Computer illiterate needs help: Can this computer run PoE?

"
DarkWestern wrote:
Try simply running PoE lol

/thread

Didn't read the whole OP, didja? =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
The only official stated system requirement is that your graphics card supports shader model 3, and it appears that you 6150 does support SM3.

So technically it should run the game.

However, being an onboard graphics solution, and a pretty old one at that, it will most likely struggle to run the game smoothly.

The rest of the PC should be able to handle PoE pretty well.

Your motherboard appears to have PCI Express x16 slot. So you should be able to just plop a new graphics card in there.
I'd recommend sticking with a relatively budget graphics card, for two reasons:

- Your 300W power supply probably won't be able to handle a high-end graphics card.
- Your system would be limited by the speed of your CPU and ram, meaning you wouldn't get the extra benefit of a high-end graphics card.

"
Malice wrote:
The only official stated system requirement is that your graphics card supports shader model 3, and it appears that you 6150 does support SM3.

So technically it should run the game.

However, being an onboard graphics solution, and a pretty old one at that, it will most likely struggle to run the game smoothly.

The rest of the PC should be able to handle PoE pretty well.

Your motherboard appears to have PCI Express x16 slot. So you should be able to just plop a new graphics card in there.
I'd recommend sticking with a relatively budget graphics card, for two reasons:

- Your 300W power supply probably won't be able to handle a high-end graphics card.
- Your system would be limited by the speed of your CPU and ram, meaning you wouldn't get the extra benefit of a high-end graphics card.

Whoah! Do we have great mods, or what?

Thanks for the additional feedback, Malice!

Now, since I'm pretty much what you'd call a computer noob (despite having used the machines for years), I'm gonna ask a few more questions, just to be sure I know what to do next...

Am I looking for a mention of SM3 in the specs for the graphics card, and is there anything else I ought to know before selecting one? You mention going budget, which is always fine by me, but will price (relative within a range of models) be my only determinant? Looked at another way, is there anything besides price which would indicate that a graphics card is gonna be more than my PC can handle?

Also (and please don't laugh; I'm very literal-minded), when you say "Your motherboard appears to have PCI Express x16 slot. So you should be able to just plop a new graphics card in there" Do you mean in addition to the existing card, or instead of, in which case, wouldn't I be using the same slot (unless that's what you meant)?

Once I know exactly what I'm looking for, I should be able to get things up and running, assuming I dun wreck the machine by fumbling around inside it, looking for the current graphics card. I figger I have at least until the 14th (Beta deployment of 0.9.3, according to Chris' current schedule), so I can take it slow and careful.

Thanks muchly for all the useful sugestions, folks! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Am I looking for a mention of SM3 in the specs for the graphics card, and is there anything else I ought to know before selecting one? You mention going budget, which is always fine by me, but will price (relative within a range of models) be my only determinant? Looked at another way, is there anything besides price which would indicate that a graphics card is gonna be more than my PC can handle?

Any card released in the last 5 years will support SM3. You'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't.
For the most part, graphics cards are priced based loosely on their performance. I'd say anything more than $100 US would probably be overkill.
I'm not really a guru though, I'm just taking a stab.

Something like a 6670 might be worth a look, it does not require additional power connector (most cards do). A few benchmarks here.

edit: the trickiest thing is the power requirements. The 300W power supply is the main limitation - if it cannot supply enough power, the card will either not function at all, or you may experience unexplained crashes and instability.

"
Also (and please don't laugh; I'm very literal-minded), when you say "Your motherboard appears to have PCI Express x16 slot. So you should be able to just plop a new graphics card in there" Do you mean in addition to the existing card, or instead of, in which case, wouldn't I be using the same slot (unless that's what you meant)?

Your current 6150 isn't a "card" per se. It's what's known as onboard graphics, which is basically just a chip on the motherboard. It doesn't occupy the PCIe 16x slot, which should be empty if you look inside the case. It is likely that putting a graphics card in there will automatically disable the onboard one, but you might have to manually disable the onboard graphics if it's not automatically disabled.
Last edited by Malice on Nov 3, 2011, 7:37:09 AM
"
Malice wrote:
"

Any card released in the last 5 years will support SM3. You'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't.
For the most part, graphics cards are priced based loosely on their performance. I'd say anything more than $100 US would probably be overkill.
I'm not really a guru though, I'm just taking a stab.

Something like a 6670 might be worth a look, it does not require additional power connector (most cards do). A few benchmarks here.

edit: the trickiest thing is the power requirements. The 300W power supply is the main limitation - if it cannot supply enough power, the card will either not function at all, or you may experience unexplained crashes and instability.

"

Your current 6150 isn't a "card" per se. It's what's known as onboard graphics, which is basically just a chip on the motherboard. It doesn't occupy the PCIe 16x slot, which should be empty if you look inside the case. It is likely that putting a graphics card in there will automatically disable the onboard one, but you might have to manually disable the onboard graphics if it's not automatically disabled.

Once again, thanks for the info. Not having to hook up a separate power connector would be a definite plus. Physically disabling the onboard graphics sounds like a challenge, though, should it become necessary.

Any actual gurus out there have an opinion to add, before I start moving on this? =^[.]^=
"
drakenoog wrote:
A newer graphic card & just adding 1 gig ram always does wounders i find :)

Don't waste your money on the RAM. 32 bit windows has 32 bits of addressable memory, this includes video, sound and others. RAM gets what's left, which is usually about 3 GB. While the OS "supports" another GB, it usually can't address it and it goes unused.
My recommendation would be to buy a new machine. I know it may be unrealistic to suggest, but what you have there is a real weak dated bargain basement machine.

Your best bet? Learn to build your own, which in turn will help you troubleshoot/fix/repair/replace components when you have troubles or just want to upgrade.

Here's a great guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html

It's really easy these days, like building a basic lego set. And it's much cheaper than buying a kick-ass rig from a company.
Last edited by aurisacra on Nov 3, 2011, 1:03:02 PM
"
jjscud wrote:
"
drakenoog wrote:
A newer graphic card & just adding 1 gig ram always does wounders i find :)

Don't waste your money on the RAM. 32 bit windows has 32 bits of addressable memory, this includes video, sound and others. RAM gets what's left, which is usually about 3 GB. While the OS "supports" another GB, it usually can't address it and it goes unused.

aa your so true about that , my memory of that info was fogged in my brain i must say ^^

So Raycheetah just go for getting a budget graphic card. And you will be fine :)

look around , and when you find something , just link it here and will help you check out if your powersupply will handle it =)

Yours

Democatai "Lurk / Chakaty"
http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
*Bows to all.*

Many thanks to everyone for their input. Since I'm not up to getting (or building!) a new machine just to play PoE (sacrilege, I know), the info has been a big help, and also a sign of the helpfulness of the Beta side of the community. I'm in Beta, but not having played yet, I still kinda feel like a noob probationer, and a little out of place until I've cut my teeth on the game, and the help and encouragement dispel some of that.

So, I'll be looking for a graphics card (any opinions on the 6670 Malice suggested?), and then we'll see what's what.

Once this machine is PoE-functional, I have an even feebler, older machine I'll be posting about, which will enable my wife and me both to play, together (which is the ultimate goal, once I get another key for her). I only hope that one has what is needed to do the job without too much expense and effort. =^[.]^=
Hey there, got the message and I just want to say I am no pro. My graphics, nVidia 8400GS GeForce can barely run this, I am not exactly what graphics card I am going to get probably one around the £50 - £100 price range.

If you are looking for a card, look at sites like www.scan.co.uk (For UK) as they have competitive prices. I am looking for one with at least 512mb vram and 1600ghz+.

I am not the best person to ask really, I recommend just looking for the best card in your price range and see ratings from various sites.

Hope this helps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info