Does the weapon change a Spell Damage?

I'm using freezing pulse and I'm not sure how damage from spell works.
Weapon damage does not affect spell damage. What you want is a weapon that has the "increased spell damage" mod. Preferably "increased critical strike chance for spells" and "increased projectile speed" too, but spell damage is most important.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
on the top of all i would prefer to have a wand/sceptre with cast speed. i would even go for inc ele damage(catalyst) if you dont have a high crit chance
Check our recruitment thread if curious

Twitch: PoE_Vincam
I thought stuff like Catalyse won't effect spell damage because it's not based off the weapons.
"
Tomerf wrote:
I thought stuff like Catalyse won't effect spell damage because it's not based off the weapons.
This is true. The above poster means Doryani's Catalyst.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
The weapon itself has no influence on spells but the extra attributes can.

Out of all the weapon types, only three generally can have boni to spells (except for some uniques): Wands have some extra spell damage, Daggers have some extra global crit that will work for both spells and attacks, Sceptres have elemental damage, Staves have some chance to block attacks and all four weapony types can roll additional mods that will affect your spells.
The mods rolled on the weapon are usually much more important than the weapon itself for a caster build so just look out for a weapon (most casters use wands or daggers) with any combination of the following mods:
- spell damage (or elemental damage)
- cast speed
- critical strike chance for spells (or global crit chance)
- +1-2 levels of elemental gems
(- projectile speed. mostly only interesting for Freezing Pulse or Ethereal Knives)
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Dec 6, 2014, 10:39:36 PM
Somehow i missed that you were talking specifically about Freezing Pulse (FP in short, link leads to the wiki page with some more info). Shouldn't dwell in the forum at 4am i guess xD

Generally you could use each of the caster suited weapons i described above but there are two weapon types that are better suited for FP by default, Wands and Daggers.
FP creates a projectile that looses power as it travels over time. The faster its projectile speed, the further it reaches before it starts dissipating and loosing its power.
The projectile does medium damage overall but the skill casts very fast and has a high base critical strike chance, meaning any crit chance increases from gear/passives are rather effective.

Wands:
- one handed so they can be used with a shield or another wand
- small-medium inplicit bonus to spell damage
- can roll +projectile speed which is great for FP

Daggers:
- also one handed
- medium-high implicit crit bonus that applies to all of your attacks and spells (= global crit chance increase)
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info