Armor Scaling in 0.9.3

I heard it was going to be less gear reliant or not such a steeper diminishing returns slope, will this be attainable after level one in 0.9.3?

I know this might be a little silly to ask since evasion wont mean the same thing but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

This is a little boast, I wonder how far I could have gone without using flasks
Last edited by flashpoint on Nov 3, 2011, 5:14:56 AM
Nice damage mitigation!
Softcore(default) A quiet night at home with some lotion and some internet p0rn.

Hardcore a series of wild one night stands with any hot trashy girl you can find(no protection!)

One is safe and boring the other is adrenaline filled and exciting and might kill you!

Dont be safe and boring.
Armor mechanics are all new in 0.9.3. Your damage reduction from armor scales not just by your armor rating but also by the damage you're dealt. The result is that you get high damage reduction (as a percentage of damage dealt) for small hits and low damage reduction for large hits.

Actual values, requirements, and balancing are still very much in flux in the alpha build based on tester feedback. At this point it's tough to say where those numbers will end up by the time the patch hits beta.
Forum Sheriff
Any insight on how 'small' and 'large' hits are determined? is a level 10 Brutus always gonna hit 'large' because he's special no matter your level?
It's an equation so damage reduction scales continuously. Higher armor rating increases damage reduction while more damage reduces it so the important metric becomes the damage:armor ratio for any particular hit.

For example, normal difficulty Brutus may be dishing out a lot of damage relative to your armor rating and therefore you may only mitigate ~10% of his damage. If you decide at level 50 to go back and fight him his attacks will be dealing very little damage relative to your armor rating so you may mitigate 50% of his damage. Those numbers were completely made up.

Also note that unlike in 0.9.2, character and monster level is no longer included in the damage reduction calculation. It's purely based on your stats.
Forum Sheriff
Last edited by tpapp157 on Nov 3, 2011, 5:48:17 PM
flashpoint, if you're bored between now and 0.9.3 maybe try to get as far as you can killing only the enemies you need to kill (Hillock, Brutus, Merveil, Kraityn, Alira, Oak).

My hardcore pacifist is in Act 2 Cruel with only a few extra bandits killed around Alira. I think with your gear you could get to Ruthless :D
And as it is such so also as such is it unto you
"
tpapp157 wrote:
It's an equation so damage reduction scales continuously. Higher armor rating increases damage reduction while more damage reduces it so the important metric becomes the damage:armor ratio for any particular hit.

For example, normal difficulty Brutus may be dishing out a lot of damage relative to your armor rating and therefore you may only mitigate ~10% of his damage. If you decide at level 50 to go back and fight him his attacks will be dealing very little damage relative to your armor rating so you may mitigate 50% of his damage. Those numbers were completely made up.

Also note that unlike in 0.9.2, character and monster level is no longer included in the damage reduction calculation. It's purely based on your stats.

I wonder how this is shown in the character stat summary.
Sounds like its being changed to -X damage flat + a smaller amount of % damage reduction.

IE 100 armour gives -20 damage and -30% DR.

Or it could be -50-90% DR for the first X damage and 10-40%DR for the rest.
Last edited by kotli on Nov 4, 2011, 1:08:12 PM
"
siis wrote:
I wonder how this is shown in the character stat summary.
It will probably be shown in the same general way it is in 0.9.2. You'll have a damage reduction estimate based on an average enemy of your level.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info