[2.0 updated] Shmizz's hardcore perma-freeze guide

Btw, schmizz, have you ripped yet? and to what? if you have not, can we get tooltip and gear update?
"
xAgility wrote:
With power charges yes. My tree is just like you've recommended it for the level I am at.
I have 4l GMP > Ice Spear > PCoC > Spell echo. I have the pierce nodes but if I add cold pen to a 5l that means I'd need a 6l to get in the pierce?

I've been doing 66 and 67 maps and my clear speed is really subpar. It takes forever to kill some magi packs, especially the ones resistant to cold damage or elemental damage.

I am using a mace as a weapon with 89% spell crit, 65% spell damage and 17% cast speed, cloak of defiance, mana regen accesories and a saffels frame.

What exactly do you mean by "really subpar", what level are you, and what level are your gems? I started doing maps at 64 or 65 with a 4-link and it only ever took one or two volleys of spears to kill any white mob (except the extremely tanky ones like giant statues/skeletons and devourers). Once my gems hit level 16 blue packs were dying in around 5 or 6 volleys unless they were capped on cold res, then it took longer. the rare mobs that weren't dangerous died extremely fast because i would just shotgun them with gmp, but the ones that had sub phys or powerful crits i would use my single target ice spear on and perma freeze them so it took a while longer.
How to make currency in Path of Exile, a comprehensive guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ig9_8XjC8
"
Mongorajan wrote:
Btw, schmizz, have you ripped yet? and to what? if you have not, can we get tooltip and gear update?

yeah :| unfortunately I did die. It was just to my own stupidity. I was doing a zana daily and found a room full phylacteral link shield chargers so I couldn't freeze them, they all charged me and got me really low, so i popped all my life flasks then opened a portal to go back and refill my flasks, but I forgot I was doing a zana daily so when I exited to her map room my pots didn't refill. I didn't notice my pots were still empty so I went back into the map, they all hit me again and I couldn't heal and I was too slow on the logout. I died at level 81 I think. My gear was almost exactly the same, I just replaced my chest with a slightly better rare with more life/resists and 5-linked it. My tooltip on my gmp ice spear was around 3.5k and the single target was around 5k the last time i checked, though I don't really ever pay attention to tooltip dps so I may be misremembering.
I'm level 69 and almost 70 and I agree that the deeps seems lacking. And on top of that I feel super squishy... almost not even comfortable starting maps because clearing places like the Library seems like such a chore.

My gear isnt that great though
Spoiler

I might just roll another toon rather than risk losing my stuff

EDIT* with some stats:

Life: 3615
Mana Regen: 194.8
Mana: 2374

Tooltip Dps without the 6charges:

GMP linked icespear is 1452dps
Single Target is 2621

And another Edit**: Just ripped in Dried Lake at 71 to a Rhoa stun...
Last edited by crowdog on Dec 31, 2014, 12:59:01 AM
I am 73 atm with a build sort of like this, except more Templar heavy avoiding going into pierce nodes, and avoiding all power charges til the very end. I am rocking a 5 link with pierce instead. We will see how it treats me. Almost ripped to a hunter quest with a big tail whipping poisoning dude :O. Onward we go!

3357 life
2400 ice arrow - no single target one.

Ill update this when I R.I.P. Bound to happen with all the rip talk around here.

My game stopped responding, when I restarted and logged back in it turned out I died at 75. I was around 4k health, and having relatively good success with my variation of build. A damn shame.

I am level 53 now making a glacial cascade build. Rest in Pepperonis
Last edited by Heldagrif on Jan 7, 2015, 6:30:37 PM
If you want to go with cloak of defiance, how should you build your passive skill tree then? Is there some things you should aim for, like even more mana?
Hi Shmizz, very interesting build.

Anyway Im doing something like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QIHpf6zAuNXK0myvYIsnG0ZBUIQWAj0QZavm8BUrrPQ9WpDvOpMs1Aw214RD0wtrJgUsHRVOlj314IeXypVxpuhiELbC4Pbj0bBxR0Uf8bsGI5k-tJ-WRGWL52P-vemZp4WbwceDkgW8-v18NW2-sAaFkAkquNqlS7jhGNDXfImPGSdSVFxhRo4hX026TY9cNVCw_Id8xGQVZ2qidPfhLFCJy9irGyMcFIC_jmK7DgqC4w2MJeCm_PqVUtG15o7YeLhc-08JpWiANWmFr_wHwSzaPLAZnwOp1VboEPITwQ=

I believe You have more experience so I need ask you. How you can compare those 2 builds? Your and this which I paste here? Im still on low lvl so cant say anything about my tree... .

For sure you have that pierce nodes...
"
lenner wrote:
If you want to go with cloak of defiance, how should you build your passive skill tree then? Is there some things you should aim for, like even more mana?

The skill tree at the end game is mostly rigid, however a few points are flexible. If you feel like you need more mitigation from your cloak you could drop some ele damage nodes and go for mana/mana regen instead or you could keep the build the same. you could also pick up some reduced mana reservation nodes, although they are a little far away. for the most part you need all the points to stay the same though, like the pierce nodes and the scion life wheel and the crit nodes.
"
Unk_Particle wrote:
How you can compare those 2 builds?

Your build is definitely a possible variant to mine. You miss out on the freeze duration nodes as well as some of the cold penetration, but you get penetration from the templar side so you don't miss too much. your build would be probably a little less safe because without the freeze nodes you might have a hard time perma freezing tough rares and bosses. Without the pierce nodes you'll either have to run the pierce gem and hope your spears pierce or you'd have to run chain which I think is really terrible. If you don't run either pierce or chain you'll only really ever hit 5 enemies at a time with your ice spear(which i assume is GMP) which makes for really low effective dps, no matter how hard you're hitting. With that being said you could definitely make this build work, especially if you have a 20/20 pierce gem which is 74% on its own.
Ok.

Can I ask why you not take "Fingers of Frost" Nodes? Some special reason?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info