Mechanics thread

"
herflik wrote:
Ok I got question and I dont see answer for it in the FAQ, while it sems usefull information for me. Its actualy many questions, but they are linked to each other.

I want to know how fork, chain, pierce and aoe skills work together.

1)Can it fork from forked projectiles?
2)Can it fork from chained projectiles?
3)Can it chain from forked projectiles?
4)Can chain created projectiles pierce?
5)Can fork created projectiles pierce?
6)Can it fork from each pierced enemy hit by same projectile?
7)Can it chain from each pierced enemy hit by same projectile?
8)Will each of the action (each projectile created by this way) explode if the skill is aoe ( like lighting arrow or ice shot)?

Or just describe it in own way how the support gems interact with each other.

Pierce has absolute priority, if a projectile pierces it can't chain or fork. It might best be illustrated on the example of ice spear, the projectile has two forms, first one always pierces and won't ever chain or fork. When the projectile gets to second stage it will fork or chain. If your projectiles have a chance to pierce they will fork or chain only in case they do not manage to pierce. There is no limit on the number of pierces.

Fork has a priority over chain, a projectile will first fork and resultant projectiles will then chain if they hit something. A projectile can fork only once.

Chain can hit a single enemy multiple times but it has priority toward targets that weren't hit yet. It can chain as many times as the gem description says.

It goes like this:
Projectile hits a target, checks if it can pierce
- if it does and hits something behind the target, it will check for pierce again
- the first time it fails to pierce it will fork and those two new projectiles will check for pierce again, if they fail they will start to chain checking for pierces again at every jump
- every time they chain again they will reduce chain counter until they spend all of it

So, to make long story short, pierce works bad with chain except in the case of an extremely large group of enemies where pierced projectiles are bound to hit something, otherwise they dissipate breaking the chain. Fork works so-so, it creates two projectiles that do a full chain but they split at a pretty bad angle so it's rare that both hit something, LMP works better than fork here.

Some AoE skills will explode on pierce, chain or fork, and some won't. Fireball for example explodes only if it can't do any of the above, lightning and poison arrow hit an area on every target, try the others yourself.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 26, 2013, 5:52:59 PM
Do successful crit rolls still trigger another chance to evade the critical? It was this way a few patches ago, but I don't see any mention of this in the info now.
Yes, Crits still need to be 'confirmed' by a second Evasion roll.
Re: passive skills attributes stacking

Searched the forums and this thread, and found myself still confused about 'multiplicative' vs 'additive'.

I have read that 'Increased' is additive, while 'More' is multiplicative.

Does this apply to 'all' of the passive tree?

If this is the case, if there are varying degrees of % 'More' (multiplicative) on any given stat or ability (say one is 5% while another is 7%), shouldn't we be trying to choose the one with the highest initial value to avoid diminishing returns?

Am I getting this right at all?
it applies to everything, passives and skills and gear. increased and redused is additive/subtractive and combine together in thier own step. then each More and Less are multiplied after.

weapons have thier own step before skills and passives but that is already calculated for you on the weapon themselves (about the physical damage and raw elemental but not percent elemental [need a confirm on elemental boosts on weapons already]).
How does attributes affect the gems. I mean does increasing int increases a blue gem damage or is it completely unrelated. Also if they don't buff the gem then what are the differences between a blue and a green gem for example.
"
Attributes
Attributes are required to equip gear and skills. The three attributes also grant some passive bonuses:
Strength grants +0.5 life and +0.2% melee physical damage per point
Dexterity grants +2 accuracy and +0.2% evasion per point
Intelligence grants +0.5 mana and +0.2% energy shield per point

Therefore the +10 attribute passive skills effectively grant:
+10 Strength: +5 life, +2% melee physical damage
+10 Dexterity: +20 accuracy, +2% evasion
+10 Intelligence: +5 mana, +2% energy shield
that's all that attributes do. red gems usually require str, blue gems usually require int, and green gems usually require dex. each gem are linked to what they do and technical aspects. like str is usually offence or power related while int is spells and dex for speed or cleverness.

edit: also the bonuses are not fractional, a 5 int won't give 2.5 mana but just 2 mana (and +1% es) while 6 int will give 3 mana but only +1% es (instead of 1.2%).
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Jan 26, 2013, 9:31:29 PM
Are the "increased elemental damage with weapons" -mods on weapons local or global?

Meaning: if i have such a mod in the main hand and i dual wield (or more precice: dual strike = both hit the same time), do both weapons get the benefit?

If anyone has such a mod on weapon it´s easy to test. Dualwield with some ele damage (anger/wrath if no ele on weapons) --> check the offhand damage values.
Then put the +weapon ele -weapon in main hand and check if the offhand values change.
IGN: N_Bohr
How the damage would be calculated in this scenario?

I have 2 passive nodes:
Elem Damage +10%
Bow Physical Damage +8%

using a skill which says: "... converts 50% of physical damage to elemental damage..."" with bow which deals 100phys damage.

1) Damage = (100*1.08)/2 + (100*1.08/2)*1.1 - (first increase all damage by 8% and when increase elem damage by 10%)
or
2) Damage = (100/2)*1.08 + (100/2)*1.1 (increase 50% of bow damage by 10% and another half of bow damage increased by 8%)
(edit: this post is bad and I should feel bad)

"
Ola wrote:
Are the "increased elemental damage with weapons" -mods on weapons local or global?

Meaning: if i have such a mod in the main hand and i dual wield (or more precice: dual strike = both hit the same time), do both weapons get the benefit?

If anyone has such a mod on weapon it´s easy to test. Dualwield with some ele damage (anger/wrath if no ele on weapons) --> check the offhand damage values.
Then put the +weapon ele -weapon in main hand and check if the offhand values change.

Percentage-based elemental damage bonuses on weapons are global (they'll even affect spells).

However, your test won't work with Anger/Wrath because global effects are added to attacks, not weapons. So level 1 Anger will increase the damage of each attack by 3-5 regardless of whether you're hitting with your main hand, offhand, or both in the case of Dual Strike.

This has the somewhat ironic consequence that if you're planning on using DW to exploit global weapon bonuses, you're actually better off using Double Strike (which is main-hand only) instead of Dual Strike. This is particularly noticeable with early-game claw Double Strikers, who straight-up double their life return by strapping on a second claw and then never hitting anyone with it.

"
Wavefront wrote:
How the damage would be calculated in this scenario?

I have 2 passive nodes:
Elem Damage +10%
Bow Physical Damage +8%

using a skill which says: "... converts 50% of physical damage to elemental damage..."" with bow which deals 100phys damage.

1) Damage = (100*1.08)/2 + (100*1.08/2)*1.1 - (first increase all damage by 8% and when increase elem damage by 10%)
or
2) Damage = (100/2)*1.08 + (100/2)*1.1 (increase 50% of bow damage by 10% and another half of bow damage increased by 8%)

This is one of the most common questions in this thread, but the short answer is
3) Physical damage = (100 / 2 * 1.08) = 54; elemental damage = (100 / 2 * (1 + .08 + .1) = 59.
IGN: Fiesse, Fjesse
Last edited by ezrast on Jan 27, 2013, 7:10:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info