[Torment] Splode's Bridle - Scold's Vaal Molten Shell Incinerator (now with videos)

(latest update - 3 Feb : 1.3.1 came and the build is mostly unaffected. We don't need to worry about self-stunning anymore though [RIP CwS builds], so US is maybe unnecessary now. The original tree without it might be best after all.)

Action videos :
78 Palace with double Beyond and pack size
(new) 77 Abaxoth melting in 5 seconds

This is a build based around Vaal Molten Shell, the Scold's Bridle unique helm and Incinerate. Since the helm is a Torment exclusive, this build is only possible to make in that league - sorry Bloodlines folks.
The idea itself is fairly straightforward and many people had it. You will find multiple other similar builds around ; this is simply my take on this (the devil is in the details !).
This is posted in the Templar section because my character happens to be one, but the build works just as well as a Witch, and Shadow is fine too.

The concept
Here's the short of it : Scold's Bridle hits you with damage every time you use a skill, and Vaal Molten Shell explodes every time you get hit. Ergo, you get an explosion every time you use a skill. With that base, all that's left to do is :
1. maximize the uptime of Vaal Molten Shell (increased duration, clear speed, and self temp chains if you want to go that far)
2. Maximize the number of skill uses per second (Incinerate and high cast speed)
3. Make sure to not kill yourself through self damage or reflect (Arctic Armor and Vaal Pact, respectively)

There are two versions of this build. The first I made as shield+wand with minimal currency (besides the Scold's), the second is an evolution of it at higher levels, with a Pledge of Hands. The first is good enough to solo high maps without problems, but the second has significantly higher damage output and clear speed.

The "budget" shield+1h version

Action mini-video
Two-man Shipyard (uncut footage)

Around level 85 with lvl19 gems you should get :
- 5k+ GMP (~7k LMP) tooltip on Incinerate, in a 5L including life leech
- ~14k average damage on VMS without damage supports (it procs at least 5+ times a second, often a lot more)
- 4.5~5k maximum life, depending on gear
- 250-300 mana regen, enough to run lvl20 AA + Inner Force without issues (some to spare for empowering)
- completely reflect proof (no flask necessary)
- Total build cost : 5~6 exalts - most of it is Scold's itself and a 5L chest

Choices made, redux
Based on the concept above, there are still quite a few different ways one can take things. Here's the main decisions I made, in short list form, for the busy exile :

- AA to mitigate Scold and some reflect
- EB to support AA
- Heralds - to boost Incinerate damage mainly, but also pretty good with VMS, and gives free status ailments + auto single curse
- Vaal Pact absolutely necessary to stand a chance against reflect
- Purity of fire to further mitigate reflect
- No CoD/MoM because we lack the available mana due to the auras/buffs we want, and our mana regen is already stretched thin
- No Shackles + Temporal Chains to extend VMS duration because it's annoying, it lowers the proc rate, and just feels unnecessary to me (but that's an opinion, Shackles is definitely a reasonable option)
- Cloak of Flame because coupled with AA and PoF (which we already run) it provides the same amount of Defense against phys as a Lightning Coil, with 110% more resists and semi-useful chance to ignite. It's also a lot easier to chrome
- Focus on making the build clear well even when VMS is inactive. In practice, this means putting Incinerate in a 5/6L and VMS in a 4L rather than the other way around

Passives
As stated above, this works just as fine for Templar or Witch, and also works as Shadow.

Final Templar tree at lvl85 (anything above that is gravy)

Note that this is by no means the only way to go about it (probably not the best either) ; there is a fair amount of leeway on passives here. I'm fairly satisfied with the performance of this particular tree though.

Bandits : Oak/Kill (I personally prefer Kill, but the difference is minimal), Kill, Kill/Oak (I'd advice Kill there too)

Gems & Links
Main link 1 (chestBBBRG) : Incinerate - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - Life Leech - LMP/GMP
Both LMP and GMP work perfectly fine, it's mostly a matter of preference. I prefer LMP as it gives higher single hits which means a better chance at proccing status ailments and heralds.
6th is luxury and at your discretion ; Added Chaos would be my go-to.

Main link 2 (any 4L RRRB) : Vaal Molten Shell - Increased Duration - Life Leech - Increased AoE
The possibility of replacing AoE for Conc exists for a ridiculous boost in damage, but it's just unnecessary - 77/78 map bosses just go down fast enough without any DPS supports. Might be worth switching for Atziri if you want to do that

Auras (any 4L BGRR) : Clarity - Purity of Fire - Herald of Ice - Reduced mana

Obligatory CwDT (any 4L RRRR) : CwDT - EC - IC - Inc Duration
sadly, this needs to be in pretty much every build under the sun

HoT-CoH (3L BBG) : Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Temporal Chains
I like TC because it gives better status ailments (freeze/shock) on top of substantial defense, but you can put whatever you want there. Elemental Weakness would be a prime choice is you want to go full DPS

Mobility (3L BR/G) : Lightning Warp - Reduced Duration Arctic Armor

my shitty gear at lvl86

Scold's is obviously the expensive part ; got mine for 1ex and change at the end of the first week of Torment. The rest is mostly trash. Chest is self linked (300 jewelers 0 fusings, lol), belt is self found and so is the amulet (which is a disgrace, I need to do something about that). Everything else I bought for a handful chaos a piece at most.

This is plenty enough to clear 76/77s comfortably (haven't gotten to 78s in Torment yet).

The endgame Pledge version

78 Palace with double Beyond and pack size
Double beyond shipyard unfortunately low quality due to shitty twitch integration, but great fun was had there.
lvl77 Shock and Horror with 42 lightning resist

Around level 90 with most gems lvl20 you should get :
- 10k+ LMP tooltip on Incinerate (would be about 7k+ with GMP)
- 15k+ average damage on VMS with penetration (it procs at least 7+ times a second, often a lot more)
- 5kish maximum life, depending on gear
- 250-300 mana regen, enough to run lvl20 AA + Inner Force without issues (some to spare for empowering)
- completely reflect proof (no flask necessary)
- Total build cost : 10~12 exalts - most of it is Scold's + 5L Pledge (+ 5L chest + Windscreams)

Choices made, redux
Here's the main decisions I made, in short list form for the busy exile :

- AA to mitigate Scold and some reflect
- EB to support AA
- Heralds - to boost Incinerate damage mainly, but also pretty good with VMS, and gives free status ailments + auto single/double curse
- Vaal Pact absolutely necessary to stand a chance against reflect
- Purity of fire to further mitigate reflect
- No CoD/MoM because we lack the available mana due to the auras/buffs we want, and our mana regen is already stretched thin
- No Shackles + Temporal Chains to extend VMS duration because it's annoying, it lowers the proc rate, and just feels unnecessary to me (but that's an opinion, Shackles is definitely a reasonable option)
- rare armor based chest simply for ease of coloring (and because I had one on hand), but a good Saintly or maybe a Lightning Coil would be good. I dropped the idea of Cloak of Flame due to needing RRRRB which would be a bitch to chrome.
- Still focusing on making the build clear well even when VMS is inactive. Incinerate goes in the Pledge and VMS goes in the chest
- Windscreams for double cursing
- (newly added) Unwavering Stance, as stuns are a liability when you get interrupted and can't leech anymore, and especially a nuisance when casting VMS. Without it you need to be careful to pre-cast it away from mobs, especially chargers, flickerers, etc. On a 5L, casting VMS itself also has a chance to stun you if you are cursed with Vulnerability (especially as a map mod) or Warlord's, which is extremely annoying.

Passives
As stated above, this works just as fine for Templar or Witch, and also works as Shadow. I would actually advise to go with Witch because the templar casting animation with a staff is fugly (yes I am shallow like that, it's otherwise the same thing though).

(new) Final Templar tree at lvl90, modified to include US

Previous version tree without US ans with moar deeps

(new) Final Witch tree at lvl90 with US, a bit better than the templar version (no points wasted on Practical Application)

Bandits : Oak/Kill (I personally prefer Kill, but the difference is minimal), Kill, Kill/Oak (I'd advice Kill there too)

Gems & Links
Main link 1 (Pledge BBBRG) : Incinerate - LMP/GMP - Faster Casting - Life Leech - Added Chaos
Both LMP and GMP work perfectly fine, it's mostly a matter of preference. I prefer LMP as it gives higher single hits which means a better chance at proccing status ailments and heralds.
6th is absolute luxury and at your discretion ; faster proj could be good.

Main link 2 (Chest 5L RRRRB) : Vaal Molten Shell - Increased Duration - Life Leech - Fire Pen - Increased AoE
The possibility of replacing AoE for Conc exists for a ridiculous boost in damage, but it's just unnecessary - 77/78 map bosses just go down fast enough without it. Might be worth switching for Atziri if you want to do that

Auras (any 4L BGRR) : Clarity - Purity of Fire - Herald of Ice - Reduced mana

Obligatory CwDT (any 4L RRRR) : CwDT - EC - IC - Inc Duration
sadly, this needs to be in pretty much every build under the sun

HoT-CoH (any 4L BBBG) : Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Temporal Chains - Elemental Weakness
I like TC because it gives better status ailments (freeze/shock) on top of substantial defense, but you can put whatever you want there. Elemental Weakness would is a prime choice is you want to go full DPS. If you decide to use Windscreams you can just put both in there.

Somewhere : Arctic Armor
if you are lucky enough to get a green socket spare socket on pledge or chest put it there, else together with the above if you don't double curse, else an unset ring if you have 2 6Ls and are double cursing.

my gear at lvl90
In the current market, Scold's is 3ex, a 5L Pledge is 6ex, the chest would be about 2ex (bought unlinked 10c). Windscreams are about 30c. The rest is self found and should be cheap to buy.

Appendixes : Theory, discussion, etc

Scold self damage and mitigation
We can expect up to roughly 1k self damage per second from sustain casting Incinerate (250 ish mana cost per second in an 'endgame' setup). Something needs to be done about it. One could conceivably use that to proc a low level CwDT ~2 times/sec and compensate with leech or something. I decided to just negate it completely, which is relatively easy thanks to AM and Incinerate's low cost/high speed. We don't need any actual self damage to be done to proc VMS, and we can then enjoy the full extent of our leech without the worry of killing ourselves when hitting nothing.

Note that not mitigating the self damage and wearing Cloak of Flame can let you self-ignite and profit from Mokou's Embrace super strong cast speed bonus. That's also fairly cool.

Using a Vaal skill as a primary damage source
Vaal skills need souls to be triggered, and have relatively short durations. They are meant to be powerful temporary buffs, so not the central part of a build - in concept.
We try to maximize the duration of it to make it easier to charge it up again while the previous cast is still active, allowing us to chain it. This is relatively easy in certain (if not most) situations.
But there will always be times when the skill is not available : the beginning of a map is the most unavoidable one. Getting the kills for that first charge can be a major sticking point if you invest all you have into the Vaal skill and your character is too weak without it. There are also those times when the mob density is just not enough to get you enough kills, or when you simply need to spend some time picking up and organizing loot, etc.
I consider it necessary to keep a certain balance of power between on and off time of your Vaal skill in order for the build to be enjoyable. My first Vaal Molten Shell build in Rampage was godly with the buff on, but struggled to get the first few kills per map safely (and in those situations mentioned above) , which was certainly not an enjoyable experience. This ultimately hurt the overall build experience a lot.

All of this is to say, I made the choice with this build to keep it fairly powerful even when the VMS is inactive, at the cost of some damage and utility when it is. In practice, this means putting Incinerate in a 5-6 link and VMS in a 4L rather than the other way around (although that part might change at higher levels of gear and gems, if a 4L Incinerate turns out to be enough to clear comfortably with. The other option is using a staff for 2 5+Ls, Pledge and Searing Touch being prime candidates, but that's not something I have tested at this point) . The build gets so facerolly with VMS on, that more damage would not really matter much (outside of pretty numbers), and a stronger Incinerate makes for a much smoother and enjoyable time when VMS is off.

Feel free to ask whatever !
I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Feb 3, 2015, 7:11:31 PM
Hi, I think in Auras , there is a herald of lightning? Is that a typo?
"
solidghost wrote:
Hi, I think in Auras , there is a herald of lightning? Is that a typo?

Yeah that's Herald of Thunder. I keep calling it that -.-;
Genius
Updated with some new video footage.
"
sherkhan wrote:
When does this go live on reddit?

No idea. When I can be arsed to make a decent video.
I'm off to a new build now so it might be a while.
"
sherkhan wrote:
What's the new setup?

Working on a Facebreakers shield charge/counters HoA ignite build as third 85 in torment. Works okay so far (75), not spectacular either - gear is shit though so that might be a part of it. Scaling through high maps will probably be pretty bad. Already growing a bit tired of it. Tempted to try something with Dom Blow again next, pm me if you got whacky ideas in that department (or any other really).
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Jan 19, 2015, 8:45:46 AM
Major update in progess. New videos to come soon
new video up, more details on the new variation added
Large update and new video. This is going on reddit later today

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info