very easy to make mistake and forget to flask or blank cast IC.

Bull's PoE Build compilation: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1639201
Last edited by F4F_Lucifer on Mar 22, 2015, 9:04:34 AM
Reserved
Bull's PoE Build compilation: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1639201
No video = no one cares
"
No video = no one cares

Well someone cares enough to reply :) I don't intend to catch intention. I just post it here so I don't forget and update in the future. That's why it says coming soon.
Updated with videos
"
BearsAreBrown wrote:
No video = no one cares

Illiterates of the world, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your brains.

@OP
Well written guide.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:

@OP
Well written guide.

Thank you sir. I really appreciate it. Sometime I get really discouraged by all the negativity in the community but a compliment or just constructive suggestion here and there can certainly brighten up my day.

Ib4 some changes in weapons and tree to attempt Atziri.
Question: Have you tried GMP or LMP with Fork in a gem set up with Spark? It's typically what I ran when leveling and building my spark caster.

I love the spell, wish it had more recognition than it gets.

And very well written guide, kudos. :)
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
"
XigTek wrote:
Question: Have you tried GMP or LMP with Fork in a gem set up with Spark? It's typically what I ran when leveling and building my spark caster.

I love the spell, wish it had more recognition than it gets.

And very well written guide, kudos. :)

Thank you for the compliment :)

I have tried GMP and LMP with Fork in standard before and it is not very effective. You can read this discussion to see people experience with multiple projectile spark. It it a roughly 20% MORE multiplier when factoring quality (LMP seems a bit better imo) and it helps covering the area with spark really quick. The cons is that have a rather high mana multiplier and there are other gems that are benefical in other ways (PCoC, faster casting and even faster projectiles come to mind). That said, I think projectiles gem is very powerful in closed, cramp area since you can "recycle" your spark many times.

FYI, I have 20k damage with RF and 5 charge compared to 30k while using
instead of
. That is about 100k shotgun compared to 90k but mana cost shoots up from 73 to 95 making it pretty hard to sustain.
Last edited by F4F_Lucifer on Feb 5, 2015, 2:33:33 PM
Updated gears.
Added Atziri run video.
New items in wishlist.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info