[2.0] Cold Snap Perma Freeze - Updated!

This build is still a WIP, but currently level 82 and able to run L77 maps solo with ease. If you are looking for a fun, different build that can support a full party then this is it. With Divinarius and AOE nodes you should be able to perma freeze the entire screen pretty easily. At the moment I can freezelock L78 Cold Res Maps with a full party. I am still ironing out the details, but I have spent less than 3ex on my core gear and it's working wonderfully.

+Pros:
Spoiler
+Perma freeze entire screens
+Huge AOE
+Good DPS
+Teammates love you
+Cheap (2ex'ish)
+Get to use Cold Snap as a main ability!

-Cons:
Spoiler
-A bit squishy (perma frozen enemies help mitigate this)
-Mana starved (EB and Clarity help with this)
-Cannot run -Regen, No Regen
-Lack Dex from tree, you'll need to get some on gear or spend a passive or two on +30 nodes
-Leveling up to maps solo can be a bitch

Cost:
Spoiler
5L Volls - 1.5 to 2ex; majority of the cost
Divinarius - 6-10c; focus on crit, don't sweat spell damage too much
Saffel's Frame - 1-5c; get higher spell dmg if possible
Doryani's Belt - 6-10c; any rare belt will do as well, but this one is sweet
Helm/Gloves/Boots - 1c-#ex; you'll want life, res, and dex. ES can help mana issues too.
Rings - 1c-#ex; Life, res, crit, cold dmg, maybe cast speed or stats
Ammy - 1c-#ex; Spell dmg/Cold Dmg, Crit Mult, Crit, Life Stats

Minimum:
Roughly 2ex

Videos:
Spoiler
Outdated 1.3 video: I'm new to making videos, so bare with me. Just a Plateau run-through at Level 76. This is with L17 Cold Snap, L16 Cold Pen, L16 Inc AOE, and piss poor jewelry (~3c ea).
https://vimeo.com/119282298

Passive Tree - UPDATED FOR 2.0!:

Passive Tree (OLD 1.3):

Passive Tree Summary - UPDATED FOR 2.0!:
Spoiler
BaseStat
+270 to Intelligence
+90 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
+10 to Strength and Intelligence
General
127% increased Cold Damage
20% increased Area Damage
76% increased Elemental Damage
25% chance to Freeze enemies
60% increased Freeze Duration on enemies
10% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite
60% increased Chill Duration on enemies
25% increased Damage against Frozen, Shocked or Ignited Enemies
5% chance to Freeze Enemies which are Chilled

Defense
159% increased maximum Life
50% increased maximum Energy Shield
28% increased maximum Mana
+20% to Chaos Resistance
Penetrates 5% Cold Resistance
Penetrates 2% Fire Resistance
Penetrates 2% Lightning Resistance
+17% to all Elemental Resistances
20% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
+20 to maximum Mana
+20 to maximum Energy Shield
+30 to maximum Life

Charges
54% increased Power Charge Duration
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% increased Spell Damage per Power Charge

Weapon
26% increased Melee Damage

Aura
3% increased effect of Auras

Spell
16% increased Elemental Damage with Spells
4% increased Cast Speed
84% increased Spell Damage
5% increased Attack and Cast Speed

Others
Enemies Become Chilled as they Unfreeze
40% increased Area of Effect radius
+5 Life gained on Kill
+2 Jewel Socket

Crit
215% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
130% increased Critical Strike Chance
30% increased Critical Strike Multiplier
20% increased Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells

Passive Tree Summary (OLD 1.3):
Spoiler
Spell
20 % increased Area Damage
5 % increased Attack and Cast Speed
10 % increased Cast Speed
5 % increased Effect of Buffs on You
16 % increased Elemental Damage with Spells
45 % increased Mana Regeneration Rate
40 % increased Radius of Area Skills
84 % increased Spell Damage

50 % increased maximum Mana
12 % reduced Mana Cost of Skills
20 + to maximum Mana

Misc
25 % chance to Freeze
5 % chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite

60 % increased Chill Duration on Enemies
127 % increased Cold Damage
38 % increased Elemental Damage
60 % increased Freeze Duration on Enemies

26 % increased Melee Damage
0 Enemies Become Chilled as they Unfreeze

BaseStats
30 + to Dexterity
280 + to Intelligence
70 + to Strength
20 + to Strength and Intelligence

Defense
20 % increased Armour
35 % increased maximum Energy Shield
164 % increased maximum Life
1 % of Life Regenerated per Second
2 % of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
5 + Life gained on Kill
34 + to maximum Energy Shield
30 + to maximum Life
20 +% to Chaos Resistance
17 +% to all Elemental Resistances
3 Damage Penetrates % Cold Resistance

Charge
4 % increased Spell Damage per Power Charge
3 + Maximum Power Charge

Crit
90 % increased Critical Strike Chance
215 % increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
30 % increased Critical Strike Multiplier
20 % increased Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells

Weapon
12 % increased Attack Speed

Bandits:
Spoiler
Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Kill All or help Alira
Merciless - Help Alira

Equipment:
Spoiler

Rest of gear focus on maxing Res, Life, followed by Crit Chance, Spell/Cold Dmg, and ES

Gems:
Spoiler
Main Ability (Chest):
Cold Snap (Quality Important) + Elemental Proliferation + Increased AOE + Cold Pen + Crit Chance/Mana Leech + (Life Leech/Rarity/Conc Effect)

Secondary Ability: (Helmet)
Ice Spear + GMP + Increased Crit Chance + Increased Crit Dmg

Movement: (Weapon)
Lightning Warp + Faster Casting + Reduced Duration

Auras: (Shield + Boots)
Clarity + Reduced Mana
Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Temporal Chains + Reduced Mana

Save: (Gloves)
CWDT + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration/Cold Snap/Temporal Chains

Optional Tertiary Skill (when not using CWDT or Curse on Hit): (Boots)
Boss Dmg: Discharge + Increased Crit Dmg + Concentrated Effect + IIR/Increased Crit Chance
or
Boss Freeze: Cold Snap + Cold Pen + Concentrated Effect + Increased Crit Dmg/Chance

Gameplay/Explanations:
Spoiler
Gem Choices:
Spoiler
Cold Snap has an innate 30% freeze chance, combined with an additional 30% from the tree and around a 35% chance to crit means you will have no problem freezing. Drop this in the middle of the pack and watch the whole screen freeze. With a crit I get around 7s of freeze.

Ice Spear has an insane crit chance, which is needed to restore power charges if you run out. Additionally, it can shotgun up close dealing insane damage. It is also fast and long range, which means you can generate charges and scout offscreen.

Temporal Chains is a great defensive option. Now I know that the slow may be pointless with the entire screen frozen, but the real benefit here is the freeze duration. With a crit + temporal chains I get upwards of 11s of freeze. Insane.

Herald of Thunder gives us a great little damage boost, but also works really effectively at applying curses.

Clarity is absolutely essential for maintaining mana with Voll's Protector on. Cold Snap is a fairly slow spell, so Clarity restores our mana 100% before we can cast again. Mana potions become unnecessary.

Lightning Warp is the best movement skill for us, plus can be used for additional shock if needed. Really fast at higher levels.

CWDT Setup is the standard cheeseball phys setup. If you aren't running the Curse on Hit Herald of Thunder, then throw Temporal Chains in here.

Discharge/Conc Effect Cold Snap is a final option for tough boss fights, but there are better ways to handle them when solo.

Basic Combat:
Spoiler
As soon as you see one mob, go ahead and drop cold snap on it. Even if you don't have power charges at the moment. You'll be pretty much guaranteed a freeze, which will buy you at least 3s. Throw out a couple of Ice Spears to get up to 7 power charges and then use Cold Snap to clear the mobs.

If you start to get overrun from multiple directions then freeze the mobs nearest you. As mobs run into range the freeze will proliferate. Then just rotate from left to right with Cold Snaps until the screen is just bits and pieces of shattered mobs.

In situations where the mobs have high hp try to aim your cold snap on the target with temporal chains applied. That will secure a much longer freeze for you. Remember that Ice Spear can shotgun as well, especially easy on large targets.

Boss/Exile/Rare Fights:
Spoiler
High HP Rares and Bosses are where this build gets a little trickier for solo play. Always try to keep some trash mobs around them if possible. Once you land a solid freeze on a trash mob (i.e. crit or crit with Temporal Chains), you will have a solid 7-11s to Lightning Warp to the boss and shotgun Ice Spears through him. I have a 67% crit chance currently on Ice Spear, and 5 crits shotgunning a boss does wonders. Do this for 3s or 4s then re-apply a good Cold Snap freeze again. It is amazing how long you can keep bosses frozen for this way.

This method does not work especially well in group play however, unless your team really knows not to kill the trash mobs, and they pay attention. In group play, try to help your team with some solid freezes, but just try to play it safe and spam Ice Spears and Cold Snaps from the back.

Again, this is still a WIP, but I will gladly accept criticisms and tips. Hit me up IGN: ItsGottaBeTheIce

Thanks!

-----

Gear for Video Playthrough:
Spoiler

Gear as of L82:
Spoiler

Current Tree as of L82:
Last edited by oregoncrete on Jul 23, 2015, 8:57:20 PM
Changelog:
Spoiler
2/11/2015:
-Added Costs
-Updated Video details
-Added Current Gear/Passive
-Updated Passive Tree

2/10/2015:
-Added in Videos section with first attempt at Plateau (Char level 76)

2/9/2015:
-Added in Gameplay sections (Gem Choices, Basic Combat, Combat vs Bosses)
-Made changes to the Gem section
-Added Inc Crit Chance as option for Cold Snap

2/8/2015
-Removed Ele Reflect from cons, currently running Saffel's and Purity of Ice and Reflect is now a breeze
-Due to Cold Snaps long cast time, mana issues are nearly as bad now with a decent level clarity running, removed from Cons
-Added Dex issues to Con list
-Added in Current Gear and Tree

2/6/2015:
-Made a few minor changes to skills
-Added a con of difficult solo leveling
Last edited by oregoncrete on Feb 11, 2015, 10:28:48 PM
As I am starting low level maps this build seems to be coming together. I will change up a few sections as I get some time. Adding in Saffel's Frame and Purity of Ice made reflect not an issue any more. Got a 20% Cold Snap and an 8% Elemental Proliferation. I can now freeze for ~7s with a crit, ~11s with crit and temp chains.

Would still love suggestions!
Last edited by oregoncrete on Feb 8, 2015, 1:50:59 PM
Worked my way up to level 72 and breezing through L73 maps at the moment. Updated a lot of the gem information, and added in some gameplay elements!
Ever thought of using a non crit build (with resolute technique) and Romira's Banquet for power charge generation?
The reduced mana of Voll's Protector is such a huge downside.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
Ever thought of using a non crit build (with resolute technique) and Romira's Banquet for power charge generation?
The reduced mana of Voll's Protector is such a huge downside.

I've tried that build before, but it never really satisfied what I wanted it to do. I want to be able to permafreeze in parties with a heavy duration. Non-Crit Cold Snap never seemed to work very well for that. I gained another level, and took Righteous Decree. That along with a L19 Clarity is enough to sustain me without even needed mana pots atm. I was able to solo the first L75 I ran with Ele Weakness and Vulnerability no prob.
Added a video; I apologize for quality. I am quite new to recording games. Any advice?

Thanks!
Re-vamped the passive tree a bit, and this is currently proving to be a viable solo and party based character! Thoughts?
Was able to play some 100+ IIQ L78 maps with my guild last night. Everything seems to be working the way I want. I am going to start looking into more expensive options for jewelry and maybe transitioning into Maligaro's gloves. Insights, thoughts?
Bump - Still looking for insights, I know there's way to improve on this :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info