Death penelty

any word yet? from what i hear gold is not gonna be a major part of the economy more so items so doubtfull there will be a gold hit on death maybe just the cost of repair. any xp penalty planned?
Last bumped on May 9, 2013, 9:09:10 PM
I like the system in Torchlight. You can choose between starting back at the town with no penalty, starting at the entrance to the current area with a gold penalty or resurrecting where you are but with a gold and and XP penalty.

Of course torchlight was slated a little bit for being too easy. I'm just happy to see clickfest RPGs making a comeback!
Don't think item durability is in, at least it's not on the items in the gameplay vid. I don't really like having to repair stuff all the time as it's just a gold sink and a bit of realism.

For a death penalty I'm thinking you should start back at town, unless you can be revived by teammates, the game is meant to be cut-throat so there should be some kind of other penalty too like xp loss or your character has a debuf for an amount of time, not to the point of not being able to fight like WoW though.
thats another thing. starting in town might not happen since its all instanced. maybe starting back at the start of the instance? i think the game needs some form of xp penelty to prevent people blinding slamming their bodies into a wall of monsters until they win
"
Apocalypse23x wrote:
thats another thing. starting in town might not happen since its all instanced. maybe starting back at the start of the instance?

Path of Exile being instanced doesn't preclude you starting back in town because we don't immediately close instances when you leave them. You can go back and forth between town and any of your instances freely. After some period of time an empty instance will be closed.

This also means that if you get disconnected from a game then you can rejoin within a reasonable time frame and find your way back to the instance you were in. It will still be in the same state as when you left it.
Path of Exile II - Game Director
Item repairing is a gold sink and I think that an item-based economy means that they won't really have gold sinks.

Interesting that instances stay open that long. When would the instances close? What if you want to rerun the instance, how would you get it to reset? Or is the goal to avoid that kind of thing. So you don't do "boss runs" or whatever. If I find an area particularly enjoyable I might want to run it a couple times!
"
FruitLord wrote:
Item repairing is a gold sink and I think that an item-based economy means that they won't really have gold sinks.

Interesting that instances stay open that long. When would the instances close? What if you want to rerun the instance, how would you get it to reset? Or is the goal to avoid that kind of thing. So you don't do "boss runs" or whatever. If I find an area particularly enjoyable I might want to run it a couple times!

i have done this before so i hope there is the option to rerun an area. i am almost positive the option will be there but like you said how long is the wait? can we reset it ourselves to eliminate the wait?
"
Apocalypse23x wrote:
i have done this before so i hope there is the option to rerun an area. i am almost positive the option will be there but like you said how long is the wait? can we reset it ourselves to eliminate the wait?

I haven't found information on it yet, but will the server creation be the way it was on Diablo II, or will it be more similar to Guild Wars? Because the DII style offers the simplicity of the remake. If it's more like GW, then I'd think a reset button would almost be a necessity.

EDIT: Derp. Here we go.

"
World areas are instanced, meaning that each party gets its own private randomly generated copy of a given area.

Communal areas such as towns do not have low player cap limitations and serve as a hub for trading and finding other players to group with.

Apologies for not finding it sooner. But my last statement stands.
"
Jonathan wrote:
"
Apocalypse23x wrote:
thats another thing. starting in town might not happen since its all instanced. maybe starting back at the start of the instance?

Path of Exile being instanced doesn't preclude you starting back in town because we don't immediately close instances when you leave them. You can go back and forth between town and any of your instances freely. After some period of time an empty instance will be closed.

This also means that if you get disconnected from a game then you can rejoin within a reasonable time frame and find your way back to the instance you were in. It will still be in the same state as when you left it.

the thing i noticed about this is that it doesn't answer the posed question, "what kinds of penalties (if any) are posed when you die?" it just provides some additional information.

so i'm still wondering, "what will the penalties be (if any) for dying?"
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
"
kungfooe wrote:
"
Jonathan wrote:

Path of Exile being instanced doesn't preclude you starting back in town because we don't immediately close instances when you leave them. *SNIP*

the thing i noticed about this is that it doesn't answer the posed question, "what kinds of penalties (if any) are posed when you die?" *SNIP*

I think he answered ONE question, not necessarily yours. Maybe they just don't want to lay all the cards on the table just yet *wink*.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info