Item level and affix chances

Hello all,
(Please, I did search for this topic and could not find it.)

So I understand how item level determines what affixes are POSSIBLE on an item. What I'm wondering is whether item level affects the CHANCES of rolling affixes OTHER than just determining what CAN roll. Does increasing item level increase the probability of the best affixes to roll?

For example, say I want to craft a weapon. "Tyrannical", the highest physical damage scaling affix, supposedly requires an item level of 73. Would I improve my odds of rolling Tyrannical by crafting on a, say, item level 77 weapon? Or does any weapon item level 73 and above have an equal probability of rolling Tyrannical?

Basically, I'm wondering because I want to do crafting, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get some ridiculously high item level base item (80+ from some "of Ascendance" chest on a high level map) to maximize my chances of rolling the best mods.
"
Does increasing item level increase the probability of the best affixes to roll?

no

"
does any weapon item level 73 and above have an equal probability of rolling Tyrannical?

yes
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Thanks! I was hoping that was the case... would have been pretty annoying if it wasn't.
The only reason to get a higher item level would be so it can also roll the highest flat physical mod 'Flaring', which requires ilvl 77.
Different mods have different lvl requirements with most being 72-79 for the top tier. People like to use 79+ ilvl base items for crafting so they can be sure it can roll each and every mod possible on that base item without having to remember the specific ilvl required for a specific mod.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
Ludvator wrote:
"
Does increasing item level increase the probability of the best affixes to roll?

no

"
does any weapon item level 73 and above have an equal probability of rolling Tyrannical?

yes

I may be wrong here and I would like anyone who knows better to chirp in and correct me, I dont know for sure but Ive heard things over time and this was not the impression I am under.

The answer to the first question is no, and the answer to the second question is also no. an ilvl81 item doesnt have an equal probability of rolling Tyrannical, is has LESS of a probability of rolling Tyrannical.

I think it was Kripp who I first heard explain this, and at the time I was like rly? That sounds kind of strange? But Ive since heard other people say, maybe its a myth but here goes...

the mod pool you are rolling from is not all the possible affixes, its all the tiers of possible affixes. I cant be bothered counting, but lets say for the sake of theory here that theres 100 different tiers of mods at lvl73, Tyran is a tier (phys), Wicked is a tier (phys), Unleached is a tier (wed), Thirsty is a tier (mana leech) etc. That means theres 100 different things that can roll at ilvl73 and you want 1 of them. Its not as simple as 1/100 chance because again, I believe not sure, they are weighted so X tier of this affix is more rare than x tier of this other affix etc, but lets forget thats possibly a thing for the moment, its 1/100 chance...

heres the thing, at ilvl74 "Cremating" tier flat Fire Damage is added and Electrocuting Lightning Damage is added, so at ilvl74 you have at least 2 other things that can roll, so now you have a 1/102 chance of getting your Tyrannical, every ilvl above 73 you go more tiers of affixes are added and the chance of getting the previous ones goes down because the mod pool is being diluted by more and more possible rolls. So its not like % phys has a fixed probability, then when you roll it the game makes another roll to see what tier you got, all the tiers are like their own thing in a soup of possible mods.

source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9iqWwYRkfY

is this really the case? I dunno.
that the chance is slightly lower because of larger affix pool, right?

maybe, dunno, cant be sure.. someone saying something (that is based only on his opnion) on the internet) isnt too reliable source:) just about the same as my or your opinion.. we have no idea how it works. but have to admit it kinda makes sense

there are leaked % chance of mods to spawn spreadsheets on wiki. Interesting is that the sum is not 100%, but it is sightly less (97.826% in my example - 1h sword prefix), wonder why.. Now the thing is how these chances adjust in case the sum is not 100%, when whole pool is not available (because of ilvl) or one prefix already taken (ie added cold damage has 9 prefixes for total 19.602%). Are all the prefix chances multiplied by the same constant to be 100% total again, or is there some other method? I guess only devs know..

yea, it was not too "honest" from me to give OP definite answers, they were more like "how it think it should be"
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Dec 7, 2014, 2:54:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info