[1.3] Tanky CI Static Smasher

Hi to everyone.
This is my first build, so I hope you enjoy it. I wanted to try my first tank build, and suddenly, a few days ago, I found a 5L Incandescent Heart (I think it was a boss map drop, but not sure). I tried to search for a build around that. Everything I found had crit. on it, but I played a crit dagger and a crit shadow this season, so I wanted something else. I had a mid level char based on block. Since block chance is getting nerfed now, I wanted to rebuild that character. That is how this build came to light.

Remarks
Spoiler

- Chaos Inoculation
- Resolute Technique
- Ghost Reaver
- Zealot's Oath
- Unwavering Stance
- 1h Mace
- Armour/ES
- Aegis Aurora, +23% block chance, aprox 15% spellblock
- Templar/Witch/Marauder
- Not cheap, nor expensive (around 10 exalts with everything, 5 would totally do it)

The Tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUATwRDyHFNms9DY2jyr2xr2f_TNI46nYY7JIsU9j0PfLsGOcT2Otj7qnKpJ-3sOPMG9zIZLoKbKU-ePFFg6hh82dlh5CKMdlHmhVJXDRpstzF3U7Qvm2rxrJ2u98HAGjs7ITSLTykupwiexUE_KCp8uNgkl3kaPjbF5FF-4vIvXz8fAp5XeTkEBx6U6dVMs37gLR9CS4TEHU-VIIXFe4w1ucHz374RUKcrgh5tGYhC2VuX9MHFHdkbJVJT7Bgsv0NUS649X4_6hq70cekC0NAV19-KRwZWY9vnX2q0xTqtb4T_HJ7NpzCfyw==

Note: Since 1.3 isn't here yet, you'll have to use POE Skill Tree Planner in order to see the tree.

Notes on tree:
Spoiler
- Resistances: Tree gives you 47% increased elemental resists. If you overcap your resists with gear, take those nodes away and get some phys damage, life regen, freeze chance, or whatever you feel.
- A lv 20 Glacial Hammer will give you a 26% chance to freeze, no matter if you crit (which you don't). In tree, you have aditional 5%. If you feel 31% is not enough, only 3 nodes away (templar left zone) you have another 5% node (Celestial Punishment), and a cold damage wheel which gives you another 10% at the cost of 4 nodes. This, of course, comes at the cost of damage. If you're not using Concentrated Effect, you can get 3 nodes back taking off the area inc. radius

Gems
Spoiler
Main Attack
Spoiler

4L:

5L/6L:

You can play around with these until you find your best output.

Mobility
Spoiler
on a 3L

Defense
Spoiler
You can take Faster Casting and add a trigger gem, such as cast when stunned or cast when damage taken, but I prefer to trigger this myself. I'm not sure how would a Spell Echo work with this, but I encourage you to try!

Auras
Spoiler
If you wish, you can swap to a more agressive display, like Hatred or Haste. Here goes Clarity, if you have mana issues, which I don't (yet).

Herald:
Spoiler
This goes in your Catalyst, if you have one.

Extra:
Spoiler

Here you can put whatever you like. I like Freeze Mine for strongboxes. This setup would fit perfectly on a Rime Gaze helm, if you have it (free conc. effect 5L)

Gear
Spoiler

Helmet:
Highest ES possible. Also some elemental resistance would be nice. Rime Gaze is not expensive and would be a nice add-on.

Chest:

The base of the build. 25% of elemental damage is ignored. What else can you ask? Well... Higher ES would be nice too, but you can't just have everything...

Weapon:

Attack Speed, nice phys dmg, nice elemental damage. I think a good rare mace can do better, but I don't have any, so, until the day comes...

Shield:

The best would be Aegis Aurora, but I don't have one now, so, this AR+ES+Res helps.
Aegis Aurora would refill your ES every time you block, which is great.

Belt:

Adds up some damage, armour, and good resistances.
Or a rare with high ES and res.
If you don't have another way to deal with freezing (dream fragments, wanderlust, flasks), then Auxium is mandatory. It gives nice ES as well.

Boots:

Nice ES, nice speed, spellblock, resistances...

Gloves: Go for Attack Speed and resists.

Amulet:

10% chance to block. That's all. If you refill your ES everytime you block, you WANT to block. Much more needed since the nerf to block %. If you're still having trouble with spells, Stone of Lazhwar is an option, better if you find a spell block corrupted one.

Rings: This is where you round your resistances up. So, go for as much %res as you can. Flat phys dmg is nice as well. %inc ES is better.

From all this, the only 100% necessary is Incandescent Heart and Aegis Aurora (which I'm buying ASAP). The rest is up to you. I just added some uniques I had and I thought would work ok.

-_-_-_-

My_Character

Finally, I started my own char with this build. Lv 75 currently. Had some issues levelig from 65 to 70, since I couldn't use Incandescent Heart yet, but nothing I couldn't deal with.

Gear

Weapon

Helm

Can't complain about this. High ES, high armour... Soon I won't be needing the cold res, so I'll craft something else... I'll see.

Shield

If you ask, I'd like a legacy one, but I'm ok with this one.

Armour

As you can see, I swapped Glacial Hammer for Static Strike. It's just OP.

Amulet

Gloves

Not the best ones I could have gotten, but works. I should craft flat ES on them ASAP.

Belt

This should bee upgraded for an Auxium or a lightning variation.

Boots

The Arctic Armour is only leveling for another char. There's no way I could stand the mana cost. I added Tempest Shield for additional block chance.

Rings

Res cap, some ES, there's no much to say.

Stats

Static Strike:

Defense:
http://s2.subirimagenes.com/imagen/9223037def.png

Even when it looks weak (in both dps and def stats), I'm running 74 maps with no problems. ES regen, Aegis Aurora refill, Immortal Call and Vaal Discipline keep me alive 100% of situations. Only died once since lv 70, with map Piety.

Some Final Words

Finally tried it. It's really tanky. I can stand in the face of map voidbearers doing nothing and wait for them to die from reckoning and Anvil+Tempest Shield reflect. Any questions or suggestions are welcome. I don't think I'm making a level-up guide to this. There are plenty of them in forums (Searing Bond, Facebreaker, etc.). Finally, I've seen some people using other BBCode functions, such as colours and align, but I wasn't able to do so. Do you need to be a supporter or something like that?
Good luck to everyone.
Last edited by Rodrux on Dec 31, 2014, 8:22:13 PM
Hey, wanna give an advice as a melee dream fragment or auxium is mandatory or you gona be freeze everytime, even with a remove potion it Will probably not be enough, but the idea from the chest is really great! Im on my phone so can't the tree ill do it later, but great idea, even if the hp on the chest is wasted

Sorry for my english im french!
Eusyris << guilde fr recrutement invasion whispez ing: SerjointxDX
"
sercan95 wrote:
Hey, wanna give an advice as a melee dream fragment or auxium is mandatory or you gona be freeze everytime, even with a remove potion it Will probably not be enough, but the idea from the chest is really great! Im on my phone so can't the tree ill do it later, but great idea, even if the hp on the chest is wasted

Sorry for my english im french!

Thx for the feedback!
I've been running a CI witch and freezing is not a problem with a remove freeze potion. Maybe the reason why I forgot about that is that my original idea was to use an Alpha's Howl. A few minutes later, I remembered I was gonna need a lot of ES and Alpha's only gave me EV. You're right. Auxium is mandatory. It's there as a recommendation, but it is mandatory. I realize now. Thanks.

PS: Your english is ok for forums standards, don't worry. I'm not from an english-speaking country either.
so i just took a look at your tree, why didn't begin witch ? you will save 2 point ( the one at the begining of templar are pretty useless for you)
then isn't it better to just go crit and focus on the right side of the tree instead of travel all the tree to take mace node, you are using 13 node to take some armor and unwavering stance, may insteand use a eye of chayula too,
anyway it would be nice if you can post there how is it going, i alraedy tried to mmake something with this chest and ended without even the chance to try it ^^
good luck with ur build !
Eusyris << guilde fr recrutement invasion whispez ing: SerjointxDX
- I am going to start as a marauder, and I'm not taking those nodes. But I wanted the build to be available for the 3 classes (mara, templar, witch) and the templar was the one in the middle, so...

- As I said, I'm a bit tired of crits.

- Anvil or Stone of Lazhwar + Unwavering Stance have a better output than Eye of Chayula

- Those 13 nodes give me most of my defense. 64% increased armour, 15% to all resists, 6% block chance, 1% regen (this build uses regen), and some stuff more (shield def, melee dmg, and some strength). I was taking those armor nodes anyways, so Unwavering Stance seemed like a nice choice.

- My first idea for this build was a crit dagger, but I can't get enough armour nodes that way. And using most AR+ES gear without armour nodes is not the best option. If Acrobatics wasn't nerfed, I'd totally go for Block+Dagger+Crit+Acrobatics, but since the nerf, you can't stack acrobatics and block chance.

- Taking templar's Ar+Es nodes helps a lot, so not going templar is not my best chance.

- I even tried making a scion build with some mara/duelist and some shadow/witch, but I ended up with far less damage and far less armour. I'm sure this is viable somehow, but I couldn't figure it out.
Hi your build seems very unique and interesting! i made some adjustment to your skill tree, with zealot's oath i don' t think you need node for ES delay, for the price of 7 % spell block you save 2 point and get more ES (157%) and more armor (248%), also 2 more endurance for better handle physical damage :)

here the version for poe builder: https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUATwRDyHFNms9DY2jyr2xM_zwtxq63PkGH-eiCxyj6V8kNfOq6a9k0joY7_9M6ncWKfLs62C3S7DiCm548jHa3McT2cqn3MnzZKU_kIhps98G0DJMnHNx_xsHFLL-GrhXXVmPviPk3189JsewYj_rQ0EcG2-dfajQKN2am6zeD8NVJUVWpl7RqASftGS7ZYVcNkc7SIZ7NpzCfy_GsKS58uBo-8i_p1X7ieTmFUptqi08oKpd55FGeV3Z_fuCExHuMBjkki_uq8wZRYLTF_xxvhDqtLKZBPyE0tC9R5uoYnsV3Uzs7
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
Last edited by crazyjake on Dec 12, 2014, 4:47:22 PM
"
crazyjake wrote:
Hi your build seems very unique and interesting! i made some adjustment to your skill tree, with zealot's oath i don' t think you need node for ES delay, for the price of 7 % spell block you save 2 point and get more ES (157%) and more armor (248%), also 2 more endurance for better handle physical damage :)

here the version for poe builder: https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUATwRDyHFNms9DY2jyr2xM_zwtxq63PkGH-eiCxyj6V8kNfOq6a9k0joY7_9M6ncWKfLs62C3S7DiCm548jHa3McT2cqn3MnzZKU_kIhps98G0DJMnHNx_xsHFLL-GrhXXVmPviPk3189JsewYj_rQ0EcG2-dfajQKN2am6zeD8NVJUVWpl7RqASftGS7ZYVcNkc7SIZ7NpzCfy_GsKS58uBo-8i_p1X7ieTmFUptqi08oKpd55FGeV3Z_fuCExHuMBjkki_uq8wZRYLTF_xxvhDqtLKZBPyE0tC9R5uoYnsV3Uzs7

I did some testing with my build, but while thinking to switch to yours. And I found something interesting. With 100%+ faster start of ES, Immortal Call will trigger it, regenerating 1500+ ES/sec. This way, Immortal Call will fully recharge my life. Besides, I don't even get 3 charges on every cast, so more charges are not that important.
Added my character's stats and gear.
would this build work as low life?
"
KingSeagoe wrote:
would this build work as low life?

No.

Incandescent Heart only provides tangible benefits to CI characters. If you were able to max out chaos resist to 75% in Merc w/ Incandescent Heart you'd take the same amount damage as you would without IH. If your chaos resist is lower than 75%, IH actually INCREASES the amount of total damage you take when hit by elemental damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info