[2.0] Cold-to-Fire Pyre Ice Nova Marauder Tank (Cheap!)

"
crazyjake wrote:
Hi, the build seems very unique! Do you think is possible switch ice nova with flame surge for single target damage since i feel that single target dps is a little bit too low :/

Flame Surge could be okay, but don't forget that a lot of the passive tree includes +Cold Damage (which then gets converted to fire damage). Arctic Breath was supposed to be our single target (but probably don't LMP/GMP it any more because you can't shotgun. I should update the build for that soon).

Right now in 2.0, Freezing Pulse is in a really strong place. I'd recommend trying that before Flame Surge, but I don't blame you if you don't want to use arctic breath.
Right now i'm trying a blood magic variant of your build with 5L infernal mantle and fire trap for trash clear and 4L flame surge for single target(level 16 no quality and DPS is above 20k, +50% against ignited :D), 5k life and 50% armor reduction, it's very funny and tanky!
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
Hi, at first thanks for the build!

Im trying it out in the Tempest HC leaque, I am now in cruel and the build begins to shine and makes a lot of fun. Im unsure about some things:

Why we use cold penetration for freeze pulse for example? Isnt our hole dmg converted to firedamage? Wouldnt it be better to use firepen? And for Ice nova you have firepen in? Im confused...

Thanx for help, I will post again and give feedback, how I am doing in the HC leaque.
Last edited by Ir4kandj7 on Jul 20, 2015, 3:39:02 PM
"
Ir4kandj7 wrote:
Hi, at first thanks for the build!

Im trying it out in the Tempest HC leaque, I am now in cruel and the build begins to shine and makes a lot of fun. Im unsure about some things:

Why we use cold penetration for freeze pulse for example? Isnt our hole dmg converted to firedamage? Wouldnt it be better to use firepen? And for Ice nova you have firepen in? Im confused...

Thanx for help, I will post again and give feedback, how I am doing in the HC leaque.

You are absolutely right! It should be fire pen, not cold pen. I need to fix up those links ASAP. I shouldn't update builds when it's late at night and I'm tired.
"
crazyjake wrote:
Right now i'm trying a blood magic variant of your build with 5L infernal mantle and fire trap for trash clear and 4L flame surge for single target(level 16 no quality and DPS is above 20k, +50% against ignited :D), 5k life and 50% armor reduction, it's very funny and tanky!

Awesome, can you post your tree for me? :)
Last edited by Kesselya on Jul 22, 2015, 12:09:43 AM
Update for July 22, 2015:

* Added Levelling trees for The Awakening patch (2.0)
* Checked the skill gems to make sure I wasn't crazy (I had cold pen in there for a while)
* Added some notes on skills to use while levelling (Flame Totem and Rallying Cry are fantastic)
* Added a blood magic variant of the build
* Added a discussion on the Templar Illuminati Wheel, which I feel has lost a lot of potency with the new routing.

I'd like to post that discussion here, if anyone would like to continue it with me:

Back in 1.3, the Templar Illuminati Wheel was a no brainer. You connected the rest of the Templar tree through Devotion for a bunch of awesome life and buff effect. In my opinion, this wheel has gotten significantly worse with the pathing through a jewel socket (unless you are able to roll an AMAZING jewel).

Instead, I would like to offer an alternative for this build (it doesn't work for other builds because it relies on us being able to use +Cold% and +Fire% in the tree interchangeably).

There are 5 connecting nodes to get you into the Templar Illuminati wheel, but there are only 2 connecting nodes to get you to Storm Weaver and Explosive Impact. Here is a comparison of the two wheels:

Illuminati Wheel (adds 12 points)
+24% Fire Damage
+24% Cold Damage
+26% Elemental Damage
+5% Chance to Freeze, Shock, and Ignite
+2% Fire Penetration
+25% Damage against Shocked, Frozen, or Ignited Enemies

Assuming you have 100% uptime on Ignite or Shock, this is going to give you a total of 99% Added damage with 2% Penetration and +5% Ignite chance.

Explosive Impact and Storm Weaver (adds 9 points)
+55% Fire Damage
+43% Cold Damage
+4% Radius of Area Skills

This gives us a combined total of 98% Added damage with increased radius. Yes, the Illuminati Wheel is slightly better, but when you are trying to trim the tree from 111 or 114 points to something that you will get with a level 85 build, sacrifices need to be made.

When I designed the Blood Magic variant of the build, I needed to exercise this option. It gave enough points to dip down into Blood Magic and still be achievable at level 85.
What's the dps like on this? Do you use endurance charges at all?
"
RIPnRhyme wrote:
What's the dps like on this? Do you use endurance charges at all?

Tooltip DPS is pretty irrelevant for this build because it uses a lot of penetration gems (which don't affect tooltip DPS at all). It has some significant clear speed of maps, and one guy posted that he was pulling 20k dps with his single target.

As far as endurance charges, I highly recommend using Enduring Cry if you can find an awesome spot to fit it in. It's going to help fuel a Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration, and provide some additional mitigation.

Keeping a lot of uptime isn't that essential though. It's got like 220% Increased Armor in the build, so you are going to be pretty tanky either way. I wouldn't invest a lot into additional endurance charges unless you really love that playstyle and are playing in a hardcore league.
I do play hardcore, so I play with that in mind. My concern would be vs bosses. Ice nova has low crit and low base damage. I'm sure the pack clear speed is amazing.
"
RIPnRhyme wrote:
I do play hardcore, so I play with that in mind. My concern would be vs bosses. Ice nova has low crit and low base damage. I'm sure the pack clear speed is amazing.

I personally run with an Enduring Cry, so I'd recommend you keep going with that. As far as bosses go - you don't use Ice Nova for that. I've played the build with Arctic Breath as single target, and I'm in the process of giving this a try with Freezing Pulse for single target. Glacial Cascade could also be pretty good, and some guys are reporting success with just using Flame Surge for single target.

That's how you are going to be taking bosses down.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info