GamingRendo's 1.3 Tanky Fire Trapper Bloodlines (EB+MOM+IR+AA)

Hey Exiles! GamingRendo here with my first build guide for PoE. This is a Fire Trap Templar build that is incredibly tanky, cheap to gear, with insane solo clear speed, and solid group clear speed. We utilize dual curses and elemental equilibrium for near instant melting of packs.

Unfortunately I ripped to a bonehead move on my part by not checking a Bloodline Mod and a lag spike prevented me from instant potting as I stood in a pack of 10-15 storm bearer explosions. Don't let that rip sway you though. This is a VERY good, newbie friendly build.

I'll be updating this to be more thorough in the next few days as well as maintaining it for future patches as long as it's skill tree viable. I'll also answer questions for those that have any.

Play style

The play style of this build is straight forward.

1. Throw Fire Trap
2. Shoot Ball Lightning for curses/EE
3. Watch everything die.

For anything that doesn't die instantly, set your Searing Bond down behind them and run around repeating steps 1-3 until they do.

There aren't many monsters that will chunk you hard. You can face tank a lot of monsters. There are multiple screenshots below facetanking Merciless Vaal, Merciless Kole and Merciless Dominus, though I don't recommend actually doing it. :P

You can drop Herald of Thunder if you'd like more unreserved mana for extra survivability. I personally find Herald of Thunder to be a great addition to this build. The added lightning damage to your Fire Trap and shock chance from tree proc shocks fairly often, which proliferates for some added burning damage, and the Herald of Thunder effect will add some extra damage and proc EE.

Pros and Cons

Pros

* Tanky (Can facetank a lot of trash)
* Cheap
* Insane Solo clear speed
* Good group clear speed (Can carry 2-3man in 73-75 Maps)
* Can do most Map Mods

Cons

* No Clever Construction so traps being destroyed is annoying
* Slow until ~Level 50-60
* Gem locations can be specific
* Immune to Curses crushes DPS
* Fire Resistance slows clear speed

Stats

* Level 84
* 4272 HP
* 2722 Mana/722 Unreserved
* 4509 Armour
* 24% Chance to Block
* 171 Life Regen
* 339.6 Mana Regen
* Fire Trap DPS 3567.5
* Searing Bond DPS 5394.8
Offensive Stat Screenshot

Defensive Stat Screenshot

Bandits

* Normal Help Oak
* Cruel Kill All
* Merciless Kill All

Current Gear + Gem Links

Fit your gems where you can but I found it best to use the following setup.

AR/ES or ES or EV/ES Chest

Fire Trap:
4L: Fire Trap + Chance to Ignite + Fire Penetration + Elemental Proliferation
5L: Fire Trap + Chance to Ignite + Fire Penetration + Elemental Proliferation + Concentrated Effect
6L: Fire Trap + Chance to Ignite + Fire Penetration + Elemental Proliferation + Concentrated Effect + Increased Area of Effect/Increased Burning Damage/Empower

AR/ES or ES Helmet

4L: Ball Lightning LVL 1 + Curse on Hit + Flammability + Elemental Weakness

Windscream Boots

4L: CWDT LVL 6 + Enduring Cry LVL 8 + Immortal Call LVL 7 + Increased Duration

AR/ES or EV/ES or ES Shield

3L: Lightning Warp + Reduced Duration + Faster Casting

Any Gloves 2B1G1R

4L: Reduced Mana + Grace + Herald of Thunder + Clarity

Wand/Dagger/Sceptre

3L: Arctic Armour + Searing Bond + Increased Burning Damage

Belt

Rings

Amulet

Flasks

Rip Screenshot, YAY LAG

Tanky Showcase Pics

Merciless Vaal No Granite No Enfeeble 3 Smashes

Merciless Kole No Granite No Enfeeble 2 Smashes

Merciless Dominus No Granite No Enfeeble 2 Light of Divinity 1 TOG???
Last edited by GamingRendo on Dec 31, 2014, 10:51:20 AM
Ooh man. I like how tanky this build is compared to the other firetrap/flameblast builds around the forums without needing a fucking expensive Cloak of defiance. Gonna try out this build since my arcer ripped last night. Really looking forward to seeing this build work.

Oh and have a happy new year :D
Thanks to Tigraugre46 for my beta key!
"
Diggory wrote:
Ooh man. I like how tanky this build is compared to the other firetrap/flameblast builds around the forums without needing a fucking expensive Cloak of defiance. Gonna try out this build since my arcer ripped last night. Really looking forward to seeing this build work.

Oh and have a happy new year :D

That's what I enjoyed about it. Ideally you'd want to get a Cloak to free up a lot of passives, or even run a Lightning Coil, but for the "budget" version it's not needed. Most of my gear was self found + master crafted. I paid 12c for the Windscreams, 12c for the shield. 5 Chaos for the 5L chest and rolled it in a few chaos and 3c for one of the rings and I crafted life on it.

Happy New Years to you too!
So I bought a cheap carcass jack for 20c and 6 socketed in 10 jewelers... hoping I can 5L it with the same amount of luck

Also I'm lv40 atm and was wondering did you go up to the witch part of the tree first or did you go down to get IR and MoM
Thanks to Tigraugre46 for my beta key!
"
Diggory wrote:
So I bought a cheap carcass jack for 20c and 6 socketed in 10 jewelers... hoping I can 5L it with the same amount of luck

Also I'm lv40 atm and was wondering did you go up to the witch part of the tree first or did you go down to get IR and MoM

I still need to write up the level tree breakdown but I rushed IR and had that at ~Level 40-45, and then I rushed EB. I didn't take MOM until after I had about 400-500 unreserved mana which was probably near Level 60-65 in Act 3 Merciless.
Why Ball lightning and not arc for curse on hit setup?
"
scalymanfish wrote:
Why Ball lightning and not arc for curse on hit setup?

Ball Lightning has a lower mana cost (Level 1) and in most cases curses the majority of the pack. Arc would need to be leveled to gain its chain bonus and could potentially chain back to the original target and would need a few casts for the majority of the pack. We want most of the pack cursed and hit for EE. You can use Arc if that's your preferred style though, it serves the same purpose.

Just showed someone this thread, but there's still no leveling guide. C'mon Rendo. :P
Aura Reservation Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
Tired of using GGG's crappy skill planner? Tell them here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1555283
Last edited by MosesXIII on Jan 9, 2015, 2:47:23 AM
"
MosesXIII wrote:
Just showed someone this thread, but there's still no leveling guide. C'mon Rendo. :P

On the weekend. /insidejoke
Leveled up and playing the build and i can definitely see the reason ball is used over arc now. Also a note that projectile speed on your weapon makes Ball Lightning WAY more convenient to use to get the curse out. Not that its a stat i'd specifically look out for, but its definitely convenient to have.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info