Weapon Elemental Damage Passive + Added Fire Damage Support Gem

Ok I'm using attack skills like Infernal blow, Heavy Strike and Ground Slam, mostly I use Infernal blow. I always use the support gem added fire damage. My weapon has no elemental damage on it whatsoever BUT the added fire damage support gem is connected to my attack skill. If I get weapon elemental damage passives such as Catalyze will my damage be boosted because of the combo of the fire support with the passive on an attack skill or will I see no increase?
yes.

weapon elemental damage (eitehr passive or the support) will boost the elemental part of the linked weapon attack by that much regardless of the actual source of that elemental.

so it will boost the damage from auras, the damage from items (like weapons or rings giving +x-y damage), damage from linked support gems and ofc the inherent elemental damage of the skill used.

keep in mind though that the actual calculation is a bit weird:

lets say that you have an aura that adds 10 fire damage, heavy strike that deals base damage of 50 and a 20% added fire support.
lets say that you have from passives and strength +40% physical damage, from passives 50% weapon elemental damage, and another +10% fire damage.

the actual calculation would be:
physical: 50 * 1,4 = 70
fire damage from gem: 50*[0,2(the conversion)]*[1+0,4+0,5+0,1] = 20
fire damage from aura: 10*[1+0,5+0,1] = 16
for a total of 106 damage, 36 of which is fire.

without the catalyze passives the damage would have been:
for a total of 96 damage, 26 of which are fire.

as you see, because of the way multipliers work, getting +50% weapon elemental damage wont actually boost your damage by that much, but by a lesser margin depending on how much you raise said damage already via other passives.
Ok so for my purposes (infernal blow with added fire gem and anger aura) 10% elemental damage on weapon passive is better than the 8% elemental damage (general, not on wep) or 5% elemental damage ones.. And as long as im not using any spells if i want to dabble in ele damage passives i should stick to the weapon related ones around templar tree since I will get more damage out of them?
"
Ok so for my purposes (infernal blow with added fire gem and anger aura) 10% elemental damage on weapon passive is better than the 8% elemental damage (general, not on wep) or 5% elemental damage ones.. And as long as im not using any spells if i want to dabble in ele damage passives i should stick to the weapon related ones around templar tree since I will get more damage out of them?

for pure IB dps 10%weapon elemental damage would be the best if you are also running anger (or some other elemental damage aura) or if you have some +x-y fire damage equipment

if you dont have the above the best would have been +10% physical damage since that would buff both the elemental part and the physical part of IB.

but since you are playing an elemental damage templar it is safe to assume you are running equip with elemental damages/auras either way.

BUT

the second part of IB, the corpse explosion thingy, is only affected by general +elemental damage and +fire damage. neither weapon damage bonus nor spell damage bonuses affect it, but nearby the templar tree you could easily pick +59% fire/elemental bonuses and with a 20% sceptre that would boost the explosion from 20% of the mobs life to 35%. All those bonuses will still apply to the elemental side of the main IB damage too. 20->35 actually means that in a given clustered group you will only have to kill 3 mobs instead of 5 to do enough damage through the explosion to kill them all
Last edited by zetiss on Feb 8, 2013, 6:31:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info