Where does COMK cast?

Theory crafting a Staff Crit Static Strike + COMK Ice Nova build...

Just wondering where Ice Nova will cast...

Will it cast around me or will it cast at the site of the melee kill?

I suppose either is fine, and I'll be buffing AoE regardless...just very curious to try it out since I found out that the Static AoE in SS will also trigger COMK kills...so I could theoretically be popping ice nova all over the screen, heh.

Cheers!
The same as any other trigger - you trigger it, so it's emitted from you aimed at whatever triggered it (in the case of CoMK, the fresh corpse).
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The same as any other trigger - you trigger it, so it's emitted from you aimed at whatever triggered it (in the case of CoMK, the fresh corpse).

Thank you, good sir.
To be honest, COMK and Ice nova will just gimp you because you then are at a 4L, with a probable DPS loss unless you're in a pack size sea witch map. Sounds like fun, good luck!
"
PhysoniumI wrote:
To be honest, COMK and Ice nova will just gimp you because you then are at a 4L, with a probable DPS loss unless you're in a pack size sea witch map. Sounds like fun, good luck!

Could be the case. I have played "optimized" streamer tested builds before and ploughed through content with them. Just want to make something different and fun. Right now crafting a 2H Mace elemental focus...

Static Strike + MPD + COMK + Ice Nova (5/6 = WED, MDFL) with:

150%+ elemental/weapon elemental damage (buffs Hatred, HoT, HoA, SS AoE, Nova)
40% AoE Radius (SS AoE, Nova, Prolif range, etc)
30% aura effect (Hatred up to 52% conversion)
25% chance to shock
250%ish phys dmg increase.

Gonna pop one guy with a slow, big shot and set off:

Prolif burn from HoA
COMK Ice Nova
If he died shocked, then HoT + CoH + Warlords
And then the SS AoE will land, likely kill more mobs and trigger more HoA burns, COMK procs, and keep HoT up and cursing all over the screen.

I am hoping it plays like I think...will be fun to level in any case :P
I've seen some CoMK builds working, and it seems it does better with smaller, concentrated AoEs for main attack like cyclone. Larger ones damage most monsters at similar levels so if you trigger Ice Nova when one monster gets killed and others are near death it will just finish stuff up and do little good.

What could pose a problem for your build is too much going on, you got main skill, you got HoA and you got triggered ice novas. Out of all that only main skill triggers, so when herald and novas start killing stuff they break your triggering chain.

Not saying you shouldn't attempt it, of course, just recommend having a backup plan - or several.

About that WED question of yours, it doesn't work because triggered spells do not use your weapon to deal damage, that means they don't deal 'weapon damage' so they don't do 'weapon elemental damage' either. That doesn't change even if you triggered them using one, they aren't part of your attack, they're additional effects.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 7, 2015, 11:02:20 AM
Also, MDFL is useless unless your CI, as you aren't at full life enough. You won't have enough crit chance/multi without using an incr crit damage, an abyssus (for the overkill ignites) and voidbringers or Mali's. Also, how will you leech? A Doryani's Catalyst may be better tbh. Ele leech, ele damage, lots of phys and crit and you can wear a shield or dual fist 'em.

Also, maces aren't staves.
For a crit build you usually use dagger -> wand -> bow -> staff -> sword. Maces if using a Doryani's. A 2H crit wep besides bow or sword would be very underwhelming.

But yeah, it will cast on you. Discharge doesn't discharge around the enemy you crit (ranged discharge LOL) for CoC, and they're probably designed around the same mechanic.
Last edited by PhysoniumI on Jan 7, 2015, 2:46:27 PM
Thanks for further insight, all. This has been changed to an RT Mace build with less going on LOL. It's just for fun. I don't intend this guy to be my map clearer or have anywhere near top speed, I just love melee and you can actually take "random" builds in to mapping now as long as they aren't horrible and broken lol.

I have watched some vids and done some reading on Cyclone COMK and it looks fun too...I have never played any cyclone build. Probably sticking with Mace Marauder for now, but also have a 1H+Shield Crit Ondar's Counter-skills Duelist on the go, heh. Just having fun this league and not obsessing about end game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info