world of nerf

I'm seeing far to many people wanting skills and items to be nerfed.

Please stop there is no need to nerf if you have played any game that has skills and weapons or whatever you will notice there is optimal set ups.

Nerfing is not the answer buffing is buff useless skills and uniques to help create a variety.

Once you have a nice quantity of op builds, create a variety of end bosses that can be done by some builds but not others.

Diversity is the key. Yes daggers are op so bring other builds up to balance create spells that won't Work on cast on crit ie echo. Make single target attacks more desirable. Have tougher rares so aoe builds will struggle but single dps will breeze through.
"
Drayid wrote:

Please stop there is no need to nerf if you have played any game that has skills and weapons or whatever you will notice there is optimal set ups.

Nerfing is not the answer buffing is buff useless skills and uniques to help create a variety.

Once you have a nice quantity of op builds, create a variety of end bosses that can be done by some builds but not others.

Diversity is the key. Yes daggers are op so bring other builds up to balance create spells that won't Work on cast on crit ie echo. Make single target attacks more desirable. Have tougher rares so aoe builds will struggle but single dps will breeze through.

Fo whatever it may be worth, that isn't the answer either. That only leads to power creep. If balance (a variety of viable builds) is your goal then power creep is a big no-no.

The answer is to use a combination of both buffs and nerfs. The correct combination depends heavily on the game and the current meta in question which is why saying things like "nerf, nerf, nerfzorz" or
"buff, buff, buff or I'll huff and puff and blow your game down" are equally silly.
"
f4sak3n wrote:
"
Drayid wrote:

Fo whatever it may be worth, that isn't the answer either. That only leads to power creep. If balance (a variety of viable builds) is your goal then power creep is a big no-no.

The answer is to use a combination of both buffs and nerfs. The correct combination depends heavily on the game and the current meta in question which is why saying things like "nerf, nerf, nerfzorz" or
"buff, buff, buff or I'll huff and puff and blow your game down" are equally silly.

Imo, it only creates a power creep if the things that are being buffed get buffed too much making them the new powerful thing to use, if you can manage a good balance with the buffs and bring things more in line with some of the other powerful things without it being too much of a buff, then the "most powerful" potential doesn't increase, yet there is more variety to choose from at that power level.

I also feel it is ok and kind of a good thing to have items/builds that are really rare and in turn powerful, to give players a goal to work towards and let them feel rewarded for their time investment and reaching that goal of obtaining a really strong and very rare item. If we keep going in this nerf,nerf, nerf, direction it is going to turn a lot of the players that like to work towards a goal away.

The sad part is, in today's generation of young players, they don't see things as a goal to work towards, they don't understand time investment vs reward, they want things one of two ways:

1. Give me what they players who invest more time than me the same things
or
2. If I can't have it easily, then no one should have it, nerf everything.
Last edited by whoismiked on Nov 13, 2014, 8:26:32 AM
If something is OP and instead of nerfing it, you buff everything else to become OP... isn't that the definition of power creep?
"
wooli wrote:
If something is OP and instead of nerfing it, you buff everything else to become OP... isn't that the definition of power creep?

Just because something is claimed to be op, usually by someone who does not own said "Op" item, doesn't mean it is truly OP.

People tend to toss around "OP" too often with things that are just really good, especially if said item is rather rare/expensive and not so easily affordable, so the people who refuses to work towards it are the ones with the "OP" outcries, but of course the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Notice you only hear cries of OP with expensive / rare items? Because the people who do not want to work towards it and the ones to cry about it.

I can agree there are some items/skills that are really lacking, and could use some adjustment to make them more viable, which would give more variety to what is good out there, but I do not agree with most of the "OP" claims that people make.

We need good items so there is something to work towards and people who works towards said items can feel good about all the time (or luck) that was involved in getting to that point.
Last edited by whoismiked on Nov 13, 2014, 12:03:20 PM
I have no problem with nerfs as long as other stuff is buffed to keep the Shadow fun. On a side note, I rather have a bunch of dagger exiles than everyone running around with a bow.
"
whoismiked wrote:

Just because something is claimed to be op, usually by someone who does not own said "Op" item, doesn't mean it is truly OP.

One does not have to own gear to apply simplified formulas:

95% crit chance, 1000% crit multi, 300% increased damage in gear/tree:
base damage * (1+300%) * (1000%) = 4000% increased base damage
(add more multipliers for attackspeed, melee damage gem etc if you want, but this applies to non crit as well)

...it's impossible to reach such a number (~4000%) with "increased" only.

-> imbalance
-> "op"

The current game mechanics (how gems are working, how crit mechanics are working) make crit at least 10times better than non-crit.
And they make crit damage 10times better than it has to be to beat the content.

So calling for a "nerf" is not without reason. It's just too good.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Nov 13, 2014, 1:30:28 PM
Nerfs are comming , prepare yourselves .
R.I.P 4.B.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
95% crit chance, 1000% crit multi, 300% increased damage in gear/tree:

It's not actually possible to get 95% crit chance given accuracy - 90%ish is it.

Yes, it seems too high unless you add in other ways to multiply that cannot be combined with crit; but that's not necessarily terribly hard. I.e. damage boost nodes which sit behind RT, or abyssus type items that only work if you have RT.

The OP has a point though. Everyone's hating on crit and it's worrisome that GGG may take steps which will not only massively nerf people who spent hundreds or thousands of hours to perfect that one build, making them feel like they have to quit, but actually nerf the majority of players by a large amount, making most people feel crapped on and also feel like quitting.

If people can agree nothing else, hopefully they can agree less players of the game is a *bad* thing.
Nerfs are the way to go for good game balance!

At times you should also buff, but generally that happens anyway with every new feature (since they want them to be used).

New features implemented are usually overpowered, and thus they need to be nerfed later. If you start buffing everything else up to the level of the new stuff, then you get power creep which is generally a bad thing for a game...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info