Nerf to accuracy?

"
zSavage wrote:

1.) Buff reflect. (This one makes me quiver already)
2.) Weaken mechanisms players use to mitigate reflect. Current methods include:
-Block/Spell Block
-Acrobatics/Phase Acro
-Ondar's Guile (for attack projectile users)
-Mind over Matter and AA
-CWDT + EC + IC combo
-Instant leech (acuity's, vaal pact, or bloodseeker)

Of these, GGG's current tree release seems to indicate block and acrobatics being nerfed.

These are things that GGG could do to 'nerf' crit without actually changing current crit mechanisms.

1) Reflect was nerfed because too many QQ over that
2) Block/Spell Block - we are already getting that, so that is covered
Acrobatics/Phase Acro - acro is already getting the 30% less block chance
Ondar's Guile - You are trying to make Evasion build unattractive :3
Mind Over Matter and AA - There is too much investment in making this work, just to shaft it
CWDT + EC + IC combo - I never used this combo, so I do not know about this one
Instant leech - Acuity is the criminal here. Vaal Pact is balanced, and so is Bloodseeker.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 7, 2014, 5:04:32 PM
"
zSavage wrote:
Before I talk about changing accuracy, a few things about the 'ermagerd nurf crit plz' stuff:

1.) I personally do not think that crit in its current state is extremely overpowered. Crit is fun, for one thing, and I'm not sure why people are complaining about it. The best damage in any game of this type should be critical based; that's the entire point of criticals: more damage.

That said, some of the top DPS builds (I'm looking at Rainbownuke and related Mjolner builds in particular) are not crit.

2.) It's really Acuity's that make crit insane at the higher levels, due to their instant leech, as the largest weakness of any crit build is reflect.

Other reflect mitigation concepts apply here to a lesser extent.

Now on to the topic at hand.

Nerfing accuracy is not the solution to this problem. Most non-RT builds must invest in one or two entire accuracy clusters (at higher levels) to keep hit chance above 85%. It's not a good idea to force every non crit attacking build to go the the extreme left of the tree just to be able to hit consistently.

If you really want to balance crit in the PvE environment, it needs to be less safe. To do this, there's several things GGG can do:

1.) Buff reflect. (This one makes me quiver already)
2.) Weaken mechanisms players use to mitigate reflect. Current methods include:
-Block/Spell Block
-Acrobatics/Phase Acro
-Ondar's Guile (for attack projectile users)
-Mind over Matter and AA
-CWDT + EC + IC combo
-Instant leech (acuity's, vaal pact, or bloodseeker)

Of these, GGG's current tree release seems to indicate block and acrobatics being nerfed.

These are things that GGG could do to 'nerf' crit without actually changing current crit mechanisms.

I don't think crit is really that op either, Its a little high, but ultimately I agree that it should be the strongest.

The more I think about it accuracy probably isnt the big fixer here, I just assumed it would be the one to do it because it effect's attack but not spells. And I don't think spells need nerfing.
I have an idea of splitting crit into 2 strands, but its so quarter baked right now, basically 1 type of crit that crits often and hits weaker, the other crits less often and hits harder.
I think im going to pass out soon.
"
Waffl3x wrote:

I don't think crit is really that op either, Its a little high, but ultimately I agree that it should be the strongest.

The more I think about it accuracy probably isnt the big fixer here, I just assumed it would be the one to do it because it effect's attack but not spells. And I don't think spells need nerfing.
I have an idea of splitting crit into 2 strands, but its so quarter baked right now, basically 1 type of crit that crits often and hits weaker, the other crits less often and hits harder.
I think im going to pass out soon.

Spell Crit builds are just as deadly or even more deadly than attack crit builds. No investment in accuracy, no problem. I have Ice spell crit build (Ice Spear for the most part) that is litterally clearing things at a very high speed even up to 76/77 maps. There is not much money investment in this, hell the budget for the build only comes at 50% of what that 300+ DPS claw cost me.

Funny thing is, that ice spell crit build is going to get buffed in the upcoming patch. lol
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 7, 2014, 5:11:53 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

Mind Over Matter and AA - There is too much investment in making this work, just to shaft it

I agree with you and that argument. But me and others used the same argument to legitimate pre 1.3 block.
"
lolozori wrote:
There is no need of accuracy with spells.
It would just make Spells critters the new meta
Considering how much less damage spell crit deals than dagger crit...

At least it would be a healthier meta.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Sa_Re wrote:

I agree with you and that argument. But me and others used the same argument to legitimate pre 1.3 block.

To be honest, block has always been the strongest defensive stats, and I always felt it will eventually be nerfed. Took them this long to finally get around it. I wonder how long crit will last before Mjonir slams down on it, or will crit remain omnipotent?

Balancing other defensive stats to make crit builds more glass-cannon is not the way to go. Builds that do not revolve around crit and use those defensive stats to make up for the lack of defense would just suffer from this.

- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Sa_Re wrote:

To be honest, block has always been the strongest defensive stats, and I always felt it will eventually be nerfed.

Yeah exactly. But it had a high opportunity cost which apparently doesn't justify it for the devs. We have to find other arguments for not nerving AA + MoM. E.g. it's mainly useful for casters which don't have easy access to other kinds of defenses like Eva with ondar's, acrobatics with it's ES reduction or the limited leech possibilities.
"
Sa_Re wrote:

Yeah exactly. But it had a high opportunity cost which apparently doesn't justify it for the devs. We have to find other arguments for not nerving AA + MoM. E.g. it's mainly useful for casters which don't have easy access to other kinds of defenses like Eva with ondar's, acrobatics with it's ES reduction or the limited leech possibilities.

The devs have been all over the place this year, and I find it kind of odd. At this point, I feel like another company took over GGG for all these decisions (I am just joking on this part). I am not sure what to make out of this anymore.

Is it so damn hard to a soft cap (a diminishing return) on crit chance + crit multiplier? The only ones that are effected are the ones that tries to break the game. I know this will hurt those put effort into it, but nerfing other things to balance crit is just not the way to go.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

1) Reflect was nerfed because too many QQ over that
2) Block/Spell Block - we are already getting that, so that is covered
Acrobatics/Phase Acro - acro is already getting the 30% less block chance
Ondar's Guile - You are trying to make Evasion build unattractive :3
CWDT + EC + IC combo - I never used this combo, so I do not know about this one
Instant leech - Acuity is the criminal here. Vaal Pact is balanced, and so is Bloodseeker.

On 2) I was just listing the current methods players use, not suggesting that all these should be nerfed. But you came to the same general conclusions I did.

Block and Acro are getting hit, especially when used together.

I think Ondar's is fine as is. It would be neat if we could get the keystone on a unique or something for builds that are on the extreme left side of the tree.

I think MoM and AA are fine as is. (though I would like to see a way to reduce AA's mana drain so I could use it in specs that don't have 3.5K+ mana)

The real culprit for the CWDT combo is that immortal call >> armor. I think armor should be buffed a little personally. I hope the duelist armor nodes make it back into the tree.

I agree that Acuity is the culprit here. I personally would like to see Vaal pact buffed (something like 50% or 60% leech efficiency instead of the 40% it is now). Bloodseeker is fine (Though I would like it to do more DPS :{) )
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
zSavage wrote:
I agree that Acuity is the culprit here. I personally would like to see Vaal pact buffed (something like 50% or 60% leech efficiency instead of the 40% it is now). Bloodseeker is fine (Though I would like it to do more DPS :{) )

I apologize if I came out with a harsh tone in the post. :3

Honestly, I never understood the nerf of VP. It was too convenient that the nerf occurred at the same time when Acuity came out. It was like GGG was hinting out "if you want old VP back, you better work for it by running Uber Atziri nonstop." Even then, Acuity is even better than the old VP, because VP only applies to life.

The drawback(s) to using Bloodseeker is low DPS, and that the instant life leech is local. The drawback the claw having low DPS should be enough, but GGG took into consideration that crit can still make this weapon very deadly, so they made sure that life leech can only be applied to the unique item itself, making it harder for the player to make this an obvious claw to have in end-game.

However, Acuity is pretty much laughing at Bloodseeker that balance was never taken into consideration for it. Though, I can understand that Acuity can be considered the finish-line item. It is messaged out that you won the game in a sense. So in sense, all I can say is...meh.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 8, 2014, 2:16:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info