[ 1.3 ] Burning Arrow Ignite Prolife Trapper - fast clear - boss killer - hardcore - very cheap

Took this build to 84 on bloodlines, died to bad connection in a situation where nothing could be done in any build (died tping into a zone i had cleared to pick up loot, freak accident). Before i get to far in, this is my first high level character ever, so i will simply explain my experience with it, nothing i say should be written in stone, I am still quite the noob.
Few notes, firstly, It is hardcore viable, but not "truly" a hard core build. There were many absurdly close calls in maps 74+, due to the nature of evasion tank, and not having that large a life pool (4600 with perfect roll belly of the beast and decent life rolls on all possible gear).The plus side of survivability with this build is, when played correctly, you have nothing to fear from any melee mob, i could kill some bosses without even having them on my screen for more than a second or two. Throw a line of traps, and use tornado shot to hit them 1.5 screens away and wait. The negative side is when projectiles sneak past your ondars guile and hit you like a truck, EK, poison arrows, and stuff like that can easily kill you before you know what happened on the right map if your evasion fails a few times in a row.

A quick note to anyone who is new at bloodlines, this build is obviously phenomenal at clearing strong boxes, but its almost too good. You kill everything so fast you dont even get to see what you killed, so always have an anti bleed flask ready before you open a box, or the combined bleed stacks from a corrupted bloodline can insta gib you. Same goes for living blood or voidspawn of abaxoth, after your traps are down you have no control over what you hit.

Also phylacteral link is a supreme pain in the ass, as you have to hit exactly one mob out of a dozen, and hitting any other mob just wastes a trap, small disadvantage from this build over say, fire trap.

If i was to do something differently in my play through, it would be to get clever construction directly after my trap reliably hit and ignited. In many instances you rely on your insane dps to keep you alive, and when you run into a group of leapers or the ground slam exile, or maps brutus, it gets really tricky to get a trap off before they blow it up. Ground slam exile is simply a no go until you have clever construction, he almost ripped me twice.

Other than that, the only thing i did adjust was to switch out fire pen and elemental damage from tornado shot into curse on hit temporal chains. It may seem counter intuitive when you can only have one curse up, but i found that i only used tornado shot against groups of 2-3, which i could easily trap and wait a second for trap to recharge. The temp chains was fantastic against haste roa's and monkeys, and anything that would hit you many times in quick succession. The tank is weak against small fast mobs, and temp chains slowed them down long enough for a trap to go off, or the dot to finish them. Looking back it would make more sense to simply run temp chains in a unset or something, it was more a case of tornado shot being fairly useless when your trap instantly one shots everything on the screen anyway.

Leveling is kind of a bastard in late cruel and early merciless, until you get your chin sol. I would suggest running in a group for that part, could just be a case of me not being all that good at the game.

All in all the build fared better in hardcore than i thought it would, your buffer to make mistakes with this build is entirely based on the space you can usually keep between yourself and the mobs instead of life, so i don't think i would suggest it for someone who is new at the game. If this was my first character i probably would have ripped a lot sooner.
You are describing so many problems with survivability that I have to ask you, do you even use a cast on damage taken immortal call setup ? That is really important for hardcore and should fix alot of problems with survivability.

4600 hp with acrobatics isnt that bad, there are builds with alot less defense.

I have almost 5k hp, capped resists, very good chaos resist, 40 % dodge, 46 % spell dodge, decent evasion and cast on damage taken immortal call setup. I think thats good enough for a hardcore build.
On my first character I felt invulnerable thanks to my kaoms heart (only died against a ridiculous bleed with 3x the damage).

I found the leveling wasnt a problem, only early cruel it wasnt that great.
In Merciless I farmed Fellshrine until 62. 1 Firetrap + flammability = dead pack. Leveling felt pretty good for me.

Edit: And how did you like the build ?
Last edited by rambo50 on Jan 31, 2015, 9:35:03 AM
There is something you should note with bold/bright letters about this build : DON'T LAY TRAPS NEXT TO STRONGBOX WITH "DETONATE NEARBY CORPSES" MODIFIER" .

Learn't this hard way today, while lvling to this build with firetrap in bloodlines. Carelessly opened lock box before id'd it and got instagibbed by corpses. RIP'd at just 47 lvl without expensive stuff at least, only some gaming ours streak wasted.

Will try to go for this build once more, it looks really good one for my price ranged (beginning the league still) .
Thinking back, many of my close calls were caused when i overlevelled my CWDT like a moron (remedied later). This is only my 3rd character in all of POE, so it may be that running maps feels that sketchy with all characters. i think my only legitimate gripes with the survivability, is with evasion tanking in general. It may just be my inexperience but it feels a little too RNG. I remember one instance where a haste roah on a fleet map managed to hit me 7 times in a row and just about killed me, which wouldn't happen with armor damage reduction. I feel that if you really want to push to high 90's, you would want something more consistent, but that's just theory, i haven't looked at all the builds at the top of the league to see if any run evasion.

Its certainly the best out of the 3 builds ive played so far if that says anything :P
If it was no good i wouldn't have said anything, I would recommend it to anyone. The other tweak i might have made, was to take out the celestial judgement and high explosives nodes, and pick up thick skin.I diddnt quite get that far, but it might have been something i experimented with. I never ever had problems with dps, and would have liked juuust a little more life.

Running in groups is a little awkward, you kind of have to be in front to set up the dot before the rest of the group closes in, the whole thing reminded me a lot of a poison necro in d2, which i wasn't expecting, and was pretty neat.

Its a good build, and i may have to look at your ES variant if i ever get the internet connection to make a serious attempt at laddering in HC. It might have the EHP to stop it from getting one shotted out of nowhere, which i always felt was a slight risk in higher maps (might just be paranoia).

I wasn't trying to bash the build lol, just bringing back my experience with running it to 84.
Next league I will try this build. Rambo the Firetrap build is totally Atziri viable, because that the build dont depends of chance to ignite to cause damage. This build, what could be done in your build on this?
Guides made by me:
Unnamed's CoC CI Discharge Trickster, Tankster BV MoM Poison, Saboquisitor MoM Pure Cold damage with Hrimburn, Trickster Critical Flameblast
"
Next league I will try this build. Rambo the Firetrap build is totally Atziri viable, because that the build dont depends of chance to ignite to cause damage. This build, what could be done in your build on this?

Maybe use Explosive Arrow with conc effect on weapon swap ?
I would really love if this build could be Atziri viable.

Doesn't have to be efficient, just deathless Atziri viable would be fine.

I'm afraid Explosive Arrow 5L/6L would be too mana costy. I believe it was close to like Maybe just use like lvl 17 clarity for mana regen? I'm not sure.

Maybe Explosive Arrow (g) - Blood Magic (r) - Faster Attacks(g) - Conc effect (b) - ele prolif (b) ?
But then that's like 3 link for a single target dmg... Which is not enough dps for atziri.

Tornado shot? No phys dmg from the tree.

I dunno what to do for Atziri :( I really want to try the build out.
Just thought to toss my own thoughts into this conversation.

I understand the use of Herald of Ash for the auras but after doing some testing Herald of Ice was actually pumping out a bit more damage, not a lot but enough to be noticeable.

I actually pulled a Pyre out of my stash to do some testing with it since it has great resists on it already as well. With Pyre the damage difference was enormous. I would honestly add Pyre as an optional Unique seeing as they only cost 1 Chaos roughly even with near perfect rolls on Bloodlines.

TL;DR version: Use Herald of Ice instead of Herald of Ash if you can get a Pyre.
Hi everyone,

i'm following this build in Torment, and want to add a few words from myself:

1] I'm currently only 67lvl, so don't have a full view on a build, but those are my suggestions:

I can't afford atm a 5-L Chin Sol or Belly of the beast [1,25-2ex] so i use this gear:

Spoiler

A few thing are going to improve, cause @69 lvl i'll be able to wear those:
Spoiler

So let's say, that is enough for now with cautios approach to monsters. What i was able to do in this situation was:

As a result i can run Hatred + HoA + Grace on mana and Clarity on life.

It was cheap solution because it was self-found & self-crafted [chroms i was saving since league beginning] The only two thing are: lvl 19 RedMana and 2Skill Points spend on ReducedManaReservation

Full skill tree atm:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAx4EBwW1BiMNjRa_Fy8aOBzcHRQfQSGwIvQmlScvKo0tRy6UMHEwfDT3Nj022DpCOlg8BT1fRXxJG0t4TLNQQlFHUlNVS1XGWfNh4mKsZOdmnmwLbIxtGW1scYVyqXzZfyuCm4PbjDaNv49GkFWXhZeVl5eX9Jo7m6GdqqSxrJisqq-NsUK0OLTFtUjAGsLs1CPWit2o5Rnljuw47FXvfPFs8xH3MvfX-tL79Q==

But getting to the point - this build has a real potential and it's quite fun to play :] I was playing a few diffrent build, with one similiar to this one, but based on ES not Eva.

I tried Pyre, but for me it didn't pass a trial - dmg output is high, but destroing corpses means destroing ele prolif circles that are left after mobs death - so no.

I also want to try at 68lvl Doryani's Invitation - Fire version Belt - will post within few days my observations :)

Atm i think i lack dmg - ele resist + life regen = they die but slow. Too slow - maybe after Point Blank and changing gear after reaching 69lvl it will change :)

Cheers!
I just started out this build the other day, going strong at level 67 with my Chin and Deerstalker just about to enter the maps for the first time in Bloodlines. I had a very good time lvling this build, no struggles really whatsoever. I'm enjoying the shit out of it, cheers Rambo. May another Koams return to you within near future, peace.

Spoiler
Those leapers man.. those fucking leapers.
Last edited by IDometz on Feb 20, 2015, 10:04:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info